HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 1:43 PM

Approved.....

"Killam's Governor's Plaza development approved for downtown Halifax
The eight-storey residential building will go up next to a heritage property and behind the Alexander, both also owned by Killam."

http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax...n-halifax.html

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 2:38 PM

Looks like a solid addition to the area. Fingers crossed they don't cheap out on the exterior stone, could really make or break this one.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 6:09 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Looks like a solid addition to the area. Fingers crossed they don't cheap out on the exterior stone, could really make or break this one.
This area has a lot of potential. It has tons of character, but a few big holes and a few plain looking buildings which I assume are neglected rentals. One example is the beige box across the street from the building torn down for Flynn Flats. If that were given the "Forbes" treatment it would look great.

Originally the brewery redevelopment plan also included "Halkirk House", a 4-5 floor house-like building that would go between Keith Hall and Weir House, and the reconstruction of the fourth floor mansard roof on Keith Hall.

Source

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Originally the brewery redevelopment plan also included "Halkirk House", a 4-5 floor house-like building that would go between Keith Hall and Weir House, and the reconstruction of the fourth floor mansard roof on Keith Hall.
Last I checked, the development agreement for the whole site still had the requirement for the mansard roof on Keith Hall. I wonder if it will actually get done.

Quote:
If that were given the "Forbes" treatment it would look great.
Apparently Forbes is retiring!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 9:12 PM

I didn't get a good look but there was an excavator digging at the site when I drove by this afternoon.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:31 PM

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 1:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The elevations posted earlier explicitly label the main part of the front facade of this as "stone masonry". I'm eager to see how it turns out, along with the one across the street.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 4:34 PM

False alarm. They were just levelling it out so they could put a mobile crane in today.

20180719_164238 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 12:54 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Bigger rendering:

Source

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Another rendering:

https://killamreit.com/new-developme...ax-ns/governor

The site how says "further details will be coming in mid 2019".

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:55 AM
hi

This looks like an excellent project. Too bad it doesn't appear to be starting imminently.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:28 PM

On the one hand, I'm very ready for a break from construction in my neighbourhood. On the other hand, I can't wait to see this one get built. I wish they would get started on it now so that the construction mess could overlap with Flynn Flats as much as possible.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:34 PM

That looks like it should flow well with the streetscape. Looking forward to seeing this one move forward.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 9:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Bumping this one. I was going to set it to U/C but it already was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Barriers gone up around the Governor site (Bishop & Hollis).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 10:50 PM
Closed account

There was also a neighbourhood consultation last month. Didn't make it, but construction is supposed to fully get underway this winter. I think things will start once the brewery courtyard and stairs are fully complete.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 11:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
There was also a neighbourhood consultation last month. Didn't make it, but construction is supposed to fully get underway this winter. I think things will start once the brewery courtyard and stairs are fully complete.
When this is under construction or complete, there will be a decent streetscape extending south along Hollis Street starting around Keith Hall. With another couple of comparatively small changes (fix up the wood apartment building, some maintenance for Black-Binney House and its grounds) it could be great. With a few more infill buildings like Salter and something for the nearby parking lots, this turn into a great neighbourhood. Most Canadian cities don't really have this style of development, with the narrow streets, hills, and a mix of very old buildings with tons of character and modern infill.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 12:10 AM
Closed account

Quote:
When this is under construction or complete, there will be a decent streetscape extending south along Hollis Street starting around Keith Hall. With another couple of comparatively small changes (fix up the wood apartment building, some maintenance for Black-Binney House and its grounds) it could be great. With a few more infill buildings like Salter and something for the nearby parking lots, this turn into a great neighbourhood. Most Canadian cities don't really have this style of development, with the narrow streets, hills, and a mix of very old buildings with tons of character and modern infill.
I was talking to some friends about how weirdly dead Hollis can be sometimes. It's a major street but just doesn't seem to get that much foot traffic. Hopefully these residential developments (Ralston, Gulf lot) will liven things up.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I was talking to some friends about how weirdly dead Hollis can be sometimes. It's a major street but just doesn't seem to get that much foot traffic. Hopefully these residential developments (Ralston, Gulf lot) will liven things up.
It's almost like an alley in that it's got the back end of the brewery and the back end of the Maritime Centre. Then there's the MetroPark which is not interesting, the abandoned Ralston Building, and farther south is mostly lower density residential until you get to Morris and it's got stronger mix of commercial. Architecturally it has some gems though.

It's too bad the MT&T building on Hollis was torn down. It was a 6 storey office building where the Four Points is today. I think it had another smaller brick office building next to it too.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 2:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
It's almost like an alley in that it's got the back end of the brewery and the back end of the Maritime Centre. Then there's the MetroPark which is not interesting, the abandoned Ralston Building, and farther south is mostly lower density residential until you get to Morris and it's got stronger mix of commercial. Architecturally it has some gems though.

It's too bad the MT&T building on Hollis was torn down. It was a 6 storey office building where the Four Points is today. I think it had another smaller brick office building next to it too.
That back end of the Maritime Centre really kills it, the the Four Points isn't really exciting either. I think along that side of the block, there's hardly a thing that would have people coming and going besides the hotel.

There's quite a bit of work going on still inside the Keiths Hall building fronting Hollis, now the "Hollis Factory" or something like that. Brown Hound is also opening a second location on the block. Within 5 years the South side of the street should be quite solid.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
That back end of the Maritime Centre really kills it, the the Four Points isn't really exciting either. I think along that side of the block, there's hardly a thing that would have people coming and going besides the hotel.

There's quite a bit of work going on still inside the Keiths Hall building fronting Hollis, now the "Hollis Factory" or something like that. Brown Hound is also opening a second location on the block. Within 5 years the South side of the street should be quite solid.
Cabin Coffee has the best cinnamon buns in town, so there's that...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth