HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 1:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

2267 Brunswick Street | ? m | 8 fl | Proposed

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:33 PM

This one got turned down, didn't it?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
This one got turned down, didn't it?
The proposal was not approved according to the minutes of the Halifax West Community Council meeting November 14, 2018, found here: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...14hwccMins.pdf

The minutes show that staff has been directed to " consult with the developers to seek amendments to the proposed development agreement for Case 20417 to limit the height of the proposed development so that it does not exceed the roofline of St. Patrick’s Church, and return with a supplementary staff report outlining the terms of any amended development agreement."

I was not able to find status of the supplementary report online.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The proposal was not approved according to the minutes of the Halifax West Community Council meeting November 14, 2018, found here: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...14hwccMins.pdf

The minutes show that staff has been directed to " consult with the developers to seek amendments to the proposed development agreement for Case 20417 to limit the height of the proposed development so that it does not exceed the roofline of St. Patrick’s Church, and return with a supplementary staff report outlining the terms of any amended development agreement."

I was not able to find status of the supplementary report online.
So it would be 4 floors instead of 11?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:14 PM

"It's TOO TALL!!!"

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
So it would be 4 floors instead of 11?
If they keep the same floor-to-floor heights, it looks like it could be seven (instead of 13)... This is based on the elevations shown here: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...Elevations.pdf

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:05 PM

7 would exceed, 6 would be just below the roofline.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 2:12 PM

What do you consider to be the roofline? Ridge of the church roof?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 2:42 PM

I'm generally pro-height but I'm actually okay with keeping the church spire the highest thing on this block--especially when the alternative is something as bland as this proposal.

Of course, that presumes the church doesn't fall down. It looks this close to being a ruin at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I'm generally pro-height but I'm actually okay with keeping the church spire the highest thing on this block--especially when the alternative is something as bland as this proposal.

Of course, that presumes the church doesn't fall down. It looks this close to being a ruin at the moment.
I agree. Not all that enthused with this proposal.

When I was at the church during Doors Open a couple of years ago, the pastor told me that they had taken some of the granite fixtures down from the steeple to reduce load on the structure, but that they had a plan to fix it. Has that not progressed? It would be a shame, as the church is quite gorgeous inside, and is of a type of construction that will likely never be built again. Was also talking to an accomplished organ player who said the organ there is very special, as in high quality (I'm not an expert on church organs so I will defer to his opinion).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 7:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 10:08 PM

So, another sawed-off proposal has been given the go-ahead:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...reet-1.5206259

Lindell Smith actually showed up for the meeting and voted against it.

Mason voted against it too, but he's not anti-development, no sir. He's just against this development, along with any other development that isn't an overpriced bike lane or street kneecapping.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 10:20 PM

It's not inspiring, but I don't hate it. Much better than the godawful green one a few posts up. I have to say that I don't really see what everyone is getting so excited over, and remember I'm an advocate for heritage buildings...

Could use more height, I suppose, but in this case I don't think it suffers from lack of height. There are other parts of the city where a 40 storey skyscraper would be fantastic, but I don't see this part of Brunswick Street as being one of them.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 11:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This one will have a pretty limited impact on the streetscape since it's behind the restored brick building.

It's misguided to think that Brunswick's main problem is developments like this that combine new construction on empty land with heritage restoration. The biggest problems along Brunswick are empty lots, poor maintenance, and general neglect. The worst "developer" on Brunswick is the municipality, which has failed to do anything useful with the school site, which looks like something from a dying American rust belt city. Some of the residents there seem to want to preserve a pretty awful status quo.

I'm all for heritage preservation but let's not conflate that with opposition to new construction on empty sites.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 11:44 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The biggest problems along Brunswick are empty lots, poor maintenance, and general neglect.
This hits the nail on the head - there's hints of Brunswick St. being a great street, but then you get slapped in the face with a vacant lot or an ugly parking lot. It's not really integrated with downtown yet either.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 11:50 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

A redesigned initial proposal (less panels/color mismatch) would still have been my preference. I'll never be excited over 8 stories but it doesn't look terrible if build as shown above.

Last edited by Jstaleness; Jul 12, 2019 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:20 PM

Not sure why this got lowered to 8 floors when a building permit for 21 floors got issued a block away on Brunswick Street. Although, I do like the updated design a lot better than what we had before.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
We love this one as well - CONGRATULATIONS Brunswick Street - we need as much development as possible - we also need more 20 to 40 floor buildings - 8 is nice but could be better!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 8:53 PM

Well, look who's back? Our old favorite obstructionists, the Heritage Trust! And they have filed an appeal guaranteed to hold this one up for months, if not years:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...urch-1.5252006

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:33 PM

Meh... they don't have much of a case, as the building is not actually changing the streetscape, it is being built behind the heritage building that they restored (which should have given them favour with the HT...). Plus, it's not a designated heritage district, not that this makes much of a difference anyhow.

You can rest assured that your building will be built. The developers sound like they are steadfast to their idea.

As a side note, the neighborhood would be improved immensely if those purple monsters were replaced with something more modern and attractive. Purple and white paint is not a good look for those buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth