HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:31 AM

A Dollarama-type store is inevitable for the area, and there's not really much suitable space for it currently. Maybe at Gilmore Station, maybe in the existing mall at Brentwood.. I don't think that it's exactly what Shape is looking for for the first phase of the new Brentwood, though.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 5:22 AM

Moving in as a resident I care more about groceries and restaurants, once the place is furnished I don't really care about Crate and Barrel. That's the balancing act that will have to be done if they want to cater to both the people that live there as well as being a shopping destination.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 6:49 AM

Nightingale would be huuuuuge if that's actually true...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 7:49 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
I see Vancity bank/credit union also is opening at TAB. Ground level. Near skytrain staircase/bus stop. Men working inside (on a Saturday too) a very well lit unit/space with some red strip/panels + Vancity word/text already. Won't be surprised if that opens before year end.

I just noticed Vancity bank will be vacating it's branch from Madison Centre as of November 2019.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 4:01 AM

word on the street says Nightingale backed out cuz they wanted the same spot that Cactus got

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangeray View Post
word on the street says Nightingale backed out cuz they wanted the same spot that Cactus got
TAB is becoming less and less amazing because of the inappropriate selection of retail merchants .... with food court/neighbourhood type eateries taking center stage, squeezing out truly first class restaurants. Proximity to transit alone is no longer enough to attracts buyers in this market flooded with presale developments.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarBreStr18 View Post
TAB is becoming less and less amazing because of the inappropriate selection of retail merchants .... with food court/neighbourhood type eateries taking center stage, squeezing out truly first class restaurants. Proximity to transit alone is no longer enough to attracts buyers in this market flooded with presale developments.
I think you're over-estimating what people look for when looking for places to live.

I'm not looking at a place to live because they have Saks, Bloomingdale and Neimann Marcus, L’Abattoir or Blue Water Cafe downstairs or across the street.
Most people don't mind taking the drive to downtown to visit those kinds of high-end places for a fancy night out and to treat themselves..

Most people looking for a place to live first and foremost primarily want convenience.
And with transit being a big part of that (and taken care of in this instance) you then consider things like proximity to groceries and food stores, drug stores, wineries and places to eat where I can take the family to eat for a decent (but not uber-costly meal) for those occasional nights when we don't have time to prepare dinner at home but also don't want to get dressed up to the nines on a school night.

TAB more than covers all these bases. Or at least it will when completely built out and the mall is completely refurbished an redeveloped.
And it's location and proximity to transit lanes and downtown, Metrotown etc, takes care of getting to places with more high-end needs when they arise.

Why people have this obsession with super-upscaling these kinds of residential projects to beyond the level of even high-end buyers in this market is beyond me.
It's a situation that's neither good for the retailers in question nor for the residents or the surrounding area - especially in a location that's specifically not planned to be that way.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
I think you're over-estimating what people look for when looking for places to live.

I'm not looking at a place to live because they have Saks, Bloomingdale and Neimann Marcus, L’Abattoir or Blue Water Cafe downstairs or across the street.
Most people don't mind taking the drive to downtown to visit those kinds of high-end places for a fancy night out and to treat themselves..

Most people looking for a place to live first and foremost primarily want convenience.
And with transit being a big part of that (and taken care of in this instance) you then consider things like proximity to groceries and food stores, drug stores, wineries and places to eat where I can take the family to eat for a decent (but not uber-costly meal) for those occasional nights when we don't have time to prepare dinner at home but also don't want to get dressed up to the nines on a school night.

TAB more than covers all these bases. Or at least it will when completely built out and the mall is completely refurbished an redeveloped.
And it's location and proximity to transit lanes and downtown, Metrotown etc, takes care of getting to places with more high-end needs when they arise.

Why people have this obsession with super-upscaling these kinds of residential projects to beyond the level of even high-end buyers in this market is beyond me.
It's a situation that's neither good for the retailers in question nor for the residents or the surrounding area - especially in a location that's specifically not planned to be that way.
What makes you think people are obsessed with high end retail? I think many just want a good balance of retail types in a urban centre.The only reason why there are hopes that Brentwood mall will become high end is because there really isn't a lot of such in the Vancouver region. Solo District and the other smaller malls, including Gilmore Place, can take care of the lower end stuff.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 10:33 PM

Hmmm people are thinking high end retail because that's what Brentwood has been promoting. From the article posted a couple days ago.

Quote:
To achieve an optimal mix of global luxury, mid-market, and local-serving retail, the developer partnered with global firm L Catterton Real Estate to turn TAB into a mall with high-calibre architecture, public art, and world-renowned and luxury retail brands.
So for them not to have high end retail here would be to really drop the ball. Have there been any announcements for it yet?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 12:01 AM

Like what a previous poster mentioned... it's a balancing act.
Maybe just these initial openings are more of the popular/predictable names (They are Fortune 500-what not companies after all and can afford prime spots more(?)).

I just know I would have been happier were there a grocery in these initial stages. And less chains (of the sort that may attract certain types of characters that they do in their downtown Burrard branches) by the Skytrain. Hehe!

Last edited by HelloKitty; Aug 4, 2019 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post

Precisely people are looking for a place to live first and foremost. TAB meets the requirements of dwelling , transit, entertainment , but not the basic grocery need . How hard is it to have a grocery shop in first phase? Upscale mall such as Oakridge has a Safeway, Kin’s and a fish market. Do we have to wait for second or third phase to complete before we see a grocery store?
As Sheba pointed out it is Shape promoting high end retails in their website , to see Starbucks , McDonald taking center stage is kinda let down. The faint hope of an upscale restaurant such as Nightingale is fading. What kind of image is TAB trying to project ? So far neither basic nor upscale.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Hmmm people are thinking high end retail because that's what Brentwood has been promoting. From the article posted a couple days ago.

So for them not to have high end retail here would be to really drop the ball. Have there been any announcements for it yet?
The second Phase was to be where the high-end stores would go, so not surprised to see much for Phase One, but its still early stage so more could come along.

Sporting Life is pretty high end, it's like the Holt Renfrew of Sporting goods stores. Barbour, Moncler, Moose Knuckles, Hugo Boss, and Canada Goose are some of their typical brands. Compared to say Sport Chek.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 1:28 AM

There's a Whole Foods across the street, and a Save-on Foods just down the street, both within easy walking distance for most able bodied people. I don't think people moving into TAB will be starving to death for lack of groceries.

(as an aside, I'm not really the kind of person who's interested in high end eating which I imagine that Nightingale is supposed to be, but I've never heard of the place before it was mentioned in the thread)

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:31 AM

[QUOTE=GeeCee;8649479]There's a Whole Foods across the street, and a Save-on Foods just down the street, both within easy walking distance for most able bodied people. I don't think people moving into TAB will be starving to death for lack of groceries.

(as an aside, I'm not really the kind of person who's interested in high end eating which I imagine that Nightingale is supposed to be, but I've never heard of the place before it was mentioned in the thread)[/QU

Some one famous quote " I am not lazy, just busy"

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 7:44 AM

London Drugs carries a basic selection of groceries and there must be a produce farm store in there still?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
London Drugs carries a basic selection of groceries and there must be a produce farm store in there still?
They don't carry fresh food of any sort, plus I think on foot Save-on and Whole Foods would be much closer than the hike up to London Drugs and back from the towers.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:37 PM

Don’t forget about Costco that is only 3 mins driving or 10 mins walking away.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Don’t forget about Costco that is only 3 mins driving or 10 mins walking away.
I don't think too many people walk to/from Costco. What can you carry home, one or two items?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I don't think too many people walk to/from Costco. What can you carry home, one or two items?
I carry home from Costco once per week most of the food that I eat and taking it home by bus. Only buying eggs and milk at Save on Foods were I live. Few times a year I take EVO and get the rest of bulky and heavy things. I understand that my case is a rear one, however it’s still an option for some people.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:41 PM

If you ever get on stadium station you will see people with their Costco hauls. It's possible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley