HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 8:22 PM

Transat will only have two flights a week from Hamilton.

Cancun - 1x Weekly (Mondays), Starts Dec 20
Punta Cana - 1x Weekly (Sundays), Starts Dec 19

All the other routes got removed from the booking system.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 12:53 PM

DHL new facility is now in operation.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
DHL new facility is now in operation.
Awesome, how goes the Amazon build, anyone been there lately?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 12:44 AM

It’s still getting built but it’s fully enclosed and looks like it’s getting closer to being done.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
It’s still getting built but it’s fully enclosed and looks like it’s getting closer to being done.
Thanks for that, suspect the hiring spree will kick in before late fall

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I have been told that there are some operation now operating in the building. The useful space in the building is vastly more than the 850,000 sqft foot print. The building is 4 stories tall and they have parts of the building that have 4 floors inside of it. I don't remember the total space in the building.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 3:44 AM

Quote:
I have been told that there are some operation now operating in the building. The useful space in the building is vastly more than the 850,000 sqft foot print. The building is 4 stories tall and they have parts of the building that have 4 floors inside of it. I don't remember the total space in the building.
I have an outstanding Amazon order that tracking shows "Amazon Facility Mount Hope Ont". Although, since it came from "Amazon Facility Richmond BC", this might be Cargojet's facility that it as actually scanned through.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 9:14 PM

Video of the 2 Amazon planes being based in Hamilton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kfp56yEoZ8

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 9:42 PM

CBC: Porter Airlines orders up to 80 new planes, will start flying out of Toronto's Pearson airport
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/por...rson-1.6099526

I wonder if this spells the end for the detoured YTZ flights to Hamilton after curfew now that Porter has Pearson slots.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 11:02 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl08 View Post
CBC: Porter Airlines orders up to 80 new planes, will start flying out of Toronto's Pearson airport
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/por...rson-1.6099526

I wonder if this spells the end for the detoured YTZ flights to Hamilton after curfew now that Porter has Pearson slots.
Pearson has noise restrictions and limits on flights between 12:30 and 6:30 AM. Maybe that would allow for Porter to conduct some business at that time, but I'd think the airport would rather use the "night flight budget" on larger planes flying internationally?
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/co...g-restrictions

I'm surprised Porter isn't considering YHM though. I imagine Westjet and AC will work hard to put the squeeze on them at YYZ.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 7:05 PM

UPS has changed their daily aircraft into YHM from an A300-600F to a larger B767-300 aircraft. This is a permanent change.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 7:07 PM

Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum

Re-opening on July 21 with new hours:
9 am - 5 pm Wednesday – Sunday.
Closed Monday – Tuesday.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:26 PM

So whats happening at YHM?

Region of Waterloo breaks ground on airport expansion, which will double its size

It's projected to grow to one million passengers per year by 2023

Jul 30, 2021 6:30 AM By: KitchenerToday Staff

Demand to fly in and out of Waterloo Region is expected to soar in the coming years.

On Thursday, the Region of Waterloo broke ground on an ambitious expansion to twice its current size.

"This expansion will add jobs to our economy, help attract businesses and talent to our region, and support the tourism industry as we begin to move past the pandemic," said Regional Chair Karen Redman. "We live in one of the fastest growing communities in the country, and will remain a growth leader in the coming years and decades."

Communitech and the Waterloo Region tech ecosystem are also pleased with the expansion.

"Tech ecosystems are always looking for talent, capital, and customers," said Matt Bondy, VP of External Affairs at Communitech. "We're going to get more of all three with the doubling of YKF."

The expansion will cost about $17 million, and could be part of an overall commitment of up to $44 million.

The work includes the construction of an addition to a passenger hold room, along with a bag claim building.

According to staff, this will improve capacity with an expected increase to passengers, with the arrival of Flair Airlines.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local...s-size-4180284

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 10:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Sounds like they're expanding the way Hamilton has been... a piece or two at a time.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:43 AM

Quote:
So whats happening at YHM?

Region of Waterloo breaks ground on airport expansion, which will double its size

It's projected to grow to one million passengers per year by 2023

Jul 30, 2021 6:30 AM By: KitchenerToday Staff

Demand to fly in and out of Waterloo Region is expected to soar in the coming years.

On Thursday, the Region of Waterloo broke ground on an ambitious expansion to twice its current size.

The work includes the construction of an addition to a passenger hold room, along with a bag claim building.

According to staff, this will improve capacity with an expected increase to passengers, with the arrival of Flair Airlines.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local...s-size-4180284
I actually flew into YKF in May because it was way cheaper than flying to YHM. The one unfortunate thing with YHM is the lack of competition and I think it might be hurting our pax.

For example,
YHM-YYC is $362, one way through Westjet
YKF-YYC is $95 one way through Westjet
YYZ-YYC is $115 one way through Westjet

I also noticed in June that Westjet had more capacity at YKF than at YHM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 2:49 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
I actually flew into YKF in May because it was way cheaper than flying to YHM. The one unfortunate thing with YHM is the lack of competition and I think it might be hurting our pax.

For example,
YHM-YYC is $362, one way through Westjet
YKF-YYC is $95 one way through Westjet
YYZ-YYC is $115 one way through Westjet

I also noticed in June that Westjet had more capacity at YKF than at YHM.
That price difference is ridiculous. Do they want their Hamilton service to fail?

I wonder what will happen once the market returns to a "normal" state. Maybe that's another reason for the huge discrepancy, aside from trying to beat Flair and others -- more demand during the pandemic in KW and Toronto, but in Hamilton they're trying to maximize what they can get for the number of flyers.

Definitely need some competition here though for service to Canadian cities (and hopefully others in the US beyond Orlando and St. Petersburg, eventually). Westjet has carte blanche to game that service.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Aug 5, 2021 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 9:30 PM

In general terms the high fares out of YHM are likely a sign the service is successful -- capacity discipline also contributes to it. At YHM you essentially have a Westjet monopoly as Swoop is owned by Westjet vs YKF where Westjet and Flair are in direct competition or YYZ where there is broad competition.

I'm a semi-regular flyer with Aeroplan tier status at AC. My regular airport is YQG. Fares out of YQG are extraordinarily high currently -- mainly due to limited competition (PD not flying) and capacity discipline on the part of both AC (currently 3x daily vs up to 8x daily pre-covid) and WS (less than daily currently). I am travelling to YVR in September - $330+ each way out of YQG, $133 each way out of YYZ. Of course there is always some pricing premium on AC out of the Ontario regional airports -- but more than double is unheard of (until now). I did YQG-YOW roundtrip with a 5 week advanced purchase in July and paid close to $500 r/t. Fares are high everywhere with demand up and capacity down. Even VIA's discount fare buckets in the Corridor are now frequently sold out (example, yesterday evening the walk-up fare in VIA1 between Toronto and Windsor was $259.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 6:13 PM

Feds kicking in $5M to help with YHM recover costs due to pandemic.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...892703446.html

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 7:55 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelessjoe View Post
In general terms the high fares out of YHM are likely a sign the service is successful -- capacity discipline also contributes to it. At YHM you essentially have a Westjet monopoly as Swoop is owned by Westjet vs YKF where Westjet and Flair are in direct competition or YYZ where there is broad competition.

I'm a semi-regular flyer with Aeroplan tier status at AC. My regular airport is YQG. Fares out of YQG are extraordinarily high currently -- mainly due to limited competition (PD not flying) and capacity discipline on the part of both AC (currently 3x daily vs up to 8x daily pre-covid) and WS (less than daily currently). I am travelling to YVR in September - $330+ each way out of YQG, $133 each way out of YYZ. Of course there is always some pricing premium on AC out of the Ontario regional airports -- but more than double is unheard of (until now). I did YQG-YOW roundtrip with a 5 week advanced purchase in July and paid close to $500 r/t. Fares are high everywhere with demand up and capacity down. Even VIA's discount fare buckets in the Corridor are now frequently sold out (example, yesterday evening the walk-up fare in VIA1 between Toronto and Windsor was $259.
That makes sense too.

Did you fly often out of Detroit pre-pandemic? Hamilton's other challenge has been availability of cheaper flights from Buffalo, and I imagine Windsor suffers from that too during a "normal" time.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 10:30 PM

Happened to be at the Airport today. Across the road, easterly, from the new DHL building is a large open field with a LIUNA/Fengate sign on it. Not aware of a project there, can anyone update or advise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure