HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 7:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The problem of course is that many of those big Victorians were converted to rental apartments/rooms decades ago and are in very poor repair with most of their interior detail stripped out. There is very little left to save except the exterior shell.
The public benefit mostly comes from the exterior though. The primary goal is to restore the integrity of some old streetscapes that are now "missing teeth".

Some people want modern interiors and are pretty happy with a shell. It's common around here for old houses to be rebuilt in that way. Lots of fully gutted Craftsman type homes around here.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Those buildings next to Hope Cottage were there not that long ago.
From the snippets of vehicles in the photos, I'd say these were taken in the mid-to-late 1960s. I don't personally recall when they were torn down, though.

Quote:
It's a fair argument that the public should get to see what the Robie/Carlton block proposals would look like together, I have tried to imagine that myself.
I think so too. That's why I stated it in my post from September that someone123 quoted partially. Of course we understand that that they are done by 2 different developers and thus they will not include another developer's project in their renderings, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual scope of both projects together is not apparent when viewing one rendering or the other. There's a similar case on Quinpool, where there are 3 or 4 large projects being proposed - on their own they are significant enough, but collectively they will really change the streetscape.

It would be nice if there were a way for the city to provide that kind of viewpoint, but it seems like something a little outside their usual scope. I'm not sure if other cities do that or not. That said, I'm sure it's not some kind of devious conspiracy designed to fool us all, it's just the way things are done at this point.

I do agree with those who say the project scale is reasonable for this part of the city, though I'd prefer to achieve the density with taller buildings and a smaller footprint, thus retaining more of the character of the original neighborhood.

I also agree that how it relates streetside is most important. I hope that at the pedestrian level there will be good quality materials and attractive architecture (yeah... I know they are difficult to quantify, but I think we all have a general idea on what that means, even if we don't agree on the details).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 2:36 PM

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...hanges-275731/

It is terrible that the buildings on Carlton Street have not been maintained. Most were in quite good shape when I lived on the street in the late '80s.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
With a bit more coordination it might be possible to have more Morris House type projects in Halifax...
The relocated Morris House is STILL empty.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a combined view:

More information here (about development options - presumably "a little" or "none"): https://www.developmentoptionshfx.com/their-end-result/

The towers look pretty good together, and there's clearly a cluster developing around Spring Garden and Robie. There is actually a third proposal missing here, the new tower proposed behind Spring Garden Terrace.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Here's a combined view:

More information here (about development options - presumably "a little" or "none"): https://www.developmentoptionshfx.com/their-end-result/

The towers look pretty good together, and there's clearly a cluster developing around Spring Garden and Robie. There is actually a third proposal missing here, the new tower proposed behind Spring Garden Terrace.
This proposal hasn't had any updates since 2015 after lobbying NIMBYs managed to shave a whole 2 stories off and save the day.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
This proposal hasn't had any updates since 2015 after lobbying NIMBYs managed to shave a whole 2 stories off and save the day.
Losing 2 storeys was enough to kill it?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:09 PM

You can always count on Pam Berman (how is she still employed?) and the CBC to give anti-development obstructionist Peggy Cameron a platform to air her views:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...wers-1.4996107

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
You can always count on Pam Berman (how is she still employed?) and the CBC to give anti-development obstructionist Peggy Cameron a platform to air her views:

Quote:
The combined projects could add 1,000 people and 800 cars to the area
If 1,000 people move to that block they all won't need cars because they would be on priority transit routes of Robie St. and Spring Garden Road. Not to mention that they could walk to work at nearby hospitals, etc.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:39 PM

Yes, and even if they do have cars they will probably spend most of their time parked in the garage. Anybody moving to that location will want to be there because of its proximity to SGR and the downtown, which they will not be driving to. I'm sure there will be a number of students living there who won't have cars anyhow.

Notice there is no attention focused on the amenities they will bring to area residents? If I lived in the area I'd be pleased that there will be a bunch of new shops and services coming to my neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:

In positive news, that's the first clear rendering that I've seen of the two together. Looks great! Perfect for the area. Great transit, very walkable. The area should have 1000 more people living in it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 11:55 PM
hi

It's shameful that this 'article' is not clearly presented as an op-ed.

Speaking of high rises in close proximity, I was just (google) cruising around this area in Chicago: https://goo.gl/maps/T6sE4RcDfL22

Or how about Hong Kong for that matter:

https://www.andyyeungphotography.com...ngle/i-q2pfv7k

Obviously very different cities but in any case, I think these proposed developments are very fitting for this area.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
In positive news, that's the first clear rendering that I've seen of the two together. Looks great! Perfect for the area. Great transit, very walkable. The area should have 1000 more people living in it.
I think it looks good too.

One planning concern is that the city should be looking at how to integrate this area with the main stretch of Spring Garden Road. They should try to encourage redevelopment of old tower-in-the-park style buildings that have cut up the streetscape. Really this comes down to building a handful of low-rise podiums with rooftop amenities.

It would also be nice if Coburg Road were to develop into more of a commercial area. This would be beneficial for Dalhousie and the neighbourhoods nearby. I'm imagining small scale local shops, cafes, etc., not major retailers. There is already a bit of that but there could be a lot more.

In the long run it should be an interesting and varied pedestrian experience from Barrington all the way to Oxford.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Reporters don't get to pick their assignments.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
I think it looks good too.

One planning concern is that the city should be looking at how to integrate this area with the main stretch of Spring Garden Road. They should try to encourage redevelopment of old tower-in-the-park style buildings that have cut up the streetscape. Really this comes down to building a handful of low-rise podiums with rooftop amenities.

It would also be nice if Coburg Road were to develop into more of a commercial area. This would be beneficial for Dalhousie and the neighbourhoods nearby. I'm imagining small scale local shops, cafes, etc., not major retailers. There is already a bit of that but there could be a lot more.

In the long run it should be an interesting and varied pedestrian experience from Barrington all the way to Oxford.
Make sure you shuffle along to the public hearing and offer your opinion.
There will be a public hearing in February re the new Land use map for Dartmouth, not including the downtown. Probably a mere formality after the staff give their explanations, but you never know who will show up.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Reporters don't get to pick their assignments.
But they do get to write their stories the way they choose. Berman is an absolutely terrible reporter, never any perspective or balance, never any understanding of the subject in question. She just writes verbatim what the person involved wants her to write.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:28 PM

Quote:
I seem to recall TEAL Architects had a design at one point for a podium around Embassy Towers. I wonder what happened to that. It would have been a great improvement to that block, and it could have potentially solved that building's financial woes.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
But they do get to write their stories the way they choose. Berman is an absolutely terrible reporter, never any perspective or balance, never any understanding of the subject in question. She just writes verbatim what the person involved wants her to write.

It is interesting when what is reported verbatim is that in 2012 there was a plan to make the block between Robie and Carlton a heritage district. I expect that when all the heritage areas are decimated they may have some discussions about doing this.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:15 PM

Well, Peggy may have had a plan. Or Howard. Or the anti-development boffins within the Heritage Trust. If the entire downtown was designated heritage that would suit their goal of never building anything new. I suspect HRM wasn't among those interested.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
It's shameful that this 'article' is not clearly presented as an op-ed.

Speaking of high rises in close proximity, I was just (google) cruising around this area in Chicago: https://goo.gl/maps/T6sE4RcDfL22

Or how about Hong Kong for that matter:

Obviously very different cities but in any case, I think these proposed developments are very fitting for this area.
I agree that these proposed developments are a good fit for the area.

Regarding Chicago, I'm surprised when you look at the area in Google 3D, that the "beauty shot" downtown skyscraper district is actually quite miniscule when you look at the entire city (population 2.7 million). All the rest looks like low rise buildings, single family dwellings, business/industrial park type buildings, etc... not unlike Halifax actually, and this type of built environment occupies the vast majority of the city, probably to an even greater extent than Halifax.

So, it puts it all in perspective when people put down Halifax as being backward or not having enough tall buildings. Maybe when Halifax's population surpasses 1 million, we should expect it to be more like Chicago, and maybe when it surpasses 5 million can we expect it to be like Hong Kong.

Thanks for this perspective - looking at it from this angle, Halifax actually looks pretty good. Compared to Chicago, we have no idea what actual sprawl is...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth