HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 8:41 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Here's how much of an idiot I am: I don't follow this close enough and thought they were doing with 93 what you proposed to make it I-11.
I'm not 100% on the route as it's still on the drawing board. But, my understanding is there will be some portions of 93 improved for conversion to I-11 and there will be some completely new portions in other areas West of 93.

My biggest complaint is not I-11 in itself as I actually do think a Phoenix/Vegas connection is needed, but the way it's routed South of Wickenberg going way out West of the White Tanks. What a waste as this is just a Phoenix bypass at best, but will still promote massive sprawl. If it's going to pretty much bypass Phoenix, then I would rather see something like this as an alternative which would continue down 85 to the border and utilize currently existing routes and open up a new Interstate Port of Entry for AZ.

Credit: Professor Sanjeev Ramchandra of Central Arizona College

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I'm not 100% on the route as it's still on the drawing board. But, my understanding is there will be some portions of 93 improved for conversion to I-11 and there will be some completely new portions in other areas West of 93.

My biggest complaint is not I-11 in itself as I actually do think a Phoenix/Vegas connection is needed, but the way it's routed South of Wickenberg going way out West of the White Tanks. What a waste as this is just a Phoenix bypass at best, but will still promote massive sprawl. If it's going to pretty much bypass Phoenix, then I would rather see something like this as an alternative which would continue down 85 to the border and utilize currently existing routes and open up a new Interstate Port of Entry for AZ.
Have ADOT and/or other agencies chosen the proposed route yet? If not, then the proposed corridor above makes total sense. I would rather see this as we get I-11 down to Lukeville/Rocky Point improving travel times for our summer getaways. Does it propose using the 303 for travel up to Wickenburg or is it a new corridor? Can't tell...

Edit: Yeah nevermind. Preferred route below, my bad.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Aug 13, 2019 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 9:09 PM
Skyriser

^ This is a proposal that has no basis in reality. It is nowhere near the alternatives they're working on.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Have ADOT and/or other agencies chosen the proposed route yet? If not, then the proposed corridor above makes total sense. I would rather see this as we get I-11 down to Lukeville/Rocky Point improving travel times for our summer getaways. Does it propose using the 303 for travel up to Wickenburg or is it a new corridor? Can't tell...

Edit: Yeah nevermind. Preferred route below, my bad.

I'm not sure why ADOT is focused on the southern route before they finish the northern route. The northern route would give immediate relief for the traffic on US-93 and dramatically improve road conditions. The pace they're going we won't see it completed before we have flying cars.

That being said, the proposed route shown above along I-19 and north mostly follows ADOT/Pinal County and MAGs next generation of freeways they've been planning. Now they have a federal funding source, so the Hassyampa, Tucson west loop, L303 to I-8, etc all get built - but now they are I-11.

The route west of the white tanks is NOT L303 - that route was the proposed Hassyampa Freeway. SR-74 will be converted to freeway standards and connect to I-11 south of Wickenberg and be one of the connectors to the PHX area (connect I-11 to I-17). Loop 404 (the White Tank Freeway) will start at L303/US-60, run along a big portion of US-60 and ultimately connect to I-11 to be another one of the PHX/I-11 connectors. There's even a freeway connector proposed to connect I-11 to the Prescott area in Yavapai County. Everyone is piling onto this.

Yes, this freeway is running too far west of the city to really be a direct link between PHX and LV. But at the expected pace of development west of the White Tanks (i.e. Bill Gate's Bellemont and the other big project out there along I-11) it will likely be more urbanized than we expect now. Especially considering we won't see it even break ground for another 20-30 years at the current pace.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 11:43 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
I'm not sure why ADOT is focused on the southern route before they finish the northern route.
ADOT is at the beckon call of real estate developers. 93 could just as well have dragons burning your car from above but nobody's building homes there so it's not a high priority.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
ADOT is at the beckon call of real estate developers. 93 could just as well have dragons burning your car from above but nobody's building homes there so it's not a high priority.
Clearly developers are waiting for I-11 to show up west of the White Tanks to expand the valley westward towards LA. But I think there could be something else going on here - it seems that the Phoenix area gets the majority of highway funds, followed but Tucson. Part of the reason why I-17 north of PHX has not been upgraded over the past 20 years despite clear traffic counts that demand it is because it runs though Yavapai and Coconino Counties - where there is far less funding available. So it falls on the state and federal funds to fill in the gaps. So that could be part of what is driving the current route planning.

Even so - Nevada did their portion to the AZ border first (though a lot of it was repurposing existing highways). Would just be nice for AZ to wrap up our portion to the NV line first, since it seems like it could be completed in 5-10 years. I mean - the interchange in Kingman is just inexcusable for the amount of traffic it carries...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 6:01 PM

Tempe streetcar construction wraps for the season

Obviously, more work to be done over the next two years but the heavy lifting down Mill Ave seems to have wrapped up.

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/con...or-the-season/
Quote:
Downtown Streetcar construction on Mill Avenue between University Drive and Rio Salado Parkway comes to a wrap this week, and Tempe’s famed Mill Avenue re‐opens to traffic in both directions. Just in time for the annual matriculation at ASU’s main campus, Valley Metro is right on track with wrapping up Tempe Streetcar infrastructure work along Mill Avenue between University Drive and Rio Salado Parkway on Aug. 15, and local merchants and visitors breathe a sigh of relief.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Obviously, more work to be done over the next two years but the heavy lifting down Mill Ave seems to have wrapped up.

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/con...or-the-season/
They did a pretty outstanding job all things considered, getting basically all of the most disruptive construction done in a summer.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 11:16 PM
Modulator

Phoenix has already received 110,000 mail-in ballots. Lots of people expected to vote on 105 and 106. I think this bodes well for LRT. The more residents that vote, it's likely in favor of mass transit.

More on the numbers so far:
https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...ious-elections

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Phoenix has already received 110,000 mail-in ballots. Lots of people expected to vote on 105 and 106. I think this bodes well for LRT. The more residents that vote, it's likely in favor of mass transit.

More on the numbers so far:
https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...ious-elections
Man, it's the folks in District 7 that caused this mess and they have the lowest turnout. wtf... but this bodes well for a No vote.

Quote:
The light rail extension in south Phoenix would impact districts 7 and 8, and as of today, district 7 has the lowest voter turnout out of the eight city districts.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Man, it's the folks in District 7 that caused this mess and they have the lowest turnout. wtf... but this bodes well for a No vote.
Just eyeballing the numbers, Districts 2, 3, and 6 seem the least likely to vote No, and they have a LOT of the vote so far (around 60%). This makes me a bit nervous.

Andy

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 11:36 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Just eyeballing the numbers, Districts 2, 3, and 6 seem the least likely to vote No, and they have a LOT of the vote so far (around 60%). This makes me a bit nervous.

Andy
Districts 4, 5 ,7 and 8 are denser and more likely inclined to vote in person though. Those numbers will go up quite a bit for those districts while mail-in ballots from the outer districts will taper off.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 1:21 AM
Skyriser

If central city residents vote for the train and North Phoenix residents successfully cut it out, that's about the best reason I've ever seen to split Phoenix in half.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Wasn’t District 7 (the South Phoenix portion) also in high support of the S. Central extension? Something like a 70% poll supporting it, I read somewhere?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 3:33 AM

I wonder if anyone else is having this issue...one roommate of mine and myself haven’t received our early ballots but our other roomate received his and voted a week ago.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 4:06 AM
self-important urbanista

Districts 2, 3, and 6 are probably the most affluent and well-educated portions of the city, so they are likely to have more voters on the permanent early voting list (PEVL). District 2 (aka Waringstan) is most likely to be anti-rail. It's farthest from downtown with many residents who identify more with Scottsdale than the city they actually live in. Districts 3 and 6 are mixed and could go either way. Keep in mind that although District 6 is represented by DiCiccio, his strength is predominantly in Ahwatukee. The northern portion of his district is more competitive and centrist.

It is frustrating that the affected districts 7 and 8 have voted the least. Most disappointing of all, however, is the way that ABC 15 has inaccurately phrased its coverage. The wording suggests that 105 is simply a referendum on the South Central line, ignoring the much more drastic prospect of stopping all new rail transit anywhere within Phoenix city limits.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I wonder if anyone else is having this issue...one roommate of mine and myself haven’t received our early ballots but our other roomate received his and voted a week ago.
Actually, we already received a ballots in a few weeks ago. We vote NO on Prop 105. We put it back in the mailbox. So now, consider it done!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:22 PM

Tempe Passes new rules on Scooters and E-Bikes. I wonder how strictly these will be enforced by the Police Department.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/Components/News/News/13761/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Tempe Passes new rules on Scooters and E-Bikes. I wonder how strictly these will be enforced by the Police Department.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/Components/News/News/13761/
Was just looking at this. Always makes me wary when stricter bicycling/pedestrian rules are passed under the auspices of "protecting" bicyclists/pedestrians. Most of the rules seem mostly sensible; the only one I don't like is making riding on the sidewalk (unless there is no bike lane on a 25+ MPH street) strictly illegal. I don't ride on the sidewalk as a general rule, but situationally it can be necessary or safer for short distances. Plus I dislike that bicycle rules are city-dependent, so you end up with a patchwork of rules where riding on the sidewalk is OK in some cities, and not in others.

Hopefully the rule is used as a normative tool to encourage bicyclists to ride in established bike lanes, because it truly is generally safer than riding on sidewalks. But I fear that it will instead be used as a means to ticket/harass bicyclists, in particular poor bicyclists for whom bicycling is their only/main means of transportation. This fear would be reduced if there were equivalent efforts that focused on motor vehicle drivers in an effort toward "Vision Zero," but I doubt that will happen. We'll see.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 10:51 PM

Prop 105 on "Patriot Act with Hassan Minhaj"

Not sure how much effect this will have, but Hassan Minhaj's new show takes on the Koch destruction of light rail generally, and Prop 105 in particular. Hope this moves the needle, because I have a bad feeling about these two props. Here's the video (Phoenix specific parts start at 20-minutes in).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest