HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 10:53 PM
Salty Town

Don't like the concept at all. Very few buildings, let alone towers, have plaza space in Halifax. They should invest in an observation deck.

It would be nice to see Simons though. Maybe in a historic building like the one below where Doull's book store was...3 or 4 floors. Similar to Montreal.

Better location for Simons:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/St+...!4d-63.6082395

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
If Simons is indeed going into the podium, I wouldn't worry about the quality of the material. Their stores are built with great architecture and such a store would indeed be a game-changer for Halifax and I can see it doing well there.
I echo that. This Ottawa Citizen piece details the planning that went into Simons new Ottawa store, as well as the great work by Cadillac Fairview to reinvent the tired Rideau Centre.

http://ottawacitizen.com/business/lo...early-complete

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 3:48 PM
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Don't like the concept at all. Very few buildings, let alone towers, have plaza space in Halifax.
This was my initial thought. I can't think of many other plazas like this. It's at at the intersection of two very important, yet relatively narrow streets (being downtown Halifax). Although it has its drawbacks, I find that it really opens up and highlights the area, whereas I think this would make it feel more cramped. I also just like the look of the different levels, and also the tall windows at the base of the building. The Maritime Centre is not the prettiest building but I appreciate these elements that went into the original design.

Having said all that, if it's going to happen, it would be nice to see Simons in there. It's a significant store which would really help to tie together the shopping districts of Barrington & Spring Garden, further strengthening downtown as a destination (imho). Perhaps Simons is the only reason this is being considered in the first place, though I wish there were a way they could incorporate more into the existing building / subterranean mall.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:11 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I'd love to have Simmons (or almost any department store) downtown, but I hate the aesthetics of this. I can't stand highrises with podiums or plazas at the base, and fortunately we've actually been pretty good at avoiding them compared to a lot of cities. If we were to get a Simmons, the best potential spots would be either the corner of Queen and Morris (behind the Library), the other "sister site", to expand Barrington place with a Flat-iron addition on the empty lot across from Scotia Square, or to expand Scotia Square to over the ugly Delta/Cogswell tower entry area.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:59 AM

I don't know, I like it, I think it improves the corner, and having a Simon's there would be fantastic; an anchor tenant that will draw people down from Spring Garden to Barrington, helping feed and revive that street.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
I don't know, I like it, I think it improves the corner, and having a Simon's there would be fantastic; an anchor tenant that will draw people down from Spring Garden to Barrington, helping feed and revive that street.
I agree with you. I think that a Simon's in this location may be a pipe dream, but I can't think of a location in the downtown better for store of that size, let a lone one of national recognition like this. Not only would it help revive Barrington but it would do wonders for Spring Garden too. Not to mention who knows what will happen to Maritime Centre in the coming years with Bell Aliant pulling out.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown View Post
I agree with you. I think that a Simon's in this location may be a pipe dream, but I can't think of a location in the downtown better for store of that size, let a lone one of national recognition like this. Not only would it help revive Barrington but it would do wonders for Spring Garden too. Not to mention who knows what will happen to Maritime Centre in the coming years with Bell Aliant pulling out.
I like the possibility of a Simon's at the foot of SGR. It would make this part of SGR a destination and would tie Spring Garden Road and Barrington Street together - it would be a linchpin of sorts.

Where is Bell Aliant going???

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 1:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Does the corner really need improvement? Personally I don't really see it. The Cogswell Tower ground level sure needs improvement and so does the Purdy's Wharf complex. But the MC complex seems fine to me.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Does the corner really need improvement? Personally I don't really see it. The Cogswell Tower ground level sure needs improvement and so does the Purdy's Wharf complex. But the MC complex seems fine to me.
If they can fix the wind issue, then yes, it'll be a huge improvement.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
If they can fix the wind issue, then yes, it'll be a huge improvement.
I have no idea if the podium would help the wind issue very much. I always was led to believe that the problem is the shape of the tower itself.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, it really does. It's an badly designed corner that consists of bland concrete stairs and nothing else. Wouldn't mind if it was marble, but it's not. It's also not inviting. Not nice to look at. Does not bring anyone to this corner. Does not add anything. It really does need improvement.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 12:03 AM
Volatile Pacivist

I just don't agree. Any time I go by there I see people in the lower part sitting and dining in an inviting setting and appearing to have a good time. With the upper part, It's an office building. The office part doesn't need to attract anyone other than the office workers. The retail part I don't think attracts many people since it doesn't seem to be every obvious what's actually down there. I don't honestly know what stores are currently there since there's no noticeable sign-age, so there's nothing to "invite" me in. But in terms of aesthetics, it looks perfectly fine.

I honestly think it looks better and more inviting now than in the render.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Don't like the concept at all. Very few buildings, let alone towers, have plaza space in Halifax. They should invest in an observation deck.

It would be nice to see Simons though. Maybe in a historic building like the one below where Doull's book store was...3 or 4 floors. Similar to Montreal.

Better location for Simons:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/St+...!4d-63.6082395
Can't put an observation deck on this building due to some of the "tenants"....

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I have no idea if the podium would help the wind issue very much. I always was led to believe that the problem is the shape of the tower itself.
Can't confirm for sure in this case, as I haven't done or seen wind studies. But generally, podiums help with wind. With towers the issue is that air hits the building and then is redirected up, down, and around the tower. The wind that's directed down of course makes life hell at street level. The benefit of a podium is that it intercepts the down wind before it gets to the street.

Quote:
The retail part I don't think attracts many people since it doesn't seem to be every obvious what's actually down there. I don't honestly know what stores are currently there since there's no noticeable sign-age, so there's nothing to "invite" me in.
Which is a problem with the design of the building and its interaction with the street.

To be clear, I think the Niche "pit" is an awesome feature of this building and I don't want to see it go. But the rest of the interface with the street is terrible, especially on the Salter/Barrington corner (this proposal isn't just for the Barrington/Spring Garden corner, but no one has posted the other rendering angles). I do think Jonovision is right though, the architecture seems a little insubstantial compared to the tower.

Ideally, I'd like to see the top-right section (to the right of the Simons sign in the render q12 posted) be a covered patio for Niche to that the location can still look lively when you're walking down Spring Garden.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 7:32 PM

New website with renderings and more info on this:

http://maritimecentre.ca/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
New website with renderings and more info on this:

http://maritimecentre.ca/
What a mess.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
What a mess.
???

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 1:12 PM

Source: http://maritimecentre.ca/

^Great photo in the background of that website!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 9:44 AM

As far as I can tell they are turning the current shopping mall into more car parking, necessitating a new garage exit on Salter Street (in addition to the existing garage entrance on Hollis).

The extent of this proposal is not very obvious from the above website, but there are drawings in this document.

This seems like a big step backwards. I'm all for streetscape improvements, but a new garage entrance should absolutely not be permitted. The building is well-served by transit and is right across the street from MetroPark, which I have never seen at capacity. The addition of a new garage door is also totally inconsistent with the goals of the Design Manual.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
As far as I can tell they are turning the current shopping mall into more car parking, necessitating a new garage exit on Salter Street (in addition to the existing garage entrance on Hollis).

The extent of this proposal is not very obvious from the above website, but there are drawings in this document.

This seems like a big step backwards. I'm all for streetscape improvements, but a new garage entrance should absolutely not be permitted. The building is well-served by transit and is right across the street from MetroPark, which I have never seen at capacity. The addition of a new garage door is also totally inconsistent with the goals of the Design Manual.
EDIT: My mistake, looking at the wrong drawing. I see it now. Totally backwards design. I thought the purpose of this was to make the MC more inviting at a ground level?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth