HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Possibly so. The Bell buses were old (even for the time) GM "Old Look" units that were decrepit and not likely well maintained.

Looking at the aerial shots of the DSC I wonder if the Dominion supermarket was expanded at some point? I do not recall this but there is a feature on the roof that suggests it was added on to on the north and west sides.
Here's a pic of one of the old units taken in the 1970s (from the Halifax Municipal Archives) - they were pretty beat by then, you can also see evidence of oil leaks all over the pavement.

Regarding the Dominion store, it does have the appearance of being expanded, but also I noticed that the outer 'band' is a full 2 storeys whereas the rest of the store is one. So I'm thinking it was originally build like this, with the second storey section being for the offices, employee lunch room etc.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Regarding the Dominion store, it does have the appearance of being expanded, but also I noticed that the outer 'band' is a full 2 storeys whereas the rest of the store is one. So I'm thinking it was originally build like this, with the second storey section being for the offices, employee lunch room etc.

I'm not seeing that in this pic. The roof appears to be all at the same level.

This pic also gives a view of the Teasdale & Foot (former Dartmouth Chevrolet-Olds car dealer that became Forbes) used car lot wrapping around the Scotiabank on the southeast corner of Wyse and Nantucket.

One thing I just noticed: I wonder what that was on the island in the intersection of Wyse & Nantucket? Looks like more than just signage.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:02 PM

I think it's a little more obvious at this angle:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/NSIS/...es.asp?ID=2451

Or this one:
https://novascotia.ca/archives/NSIS/...es.asp?ID=2453

It may not be a full storey, but it is definitely raised above the main roof. Again, it's just a theory.

I thought Teasdale and Foote were located on Prince Albert Road in that old stone building (near Starr Manufacturing) that they tore down in the 1990s. - The one that the Skoda dealership occupied in the 1980s.

Not sure of that centre island, but worth investigating...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I think it's a little more obvious at this angle:

It may not be a full storey, but it is definitely raised above the main roof. Again, it's just a theory.
I see it now, thanks.

Quote:
I thought Teasdale and Foote were located on Prince Albert Road in that old stone building (near Starr Manufacturing) that they tore down in the 1990s. - The one that the Skoda dealership occupied in the 1980s.

Not sure of that centre island, but worth investigating...
The stone building was their new car facility. It had very little free space so the used cars were sold at the Nantucket lot.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:15 AM

Quote:
The stone building was their new car facility. It had very little free space so the used cars were sold at the Nantucket lot.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:38 PM

One final photo from the Dartmouth bus terminal discussion:

Source

Sorry... back to discussion about the Ralston!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 11:49 AM

Public weighs in on proposals for downtown Halifax development

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ouse-1.5033379

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 1:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Public weighs in on proposals for downtown Halifax development

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ouse-1.5033379
This is actually such an exciting project. That block is a little dead between the parking garage across the street and the gravel lot next to it, and the Salter lot on the other side of it. Some street level interest will be a huge upgrade from the plywood safety barriers we have there now.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
This is actually such an exciting project. That block is a little dead between the parking garage across the street and the gravel lot next to it, and the Salter lot on the other side of it. Some street level interest will be a huge upgrade from the plywood safety barriers we have there now.
This project is squarely in the middle of by far the worst portion of the southern half of downtown. On the one hand it could make a huge positive difference but on the other there are still so many dead zones nearby that it'll still feel gap-toothed.

It will be interesting to see if Lower Water Street evolves into some kind of pedestrian or shopping corridor. Aside from this development on Lower Water there's also Queen's Marque and the Cunard site. For now it feels like a non-entity, almost the back alley of the boardwalk.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 7:17 PM

Interesting, though I didn't see a link to the latest proposals, which appear to be further along and more detailed than the ones posted by someone123 on page 1.

It will be nice to have some more development on that block, but hopefully it will have good architecture and quality materials/finishes (the same thing I hope for on every project, but don't see so often).

FWIW, here is a pic from October 1956 showing the Ralston under construction:

Source - Halifax Municipal Archives

Photo location

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 9:46 PM

Here are the renderings, taken from here (PDF):

Concept 1: Community Courtyard

Concept 2: Geometric Atrium

Concept 3: Modern Mixed-use

There's more information in the PDF itself.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 10:00 PM

Thanks for that!

I'm liking concept 1 the best, with the open courtyard.

Concept 2 is a close second - I am intrigued by the glass atrium though am thinking it might be a sweatbox in the summertime.

Concept 3 is a definite no for me. I don't find blockbuster-type developments appealing in the least, and find this one particularly unattractive.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that!

I'm liking concept 1 the best, with the open courtyard.

Concept 2 is a close second - I am intrigued by the glass atrium though am thinking it might be a sweatbox in the summertime.

Concept 3 is a definite no for me. I don't find blockbuster-type developments appealing in the least, and find this one particularly unattractive.
Agreed. Concept 2 could be an interesting all-weather "public space" if done right. Something like the Killam Library atrium but larger, with lots of tables and chairs.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 2:52 AM

Concept two definitely looks like the most impressive. Very unique, could be cool if done right.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 6:54 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think I like 2 the most too.

One thing that's a little disappointing is that none of the proposals seem to follow the curve of Lower Water Street. The irregular shape of this parcel is part of what makes it interesting. Imagine how much better the view would be looking south on Lower Water if the buildings curved a little.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 12:13 PM
Closed account

I like the idea of number two the best. A climate-controlled space that can be used year-round, similar to the Keiths Brewery, with retail access inside would be a great space. I also like the idea of it as a link between Hollis and Lower Water St--makes for a nice break from the cold.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 12:22 PM

I find it curious that Canada Lands is proposing largely residential development for the site. Are they suggesting that they would build and operate such a project? If so, why?

It is unfortunate that some of the more adventurous designs did not make the cut. These all seem variations on the same thing. Proposal 2 is interesting with the atrium but the perimeter buildings on Hollis and Salter seem the worst of the bunch to me. Proposal 1 with the open courtyard seems good except I cannot help but think what a hellhole that would be on days like we have had this week with frigid temps and high winds.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
...Proposal 2 is interesting with the atrium but the perimeter buildings on Hollis and Salter seem the worst of the bunch to me. Proposal 1 with the open courtyard seems good except I cannot help but think what a hellhole that would be on days like we have had this week with frigid temps and high winds.
Agree - I like the perimeter buildings of #1, but the weather protection of #2. Though, I wonder if the weather protection will actually lead to it feeling like a private space, not for public use.

#3 is not appealing to me.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
I find it curious that Canada Lands is proposing largely residential development for the site. Are they suggesting that they would build and operate such a project? If so, why?
No, Canada Lands doesn't do the development. They'll price the land to fit the development proposal and include conditions in the sale to require the developer to build the proposal.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 6:03 PM

Well, that seems like a recipe for failure and disappointment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth