HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:18 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
wow, that's terrible. i know many people from the industry read ssp and i know that there are many constraints down the line, but what's being built out in the soma/rincon is just a total abdication of the responsibility that developers have to the city. it's hard to get something interesting through planning, and it costs a lot. but this streetscape wouldn't even be interesting in san diego. ...
not sure it is clear, but these townhomes are on Clementina Alley, so should not be as visible as if they were on Folsom, for example. according to the schematic below, the alley seems intended to feel more low-key and residential. the structures on the other side of Clementina (block 7) have not been started yet (mods: another reason not to have closed that thread).

I actually like the variety in heights and feel.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 9:34 AM

100 Hooper

can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but for the last few weeks there have been construction signs on the fences around 100 Hooper in Showplace Square, across Seventh St from Mission Bay. a few weeks before that the storage space company was cleared off the site. this article from July 2015 said it would get going last year already. heavy PDR use

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 10:02 PM

Sidewalks at 399 Fremont

New sidewalks and street trees are in at 399 Fremont

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 5:48 AM

In Mid-Market news, the renovation of the Hibernia Bank building is complete, and they're looking for a tenant.

The building's sign is being lit up for the first time in years:

Source: @shanand on Twitter

Based on some recent stories, it looks like they did a beautiful job with the renovation:

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 6:12 AM

For what it's worth, and I don't have a photo, but driving home tonight I saw that the lobby for the Dolby building is now finished and open on Market. Looks really nice.

As an aside, that block is bizarre...you have the Twitter building retail open (First Republic and Cadillac), the AVA retail open (the restaurants and cafes) and now the Dolby lobby, and still the streetlife seems extremely marginal and at times dangerous. My wife and I are moving to NEMA by the summer (ugly building but the amenities are still heads and tails the best of all the Mid-Market buildings) but I'm just not convinced Mid-Market can go anywhere farther until the streets are cleaned up. The Civic, Trinity, the Mission buildings, etc will bring more new residents to the area in the short term, let alone the larger projects later on (God I hope One Oak gets going this building cycle), but I haven't seen a change at ALL in terms of streetlife. Still would feel unsafe walking down Mission later at night.

Not talking about tame panhandlers and people trying to get on their feet, that much is expected for the inner-city. Talking about flagrant drug deals and use, gang activity, and unstable personalities.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 8:28 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

That's the thing about tech firms, which provide employees with free on-site meals, laundry services, etc. so employees never have to stop working and leave the building. Generally speaking, they don't need to leave to find food or services, so they don't.

An office building as big as the Twitter building, were it filled with employees of law firms, accountancy firms, banks, architecture firms, etc. would regularly put a shit-ton more people out on the streets, as we see in the Financial District proper.

That said, there is just enough demand to open up retail/food on the ground floor--so it has improved. I just don't think the area will get any busier than it currently is, absent some massive expansion of office space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
For what it's worth, and I don't have a photo, but driving home tonight I saw that the lobby for the Dolby building is now finished and open on Market. Looks really nice.

As an aside, that block is bizarre...you have the Twitter building retail open (First Republic and Cadillac), the AVA retail open (the restaurants and cafes) and now the Dolby lobby, and still the streetlife seems extremely marginal and at times dangerous. My wife and I are moving to NEMA by the summer (ugly building but the amenities are still heads and tails the best of all the Mid-Market buildings) but I'm just not convinced Mid-Market can go anywhere farther until the streets are cleaned up. The Civic, Trinity, the Mission buildings, etc will bring more new residents to the area in the short term, let alone the larger projects later on (God I hope One Oak gets going this building cycle), but I haven't seen a change at ALL in terms of streetlife. Still would feel unsafe walking down Mission later at night.

Not talking about tame panhandlers and people trying to get on their feet, that much is expected for the inner-city. Talking about flagrant drug deals and use, gang activity, and unstable personalities.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 9:03 PM

Rincon Hill taking its place in the skyline, as seen looking SW from an approaching ferry

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 11:27 PM

Ninth St.

JWS - There is one more new business on the first block of Ninth St., the Perinneal Restaurant in the AVA building (I ate there last week - the food is quite good).

I have lived in the neighborhood for 44 years & the street scene is worse than it has ever been, 2nd only to when Art Agnos was mayor. I am hopeful that the intelligent people of San Francisco will get enough of crime & demand changes.

The good thing that I have seen in the area due to the new highrises is a dramatic increase of pedestrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 12:28 AM

misc

looking south across the former Concourse Exhibition Center (future 855 Brannan Apts) down Eighth St, toward its sister project on Henry Adams

and looking east up Brannan from about the same spot

there is a good time-lapse of the construction progress here

Market Place

Apple Store

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:02 PM

This project on the corner of Market/ Sanchez st.:

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:06 PM

The 399 Fremont thread is closed (even though building isn't even done??) so posting this here:

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:22 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

A Record 62,000 Units in San Francisco’s Housing Pipeline

socketsite

With proposals for over 3,000 units of housing having been submitted to the City in the fourth quarter of last year, San Francisco’s housing pipeline now totals a record 62,000 units, including 8,700 units which are already under construction and should be ready for occupancy within the next year or two.

In addition to the 8,700 net-new units of housing under construction in San Francisco, there are another 12,900 net-new units for which building permits have either been issued, approved or have been requested, which is double the number from the quarter before, and 23,100 units in projects that have been approved but not yet permitted (which does include 10,500 units by Candlestick, 7,800 units on Treasure Island and 5,680 units at Parkmerced, projects which have overall timelines measured in decades, not years).

And with proposals for another 17,900 units of housing being reviewed by the City’s Planning Department, San Francisco’s Housing Pipeline now totals 62,000, which is up from 59,000 in the third quarter of last year and 50,400 in the fourth quarter of 2014, of which 8,900 will be below market rate (BMR).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 11:23 PM

I don't think we have a Transbay Block 9 thread, but prep work has started...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_h View Post
I don't think we have a Transbay Block 9 thread, but prep work has started...

thanks david h! we do have a thread for that one

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 11:23 AM

nice wide sidewalks in the making on Folsom in front of Solaire

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
nice wide sidewalks in the making on Folsom in front of Solaire

timbad, nice pictures! Also, it looks like the yellow stripes are just temporary pieces of plywood until they use pavers - Could you tell in person? According to this, it looks like they'll eventually be 'granite bands'.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
timbad, nice pictures! Also, it looks like the yellow stripes are just temporary pieces of plywood until they use pavers - Could you tell in person? According to this, it looks like they'll eventually be 'granite bands'.
yes, exactly right - it's not in the pic, but the pavers in some of the granite bands have begun to be installed in front of the Philz Coffee in the mid-rise

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
yes, exactly right - it's not in the pic, but the pavers in some of the granite bands have begun to be installed in front of the Philz Coffee in the mid-rise
Great! Thanks for the confirmation.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:05 AM
She needs her space

I saw a crane (smaller tower crane) on Stevenson Alley from Mission St around 6th-8th area. Anyone recall if that is for one of the many smaller resi proposals we see once or twice over a 3-4 year span that has miraculously and finally broken ground? Looked to be on the Mission St side of Stevenson, and maybe about 1-3 floors up (I was in a cab at the time so hard to tell).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 6:31 AM

I know many are disappointed that there will not be a muni subway stop on this lot but still nice to see this get started:

http://hoodline.com/2016/03/construc...egin-next-week

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations