HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 12:16 PM

Hi Mack297, I remember hearing about some of the things you mentioned, the east end airport, I remember the Sherman police station before it closed.

I have to agree about Kenilworth Ave. Most of the buildings are shacks. It would be nice to see some tastefully done urban redevelopment. I'm thinking along the lines of 87-89 King Street East. Hopefully that starts a trend. I remember a three story building on Ottawa Street at Argyle burned down about a dozen years ago. It was fairly nice looking architecturally. What's there to this day? A trailer and a rinky-dink used car lot, and there's a few of those around. Modular buildings, Petro Canada stations, and strip plazas are bad enough, but keep those in the trailer parks where they belong I say.

I guess one problem with Kenilworth is that it's another thoroughfare for people passing through on their way to work from homes on the mountain and vice versa.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Native View Post
I used to live around there when I was a little kid for a couple of years (69-71), Cope Street at the end of Hope Ave. I went to Holy Family School.
I went to Holy Family too, just for kindergarten -- taught by the wonderful Miss Borsalino. Thanks for the pictures, Flar.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymoly View Post
I went to Holy Family too, just for kindergarten -- taught by the wonderful Miss Borsalino. Thanks for the pictures, Flar.
I think so did Sheila Copps and her sister. They're from the area. The Vic Copps home was on Fairfield, and I think his wife is still there. His funeral was at the church. I remember a lot of high profile politicians attending.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Native View Post
I think so did Sheila Copps and her sister. They're from the area. The Vic Copps home was on Fairfield, and I think his wife is still there. His funeral was at the church. I remember a lot of high profile politicians attending.
I didn't know that -- but I moved out of the area after kindergarten. A few years later, The Spec ran a picture of me perched on Mayor Copps' lap, lol. I always had a soft spot for him after meeting him as a kid.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 10:53 AM

The Copp's Family have certainly left a legacy in Hammerton, that's for sure.
The last time I was down in 'the hood'. Mrs.Copps ( Geraldine ) was still in the house on Fairfield.
Shiela has chosen to reside in Ottawa and her sister, Brenda, is an MD and has a practice at Sanford and Main.
There is, I believe, a brother, that is involved in Horton's franchise (s) in Montreal.
Back in the day, the east end was run by Vic Copps and John Munro ... it was the hayday of Liberal power in the area .. it wasn't 'if' you were going to vote Liberal, but often "how many times".
When Vic Copps had his heart attack during the"Around the Bay Race" in, I think '76, and he was no longer the bread winner for the family, Geraldine was appointed 'Citizenship Judge' and held the job until the 80's when the Conservatives decided to 'get rid of Shiela's mother'. Geraldine ran for council in Ward 4 in '85 and won .. she held the seat for some fifteen years.
I remember that at the time of Vic's heart attack in '76 and subsequent passing in '88, the talk was that the family was on the financial ropes. At that time, members of council did not have a pension plan or any of the perks that we assume go with the job and Vic left the family in very bad shape.
I never swayed far enough to the left of centre to vote Liberal, but I always repected Vic Copps for his dedication to the city.
Shiela learned well from both Munro and her dad .. she was a pro.
I can still hear my grandfather, a long time member of The Orange Lodge, railing bitterly about how that "damn %&**$@##*&%% mayor has outlawed our annual parade!". Vic Copps was our first Catholic Mayor.
Yepper ..one of Mayor Vic's first official acts was to officially ban the annual Orange Parade in downtown Hamilton ...
We lived, literally, around the corner from the Copp's and my grandfather and Vic would encounter each other on a regular basis ... I think the conflict was more for affect than anything else ... the old man always voted Liberal, regardless of the candidate.
Damn ... I can remember this stuff like it was yesterday but have to stop and think what I had for supper last night ... ahh .. ageing is a wonderful thing ... if your a bottle of wine or a block of cheese!

Mack

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 1:13 PM

When I was about nine I wrote to John Munro asking for some information on Hamilton for a school project. He answered and sent me a whole envelope full with a personal letter. I was touched by how much attention he put into it. I'm sorry he didn't make his dreams of higher office (Liberal leader) or Mayor of Hamilton, in which I voted for him. He fought hard for this city to get noticed at the federal level.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Mack297

Wow that is some of the best "folk history" ever of Hamilton.

mic67

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 6:09 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Great photos, what a treat. I really like the urban grittiness shown here. The "Hopes Convenience" sign with its retro-80's type of script is a gem. Is the Ukrainian Cultural Centre a former movie theatre? And I think the utility poles give the street some verticality, since the buildings are mostly low profile. I can see myself as a teen ending up at Regency Boxing... nowadays I'd go more to the Caribbean Junction Supermarket or to the hobby shop.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 6:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

When I was in high school I was friend with John Munro adopted son. He ran for Mayor at the time and I helped out, handed out flyers during the Labour Day game. He gave me a free ticket, real nice guy.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 6:15 PM

I just noticed. You do not have any pictures of the only new buildings on the street. The new Fire Hall (Fire – EMS Station 9) and the Tim Hortons across the street from it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 8:15 PM

(Loyds smokes , the little ricketty shack next to the parking lot, used to be Miller's Smoke Shop... ahh .. 'Joanie' Miller .. anyway )

Joan Miller INDEED!!!... Was in grade 8 with her!!
Her nic-name in class was "Cosmetic".. she wore so much make-up!
But her father was a "hoot", always chasing us out of the store.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 8:30 PM

(My grandmother and an aunt ran 'Peggy Anns Grill' .. corner of Gage and Cannon, now a Chinese Restaurant ...)

Mack -
Do you remember the "Carol's Groceteria"@ King and Gage- now the Bar, and later the "Connaught Fish & Chips" @ King and Connaught ave. Does ANYONE have a picture of the "chip" store?
- godfrey

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 8:35 PM
Closed account

Welcome canmanont! Am enjoying your reminiscences.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 9:28 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Hi Canamont..... enjoy our rants, love-ins, and haters

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 2:52 PM

Lyiendda

I have lived on Kenilworth between the Center and Burlington St. for many years.The factory just below the train underpass is now an acid regeneration facility. Needless to say the air quality and the fine particulate is unreal. Mostly the people that live here have been here for years. There are few new residents and the rest are dead. There were no pictures shown from below Barton St. to show the true sadness of this area. It is almost impossible to sell your house and property so many feel trapped here. The flooding in the underpass is a little better and we have more cement in front of our homes, where there was always black tar. At least we have no drug addicts standing around on the street. Even they don't want to come down here. Plus there is no one to rob. We are all poor. We cut our lawns and shovel our snow and sweep the side-walk but I wonder why we bother, but every one down here looks out for each other and minds their own business. You hardly ever see kids playing outside like in the past.There are no stores, restaurants, laundry, just cars driving by. So gives us a beep when you drive by.

Last edited by Lyiendda; Jun 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM. Reason: typing

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyiendda View Post
I have lived on Kenilworth between the Center and Burlington St. for many years.The factory just below the train underpass is now an acid regeneration facility. Needless to say the air quality and the fine particulate is unreal. Mostly the people that live here have been here for years. There are few new residents and the rest are dead. There were no pictures shown from below Barton St. to show the true sadness of this area. It is almost impossible to sell your house and property so many feel trapped here. The flooding in the underpass is a little better and we have more cement in front of our homes, where there was always black tar. At least we have no drug addicts standing around on the street. Even they don't want to come down here. Plus there is no one to rob. We are all poor. We cut our lawns and shovel our snow and sweep the side-walk but I wonder why we bother, but every one down here looks out for each other and minds their own business. You hardly ever see kids playing outside like in the past.There are no stores, restaurants, laundry, just cars driving by. So gives us a beep when you drive by.
That sounds pretty harsh. You must be talking about the McAnulty area?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
That sounds pretty harsh. You must be talking about the McAnulty area?
flar: don't know my way around here, or if this is how I get back.
Yes between McAnulty and Burlington St.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyiendda View Post
Me think the city should give everyone in that area some cash and help to relocate to cleaner areas of the city to live.

You shouldn't have to live in that murky hell down there.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
Me think the city should give everyone in that area some cash and help to relocate to cleaner areas of the city to live.

You shouldn't have to live in that murky hell down there.
There are a few neighbourhoods that are completely surrounded by industry.

One is the area around Beach Rd and Gage.

Another is the area around Burlington and Wentworth.

The worst is the little pocket of houses at Burlington and Birmingham.

I've explored all these areas. I would never move my family to one of these neighbourhoods due to the possible health side effects of living so close to dirty industry. These are all old neighbourhoods, nowadays building houses this close to heavy industry would never be allowed.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:13 PM

[QUOTE=flar;6155600]There are a few neighbourhoods that are completely surrounded by industry.

One is the area around Beach Rd and Gage.

Another is the area around Burlington and Wentworth.

The worst is the little pocket of houses at Burlington and Birmingham.

I've explored all these areas. I would never move my family to one of these neighbourhoods due to the possible health side effects of living so close to dirty industry. These are all old neighbourhoods, nowadays building houses this close to heavy industry would never be allowed.[/QUO

I complain every time there is another cancer death on the street. One day I will do a story on these deaths. Although I doubt they will allow me to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos