HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:33 PM

Walkabout 4 June 2019

They wasted no time getting the tracks in the ground:

Blocks on Roosevelt/233 Roosevelt

Facade on Mirabella

Local is done on the outside. Build out for Whole Foods is underway. I think it looks great at street level.

I.D.E.A. from far away. This one seems to be going slow, but maybe it's just a function of the fact that I don't pay as much attention to it.

Canopy Hilton

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 8:38 PM

Thanks for the photo update! They are moving blazing fast on the streetcar, which seems to be ahead of schedule. I hope they can get that operable by 2020. I'm excited to see the façade of Mirabella go up, those panels look really nice. On the otherhand, looking at the canopy, the design seems so "busy" with the patterns. But I'm sure with everything else in the area going up itll fit right in.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Thanks for the photo update! They are moving blazing fast on the streetcar, which seems to be ahead of schedule. I hope they can get that operable by 2020. I'm excited to see the façade of Mirabella go up, those panels look really nice. On the otherhand, looking at the canopy, the design seems so "busy" with the patterns. But I'm sure with everything else in the area going up itll fit right in.
I can' tell if they're ahead of schedule or just that they're getting the "easy" construction out of the way first, since Valley Metro has a timeline of the project and it looks like ton of time is spent just building the stop platforms. I'd say it's a good sign if we see power wires set up sometime within the next 6 months though.

https://www.valleymetro.org/project/tempe-streetcar

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 1:44 AM

Couple More Photos

Hyatt House:

777 Tower

Also, there is a sign up for what's been coming at the Tempe Transportation Center retail spaces. It's called 5th Street Market or something like that. It looks like it will be a convenience store/deli with sandwiches and pizza. I don't usually patronize businesses out of charity, but I think I'll try to go to this one as often as I can because I want retail on 5th street to succeed.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:56 AM

That glass is looking amazing on Mirabella. This is going to be the building that will change the city. There's so much going on in Tempe right now!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 2:13 PM

Actually I live near IDEA and it's moved pretty fast! I am just wondering that now the shell of the building is almost done...when are they going to start on the parking garage?

Also I noticed on Farmer the other day construction signs saying the sidewalk is closed on the east side of the street north of 5th...hopefully this means that construction on the Beam will be starting soon?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 4:19 PM

Don't remember seeing the website and these renderings for "Apollo," the Gilbane project at Terrace/Apache.

https://www.gilbaneco.com/developmen...te-university/

And current status as of this morning:

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 4:24 PM

Collective

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
I can' tell if they're ahead of schedule or just that they're getting the "easy" construction out of the way first, since Valley Metro has a timeline of the project and it looks like ton of time is spent just building the stop platforms. I'd say it's a good sign if we see power wires set up sometime within the next 6 months though.

Yeah - was going to ask why/how the streetcar can go in (seemingly) so much faster than light rail. It took them FOREVER to get light rail up a few miles north on 19th Ave.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:15 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Yeah - was going to ask why/how the streetcar can go in (seemingly) so much faster than light rail. It took them FOREVER to get light rail up a few miles north on 19th Ave.
One detail that may speed construction on Mill is that the streetcar will operate "off-wire" with battery power in that area. That means no poles and overhead wires to install.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
One detail that may speed construction on Mill is that the streetcar will operate "off-wire" with battery power in that area. That means no poles and overhead wires to install.
Yeah but so much of Apache near the University is done, is that being ran on "off-wire?"

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Yeah but so much of Apache near the University is done, is that being ran on "off-wire?"
This site has the map showing the off wire spots in the status section.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:24 AM

Aura Watermark

The office building looks awesome from the north side of the lake.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:29 AM

Thanks for the photo updates! Looks like Tempe is putting the rest of the valley to shame!! 💪

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 4:09 PM

I noticed today that they started foundation work on the massive parking garage for the Novus Corridor.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 4:51 PM

Couple of bummer retail closures on Mill--Divaz Boutique closed as well as the long-tenured Hippie Gypsy. Never went to or spent money in Divaz, but it's a bummer to lose one of the few non-food & beverage businesses on Mill. I did go to Hippie Gypsy back in college, and while it's been years since I went inside, I did strangely enjoy the sickeningly strong scent of incense as you walk by. And similar to Divaz it's a bummer to lose non-food & beverage retail, especially one that's stuck around as long as Hippie Gypsy had.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:00 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Couple of bummer retail closures on Mill--Divaz Boutique closed as well as the long-tenured Hippie Gypsy. Never went to or spent money in Divaz, but it's a bummer to lose one of the few non-food & beverage businesses on Mill. I did go to Hippie Gypsy back in college, and while it's been years since I went inside, I did strangely enjoy the sickeningly strong scent of incense as you walk by. And similar to Divaz it's a bummer to lose non-food & beverage retail, especially one that's stuck around as long as Hippie Gypsy had.
I wonder if they had been on the edge of failure for a while and just decided to give up prior to the potential combined effect of the usual summer slowdown and streetcar construction. You'll often see a lot of small restaurants and shops close in late spring because they've decided they're not strong enough to face another summer.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 6:11 PM

[QUOTE=muertecaza;8572366]Someone mentioned this was coming a little while ago, but here is the red zoning sign for an 11-story residential proposal on the remaining parcel next to the Westin on the corner of 7th and Mill.

Any update on the dates for these meetings? Probably looking at 6-8 months from now before this project breaks ground. Would love to see more cranes

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 8:09 PM

[QUOTE=Mr.RE;8598689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Someone mentioned this was coming a little while ago, but here is the red zoning sign for an 11-story residential proposal on the remaining parcel next to the Westin on the corner of 7th and Mill.

Any update on the dates for these meetings? Probably looking at 6-8 months from now before this project breaks ground. Would love to see more cranes
Isn't there an historic house on that lot?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 8:57 PM

No this is the vacant lot at the corner of 7th st & mill next to the Jack in the box.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest