HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 3:05 PM

Barton Street

The original thread with comments: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=119700

The Centre Mall occupies the north side of the street, I didn't take many pictures of this, I trust you've all seen a mall before

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 4:39 PM
Closed account

every time i cruise down barton i always marvel at the potential. but then i could be delusional. hard to tell. it's certainly a great subject for a photo thread, though.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 5:41 PM

A few nice buildings, but Barton Street is such a long stretch of scum and grit it's probably easier to just blow it all up.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 6:38 PM

A lot of people would like to blow it up, but those buildings could easily be cleaned and renovated. Barton has some of Hamilton's best remaining intact streetwalls. It almost feels like you're indoors from Wellington to Wentworth and the area around Sherman. Locke St was once a biker hangout. James North was crappy just a few years ago. Who knows what the future holds for Barton?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I spent a good portion of this morning reading through many of your photo threads flar, then went out in the afternoon for a good long lower Hamilton motorcycle ride - I found a LOT of the locations of your your various images while i was out - including the subject of this photo at a 'nearby corner' to this location.

- She certainly hasn't got any easier on the eyes in 10 months.. she was even wearing the same boots.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 1:28 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

I was wandering down Barton today, near William Street. I found an occult emporium, how cool!

I also got asked if I wanted to buy something, by some chap on a street corner. I didn't quite hear what he was asking me to buy, but that was a first for me and I live in London (the original one).

That event aside, I really enjoyed my wander. The road has great bones for improvement and some lovely little side streets off it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 1:42 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
She certainly hasn't got any easier on the eyes in 10 months.. she was even wearing the same boots.
I wonder if her prices have increased due to the inflation.

A funny story I have to share. My nephews were 8 and 12 at the time. It was halloween time and the boys were deciding what costume they wanted to wear for halloween. The younger boy told me his brother wanted to dress up as a lady. I told him I would love to dress him up as a hooker. I then asked if he knew what a hooker was. He sat and thought for a couple of minutes then replied "isn't that when a lady dances around and takes her clothes off" His mother said no, that's a stripper. He replied and said "oh yea right" He then replied "I know, that's when a lady has sex for money". I was shocked when he said this, knowing things like this at only 8 years old, geez. Anyhow the 12 year old chickened out and didn't dress as a lady. But the younger one said "I want to be the lady then". Well he was getting ready for school and putting his costume on then out comes this statement, "you know I bet I'm going to be the best looking babe at school today....I hope no one hits on me". What a kid. I was almost on the floor laughing by then.

Last edited by MsMe; Oct 20, 2008 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 4:35 AM

Looking at those photos brings a tear to the eye: Barton is just so ugly. They thought they could improve it by adding some nice flags and light posts... tsk tsk.

It does have potential though. I also hate Kennilworth, its nasty too. Half the buildings are boarded up.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 12:12 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhayes View Post
They thought they could improve it by adding some nice flags and light posts... tsk tsk..

From this angle, if you ignore the people () it doesn't look that bad.

The stretch that I walked around yesterday, from Victoria to Wentworth didn't seem that bad to me, some lovely little residential side streets.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 12:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Think the island median used to be for streetcars along Barton.

Than during the early 90's Bob Rae government funded the Barton streetscape project.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 1:17 PM
Closed account

yes, the residential side streets are wonderful. It's the main drag that needs more investment.
Keep in mind the city has virtually ignored this area for many years and the largest portion of the street runs through Bernie Morelli's ward 3. Enough said.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 2:56 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
A few nice buildings, but Barton Street is such a long stretch of scum and grit it's probably easier to just blow it all up.
We already have Jackson Square/Hamilton City Centre thanks to a generation of renewalists who decided that downtown was a long stretch of scum and it was probably easier just to blow it all up.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 3:19 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
We already have Jackson Square/Hamilton City Centre thanks to a generation of renewalists who decided that downtown was a long stretch of scum and it was probably easier just to blow it all up.
Don't forget York Street, sorry, "Boulevard." The devastation there should be considered a crime against humanity. I weep when I look at old pictures of York. What the frack were they thinking?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 4:14 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I weep when I look at old pictures of York. What the frack were they thinking?
Hear, hear. To this tale of devastation we can add clearcutting Gore Park in the 1980s; demolishing the old City Hall to replace it with a modernist structure (an architectural crime many wish to see repeated with today's City Hall, which through the passage of time has transformed into an architecturally significant heritage building); converting all downtown streets into one-way, multi-lane thoroughfares; decimating the HSR budget and retiring the electric trolleybuses in the 1990s (and devastating ridership in the process); demolishing the Birks Building (which Oscar Wilde called "the most beautiful building in all of North America") in 1973 to make room for a bland law office; emptying out the Lister Block and allowing the building to fall into ruination; and so on ad nauseam.

Live and don't learn, that's us.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 5:49 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Think the island median used to be for streetcars along Barton.

Than during the early 90's Bob Rae government funded the Barton streetscape project.
were they two or one way? As wide as buses or narrow?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 3:44 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Is this building used anymore?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 4:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

I believe that's the Wentworth House, Mohawk College.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 4:26 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I believe that's the Wentworth House, Mohawk College.
Really? It looks run down, shame

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 4:26 PM
Closed account

I thought it was no longer in use. I recall an article in the Spec a while back about what to do with the murals now that the building was no longer occupied. I could be wrong.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 6:18 PM

That's West Avenue School and I'm not sure if anyone is currently using it. But I think it has a heritage designation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos