HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:20 PM

[Halifax] The George (6016 Pepperell) | 44 m | 14 fl | Completed

This proposal is for the vacant lot on Robie Street between Pepperell and Shirley Streets one block south of Quinpool Road. Google Maps

Regional Council gave the thumbs up for this project to proceed through the Centre Plan process. Standard public consultation and review of the new planning rules will determine if the project should be approved.

Case 20148 Details

- DJ

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:37 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This proposal is for the vacant lot on Robie Street between Pepperell and Shirley Streets one block south of Quinpool Road. Google Maps

Regional Council gave the thumbs up for this project to proceed through the Centre Plan process. Standard public consultation and review of the new planning rules will determine if the project should be approved.

Case 20148 Details
Design looks even better.

At least they have enough sense not to lop any stories off this.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 4:02 AM

This looks good! This lot has been vacant way too long. My friend's dad took us to watch some abandoned houses being demolished there about 20 years ago. In the early 2000s there was a high-rise proposal for the site that got shot down by NIMBYs.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 11:18 PM
we built this city

Any movement on this one?

It is approved?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:08 AM

I think it still needs a public meeting. Dexel seems to do one building at a time. They have just started at Hollis and Bishop. The Spring Garden site may be ahead of this one.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 11:12 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I think it still needs a public meeting. Dexel seems to do one building at a time. They have just started at Hollis and Bishop. The Spring Garden site may be ahead of this one.
Thanks for the info! It would be great if either of those two get built.

I'm surprised on how the process moved forward with Hollis and Bishop. That area is going to be interesting when the remaining infill is developed.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:37 AM

They have a drill rig on this site today... Hopefully this is a good sign.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:54 PM

I believe this is the site that was in the news years ago where there was some resistance to the developer tearing down the Victorian houses that were on this site.

I couldn't find anything online about it, but IIRC, the houses were bought, maintenance deferred until they were very run down, there was some resistance/protest to tearing them down, developer then paints the houses in multi colours to make them look even worse, and in the end houses torn down to create empty lot for a decade or so.

It's good to see that something is finally happening here. Get it done already!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 5:11 PM

Was the opposite of multi-coloured, if memory serves. They were all painted a very dark shade of blue. No accent colours.

But yeah, they were allowed to get rundown to the point where there wasn't much that was salvageable.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Was the opposite of multi-coloured, if memory serves. They were all painted a very dark shade of blue. No accent colours.

But yeah, they were allowed to get rundown to the point where there wasn't much that was salvageable.
Mark is right, there was a period, in protest, when they were multicoloured.
Before that they were all one neutral colour. They had been rentals for a long time.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post

My memory is that they initially were somewhat dark, I was thinking grey, but after there was some public resistance the owner painted each row of shingles a different colour, which looked terrible (which, of course was the desired result). Maybe it was painted dark blue after this? Not sure, it was a long time ago, which was why I was hoping I could find something online about it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:51 PM

I don't remember the protest period at all, but it's not the first time my memory has failed me, so...

I do remember the period of decline before they were torn down, though.

At any rate, it will be nice to have something new built on the lot.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 9:46 PM

Still looking, haven't found much except this press release from the city in 2001 (so at least have established a date):

http://legacycontent.halifax.ca/medi...oskolossue.php

Quote:
News Release

Dangerous/Unsightly Buildings Ordered Demolished

(Tuesday, July 3/2001)-- Councillor Sue Uteck said today that a group of properties in central Halifax that have been termed a "public eyesore" since the mid-90s will soon be torn down.

Halifax Regional Municipality's Dangerous and Unsightly Premises Committee this morning ordered the demolition of buildings located at 1934-58 Robie Street. The properties are assessed to A.N. Koskolos Limited.

"The residents of this area, and everybody else who has had to look at them while walking or driving by them, can finally breathe a sigh of relief. These buildings are a disgrace to the neighbourhood and to the entire community. The neighbourhood is looking forward to a compatible development on this site, " Councillor Uteck said.

The Councillor said "The Koskolos company has been very insensitive to the residents of the Robie Street community and has gone out of its way to make these properties as unattractive as possible in an effort to bring pressure to bear on Council to change the land-use by-law for these properties."

She said the property owner has been trying to get approval for a high-density development on these lands since 1994 and has been turned down by successful Councils. It is understood the developer now wants to build a 108-room, no-service hotel. Area residents have repeatedly stated publicly that they are opposed to any high-density project on that site.

Councillor Uteck said A.N. Koskolos Limited has 30 days to demolish the buildings at 1934, 1940, 1944, 1948, 1950, 1956 and 1958 Robie Street or they will be torn down by the municipality and the cost will be charged as a lien against the properties.

On another matter, the Committee also ordered demolition of a building located at 1083 Wellington Street, in south end Halifax. The property is assessed to J & I Investments.

Councillor Uteck said the building is structurally-unsound and essentially abandoned for the last two years. Area residents have been pressing for HRM to have the building torn down.

-30---

Councillor Sue Uteck
District 13 (Northwest Arm-South End)
(902) 221-7651

Councillor Bruce Hetherington
Chair, Dangerous and Unsightly Premises Committee
(902) 488-4808

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 9:49 PM

The wages of the anti-development obstructionists are paid in demolition orders from the city. It should never have gone on this long.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The wages of the anti-development obstructionists are paid in demolition orders from the city. It should never have gone on this long.
It's an interesting look into how empty lots (this one for 17 years) are created.

In this case, nobody left the table happy, and everybody paid the price.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 12:34 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I believe this was approved to move forward after the Public Hearing last night.

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2018...velopment.html

Last edited by Jstaleness; Aug 1, 2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added link.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I believe this was approved to move forward after the Public Hearing last night.

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2018...velopment.html
Went by it today and it's fenced off, but I forget which construction company is building it. There was also a sign showing the site address. The sign had fallen over, but viewpointDOTca says it's 6030 Pepperell.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 1:30 AM

This has been moved to the "Current Work" tab on their website. I think these are new renderings:

Dexel - Current Work

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:48 PM

Excavation is underway now.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 1:45 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth