HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Geez I wish they'd just leave it alone. It's fine as it is...
I disagree. This thing needs an upgrade. I like the glass curtain intimated a few posts above. The two-tone concrete, "oops we should have built that high in the first place" is something I've always hated.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
I disagree. This thing needs an upgrade. I like the glass curtain intimated a few posts above. The two-tone concrete, "oops we should have built that high in the first place" is something I've always hated.
Years ago I spoke to one of the design engineers responsible for that. He said they actually tinted the newer concrete panels in an attempt to make them look like the slightly weathered older lower panels, but got it wrong.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It's fine as it is...
Is it though? The sunken patio area is definitely nice, but the wind is brutal on the sidewalk, the entrance stairs completely kill any street presence, and the interior mall is a disorganized mess.

EDIT: Plus, they named the conceptual restaurant after you!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 2:36 PM
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder how long it will be before construction starts on this one?
Not sure about a start date but HalifaxRetales recently posted this:
Quote:
Niche Lounge, is moving to the other side of Maritime Centre where Halifax Feast was for years, later this summer. The food court is now empty and that level will become parking. They are getting ready for the major renovation that will have a new modern food court that sounds like will be filled with brand names.
https://halifax.retales.ca/2018/07/a...aven-espresso/

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 3:19 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Is the recladding going to be done, it looks great and maybe it would get rid of the two tone concrete panels there now...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 3:31 PM

I don't think there are actually any plans to actually reclad it, no.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Is the recladding going to be done, it looks great and maybe it would get rid of the two tone concrete panels there now...
It wasn't included in their site plan approval application, so if it is getting done it's in this round of renos with the podium changes.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 6:01 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
I personally hate large low podiums in general and prefer the entrance of a highrise to be either in the exterior wall of the actual building, or even better, inset into the building footprint. I just find it detracts from the building's aesthetics and the horizontal nature of the podiums clash with the vertical nature of the main structure. It also seems somehow disingenuous as if they're trying to distract attention away from that presence of a highrise by presenting from the street level as if it was a lowrise building.

And I also am tiring of every highrise needing to be glass. When glass cladding first made appearance in cities like NY, they provided an incredible contrast to the "concrete jugle" composing the largely monochromatic earth tones of the masonry and metal cityscape. They sparkled like gems against their dull backdrops. But when everything starts sparkling, you quickly realize. Those aren't gems... it's cubic zircon! Not as much an issue in cities like NY with a solid foundation of traditional cityscape, but that ain't us.

So basically all new highrise buildings are glass, that's fine. It annoys me but I realize that styles, tastes, and construction technology changes over time. All I ask is to leave the older buildings alone.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 6:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax still doesn't have that high of a proportion of glass highrises though. There are a lot of older concrete and masonry buildings, and some of the new ones have masonry components. It's not a highrise but Queen's Marque won't be a glass box. The Roy is a bit unusual too. Porcelain cladding has been popular, although it's usually in a bland colour.

There were a lot of mediocre masonry-clad buildings build in the 2000's in Halifax. It would be interesting to see a modern higher quality example clad in stone and brick.

I'm not a big fan of low-rise podiums either but in this case it seems like an improvement since the existing plaza isn't great and suffers from downwashing wind from the tower. I wish the podium were slightly taller to maintain the scale of the buildings one block over.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 10:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Update on the website:

Quote:
Update: We have just been given approval from the HRM to begin Phase I of the Maritime Centre redevelopment. Phase I of the redevelopment will commence on Sunday, December 1st, 2019. Phase I of the redevelopment will consist of demolition and construction of a new building entrance at the corner of Salter Street and Barrington Street. The beginning stages of Phase I will include taking the corner of Salter Street and Barrington Street entrance out of commission. There will be NO public access permitted at the former corner of Salter Street and Barrington Street entrance during the duration of Phase I.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 10:48 PM
Closed account

Barriers are up on this one. Really curious to see how much this retrofit cuts down on the wind tunnel effect.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 6:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 10:46 PM
Halifax Promoter!

The area at the base of Maritme Centre was always a barren wasteland... This will be a huge improvement. I just wish the portion facing Barrington St. will be put to proper use for retail and it would be nice to get a bigger store - Simon was mentioned some time back, but I hear they are not interested.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 8:47 PM

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:07 AM

Just when I thought Halifax's ugliest building couldn't get more horrid. I hope the architect that originally drew that up, was shocked they not only took it seriously, but thought it was a good idea.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 1:32 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 9:20 PM

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 11:48 PM

From last week:

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 9:42 PM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

I wonder if the plan is to reclad the whole building with these smaller panels?

Hopefully they'll stop doing this:

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 10:57 AM

The building has always had an air quality problem due to inadequate ventilation caused by its hourglass profile, so I'm not too surprised they are trying to add more exterior vents.

The podium work does not look great in its present form but hopefully will look better as it progresses. Unfortunately the Salter St entrance appears destined to remain undersized and tucked away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth