HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 9:31 PM

Boston is Beautiful -- May 2020 3

Part 3, aka the gray but still beautiful day where I went looking at pretty houses. If you want skyscrapers, go look at part 2

So yeah, I used to deliver flowers around the tony western town/suburb of Brookline, and to this day I think it's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen, ESPECIALLY in the spring time when I used to be around there a lot delivering flowers for Mothers' Day. There are so many mature trees lining the streets and the houses almost without fail have real architectural merit to them. Plus my girlfriend and I have been watching entirely too much HGTV, so we had to go gawking around here.

Love these 1920s tudors

These sycamore trees are something else

And now I start bopping around here and there

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 2:45 AM

These have been great, thank you!

I stand by my totally, absolutely unbiased opinion that Brookline is the best overall suburb in the country. From its estates sitting on rolling hills in the southwest to super urban Coolidge Corner in the northeast, it's all the built form types available packed into a little under 7 sq miles.

And totally agreed on the architectural merit of the houses. My brother, his wife, my wife and I do the same thing when we visit our parents in Mass: drive around Brookline and Newton with the Zillow app open. Then we get depressed and head over to Arlington and feel a bit more optimistic about the future

Also, I delivered flowers in high school for a place in Foxboro, sometimes I had to do a Norwood-Westwood-Dedham-Brookline run. The VFW Parkway is my favorite major street to drive on.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
These have been great, thank you!

I stand by my totally, absolutely unbiased opinion that Brookline is the best overall suburb in the country. From its estates sitting on rolling hills in the southwest to super urban Coolidge Corner in the northeast, it's all the built form types available packed into a little under 7 sq miles.

And totally agreed on the architectural merit of the houses. My brother, his wife, my wife and I do the same thing when we visit our parents in Mass: drive around Brookline and Newton with the Zillow app open. Then we get depressed and head over to Arlington and feel a bit more optimistic about the future

Also, I delivered flowers in high school for a place in Foxboro, sometimes I had to do a Norwood-Westwood-Dedham-Brookline run. The VFW Parkway is my favorite major street to drive on.
I worked for Eastern Connection/DHL and had a Norwood-Westwood-Dedham-Brookline Run.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 1:43 AM

^ Nice!

Quote:
I stand by my totally, absolutely unbiased opinion that Brookline is the best overall suburb in the country.
I've been to all 48 continental United States and spent time in most major metros, and I 100% agree with you. Not only for the superlatives you mentioned, but also for all that lovely tree coverage. Even the highly urbanized northern section has loads of trees and it makes it feel some much more welcoming.

From its estates sitting on rolling hills in the southwest to super urban Coolidge Corner in the northeast, it's all the built form types available packed into a little under 7 sq miles.

Quote:
My brother, his wife, my wife and I do the same thing when we visit our parents in Mass: drive around Brookline and Newton with the Zillow app open. Then we get depressed and head over to Arlington and feel a bit more optimistic about the future
Nice. That made me laugh out loud

Quote:
Winston Flowers for me! High end arrangements going to high end homes, hence Brookline

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 2:19 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

very lovely! the neighborhood shown in the first half or so reminds me of the Moorlands neighborhood in St. Louis:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=168369

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
I worked for Eastern Connection/DHL and had a Norwood-Westwood-Dedham-Brookline Run.
Basically just a shot down Washington Street or Rt 1, right? Throw in Walpole and Foxboro and you have about half of my entire driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Winston Flowers for me! High end arrangements going to high end homes, hence Brookline
Judy's Village Flowers right here I loved that job. I had stacks of Arrow road map books for SE Mass, Cape Cod, and RI, because it was the 90s and all.

Arlington Heights is probably our ideal, target/realistic Boston area neighborhood. I love the views of the skyline from Robbins Farm Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
very lovely! the neighborhood shown in the first half or so reminds me of the Moorlands neighborhood in St. Louis:
Those definitely look like Brookline. I'm guessing that's a Roaring 20s-built streetcar suburb neighborhood built for money from the beginning? You just can't get construction like that anymore.

I'm really curious about Philly's Main Line; I don't know much about it, but I figure there must be something close to Brookline-Newton-Wellesley.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 11:04 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Those definitely look like Brookline. I'm guessing that's a Roaring 20s-built streetcar suburb neighborhood built for money from the beginning? You just can't get construction like that anymore.
^ yep. it's technically a suburb just over the city line, ~6 miles west of downtown, but it's walkably contiguous with the city. historically, st. louis wealth has flowed westward from the river as those with the wealth sought to escape industrialization, poor people, etc.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 3:42 AM

Yup Brookline is near perfect

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 10:02 AM
if I sang out of tune

Maaaan this hurts to see, was meant to be there on holiday last week Was severely looking to traipse around South End and do the heritage trails.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 3:46 PM

Nice! I spent a little time in Boston last September. While I was expecting to like the city, I ended up liking it even more than I anticipated. Looking forward to another visit hopefully sooner than later!

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 5:39 PM

Very beautiful green canopy.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post

I'll take this house!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos