HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 11:55 PM

I wonder how I got 11 instead of 13 from the render. Well no complaints here on two extra floors.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:49 PM
dazzle me

so from an article on homelessness, according to bevan dufty it looks like 1950 mission street (the abandoned continuing education high school campus thing on mission between 15th and 16th that's probably blight number one in the entire mission) is on track for a construction start this year. the socketsite run down is here with what we know so far, notice the absurd level of underground parking available for a bmr project, the city just pissing money away to provide parking on subsidized units, imagine if instead of throwing that money at automobile storage in non-market housing they instead spent the ~$1.5-2 million on another floor of dwelling units.

"The center will be a pilot project, he said, and will probably have to be moved later in the year when construction begins on an affordable housing center targeted for the site, which used to house Phoenix Continuation High School."
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...on-6016223.php

also, per a registry article that mentioned "Tishman Speyer is exploring an arrangement with the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corp. to provide the project’s off-site affordable housing requirements at 5th and Howard streets" - the project being the 4th and townsend tower slated to replace the creamery and other junky buildings and surface lot.

so i did the sleuthing on the SFPIM and discovered that an application has indeed been filed for the surface parking lot and adjacent 2 story structure (206 5th st and 915 howard st) for the following: These will be replaced by a mixed-use, mixed-income residential project including 60 affordable units (studios, 1, 2 & 3-BR) and 112 market rate units (studio, 1 & 2-BR) for a total of 121,000 sf of residential space in 8/4 stories. Additionally, there will be 9,895 gsf ground floor retail at the corner of 5th & Howard.

i hate that lot and i'm very glad that there are plans in the works. i'd assumed that it was part of the 5m project and developing in that 10 year timeline, so i'm glad to see that it's controlled by shorenstein and working on a more rapid timeline. also, i sort of like that so much bmr would be going in here to keep the neighborhood somewhat legit in the face of aggressive change/improvement.

Last edited by a very long weekend; Jan 15, 2015 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 1:13 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

75 car parking spaces for 150 housing units is not great, but certainly not the worst either. Most cities require 1:1, and most lenders insist on it even if not required.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:29 AM
dazzle me

yeah, but this is the city building straight below market rate housing, not some private builder. that extra money could be used to build more units at this transit rich intersection, rather than to provide underground parking to subsidized housing. we only have so many sites like this available! like, i absolutely support non-market housing and city ownership, but when we're looking at how we want limited housing dollars to be spent and limited land used, personally, i don't want a single dollar going to parking lots for subsidized tenants when that money could instead go to more subsidized tenants. like think about it, it's outrageous. is there one good reason other than some sop about how subsidized tenants shouldn't be deprived of the mainstream american expectation of a place to park their automobile?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 10:57 PM
Build Baby Build

Pic dump! All from today

Lumina & Neighbors

350 Mission St

Transbay Terminal

299 Fremont? I can't even tell.

Transbay Terminal

222 Second

SFMOMA

6th & Howard Defenestration coming down

1415 Mission

1400 Mission has just two floors of facade to go. It will probably open in the summer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 11:24 PM
Sonoma Strong

Looking good! Thanks for the update!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 10:31 PM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 2:50 AM
heavy user of walkability

Market and Sanchez

in case anyone missed it on curbed, 2198 Market project (at Sanchez) has broken ground, finally!

(larger shots at curbed)

87 units on what had sat as a cleared lot for a few years. I like the color palette; hope the materials make it stand up. I think this is the third project in recent years at this intersection, so quite a little transformation

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 3:59 AM

Market & Sanchez Streets

timbad - thanks for pointing out the construction. I was by the site this week & missed the stirrings there. Though I am not excited with the grey & black tones it might be a winner in the final product. I do like the "tower" on the corner. Now that the lot is being developed, where will I buy my next Christmas tree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
in case anyone missed it on curbed, 2198 Market project (at Sanchez) has broken ground, finally!

(larger shots at curbed)

87 units on what had sat as a cleared lot for a few years. I like the color palette; hope the materials make it stand up. I think this is the third project in recent years at this intersection, so quite a little transformation

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 5:53 AM

Dogpatch - Third and 23rd

not sure how recent a development this is, since I haven't been down that way in a few months, but this project of 258 condos at the corner of Third St and 23rd, and reaching back to Tennessee St, has fencing up and looks like a little demolition has taken place (behind fencing, not visible in pics).

the corner of Third and 23rd:

looking more north up Third to give a little context:

looking west down 23rd:

the 'back' of the site - looking north up Tennessee. all four buildings on the right are to be demolished

renderings from socketsite:

massing, showing mid-block passage between Third (on left in this south-facing view) and Tennessee:

at 23rd is where all signs of housing and 'neighborhood' peter out as you move south down Third (you're definitely in sometimes-no-sidewalks territory here), so this project has always seemed like a 'flag-planter' to me, sort of shoring up one of the current boundaries of Dogpatch. (hopefully in future it will be 25th St, then Cesar Chavez, that will feel like the edge). as this is also on the T streetcar line and walking distance from the Caltrain 22nd St stop, I am feeling positive about this one

Last edited by timbad; Jan 18, 2015 at 6:04 AM. Reason: added second socketsite image

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 4:20 PM

Lots of new infill beginning construction. Great to see! Thanks for the photos/updates everyone.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 12:30 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Glad to see Sanchez/Market going up--it's been underutilized my whole lifetime, first as a gas station and then the last few years as an empty lot. I live two blocks away and hadn't noticed the start of construction.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:23 PM
dazzle me

proposed for 1394 harrison, at the corner of harrison and 10th:

we're talking 76 "efficiency" units over 2631 square feet of commercial and a maxed out 38 parking spaces along with bike parking and a carshare space, 55 feet tall. no timeline yet but the project ppa was submitted back in august of last year.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 12:12 AM

^^ current site is a self car wash if anyone was curious.

That rooftop balcony thing is kinda weird. looks like one of those ventilation tubes on a ship deck. or an aftermarket intake valve on a rice rocket.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 9:58 AM

this David Baker project is going up... taken from Caltrain (moving, dirty windows as always):

Quote:
The Dr. George Davis Senior Building will feature 121 one- and two-bedroom affordable rental apartments for seniors.
it sits behind 5800 Third St in Bayview, which opened a few years ago now, and can be seen in the pic

the new project is Lot 42 in this image (lot 41 will be market-rate):

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:22 PM

Took a stroll through FiDi/SOMA yesterday evening shortly after sunset (sorry if the iphone shots are not great).

500 Pine excavation

350 Bush

222 2nd in context
(from 2nd & Mission)

(from 1st & Howard)

350 Mission nestled between its neighbors

Block 6 + Lumina

399 Fremont

45 Lansing
(I'll have to go back during the day but it doesn't look like it is quite topped out. There are ten floors of cladding to go)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 4:36 AM

Was jogging through southern FIDI over the weekend, looks like something may be going on with the 2 story building at the NW corner of 2nd and mission. The last of the 3 ground floor retail establishments that I can recall being open was a barber shop on the mission side. Sign in the window looks like it closed and moved elsewhere. I used to work in the neighborhood (until about a year ago), and think the corner store and the restaurant on 2nd have been closed for awhile. I wonder if it was recently sold, or is now on the market. Prime location for a much taller building if so.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
... looks like something may be going on with the 2 story building at the NW corner of 2nd and mission. ... I wonder if it was recently sold, or is now on the market. Prime location for a much taller building if so.
I hope this is just going to be for renovation - I think the building has charm, adds to its surroundings, and is worth keeping. and is a pretty skinny lot to build tall on. we'll see

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 8:04 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I hope this is just going to be for renovation - I think the building has charm, adds to its surroundings, and is worth keeping. and is a pretty skinny lot to build tall on. we'll see
Yeah, it's too small a parcel to put up anything substantial. Maybe add two or three floors above it, max.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 9:25 PM

101 Polk (and a suicide)

The view of 101 Polk as of 01/21/15. It is very strange for me to see a highrise in the view after so many years living across the street. As far as I can tell the property may not have been developed since the 1906 earthquake & has been a parking lot since I moved into the Fox Plaza 44 years ago.

What is missing from the pole in the foreground? The street light. A man apparently committed suicide on the 19th of January. He landed in the bike lane. (The link for the picture shows the light fixture on the sidewalk. Don't worry as I have self censored the photo!) On the way down his body hit the light pole taking down the whole fixture. This is the 10th suicide by someone falling from the Fox Plaza that I am aware of in the 44 years of my residence.

101 Polk Street - 2015_01_21

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations