HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 4:38 PM
Steven Courchene

i hope this is approved much sooner then july seems promising and want won me over is the great mix of everything that make up such a vibrant community and that includes affordable housing
just like the majority of the north end the high and low and everything in and between

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 6:48 PM

LOL - they've named the surface parking lot "King Square." https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...2019_17_01.pdf

I do like that this iteration better aligns with the street grid than the previous ones. It's very ambitious, and I hope it lives up to what appears to be some thoughtful analysis in the proposal document at the link on the HRM site: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...2019_18_01.pdf

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:24 AM

From an urban design standpoint, this iteration seems like a step down from the previous proposal. All the interesting interior laneways and public spaces have been replaced with car parking and driveways.

The way they dress this up in the presentation is not convincing:

"King Square" is a surface parking lot. "Clifton Green" is a suburban-style blob of landscaping defined by the huge driveways that surround it.

The proposed vehicular run-in/run-out on Almon Street (in front of "Building A") should not be allowed. There is a run-in along this stretch at present, but it doesn't interrupt the sidewalk in the same way this one does. These don't work well – pedestrians tend to take the most direct path (i.e. through the driveway or onto the "island") which becomes a safety hazard, because cars are able to enter the run-in at a relatively high speed.

I also don't see the need for it considering the same building is accessible from the rear, using the internal road network. Not to mention Almon Street is wide enough for cars to simply pull over!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 5:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

"D" is interesting. It's a bit weird but that block is going to be pretty intensively developed even though at its heart it has that L-shaped Clayton Park special. Believe it or not, when that was first built in the early 2000's or so there were newspaper articles about how it was too tall and upset the people living in houses one block over.

Given the way the developments have been improving and the way the city is growing it seems like it's worth just getting stuff through the pipeline quickly, and eventually addressing these problems through improved planning rules (e.g. Centre Plan in 2076). The little surface lots are not ideal but we're talking about an area that got a suburban-style Shoppers Drug Mart 10-15 years ago. In another 10 years there will be a new crop of developments built to a higher standard, but they will complement developments like this one. And maybe the densities will be high enough to support some better transit and some truly vibrant commercial and public areas.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
From an urban design standpoint, this iteration seems like a step down from the previous proposal...
Interesting. My take is that the urban form was better in this iteration. LOL.

I liked the better alignment with Clifton and King Streets.

Quote:
... All the interesting interior laneways and public spaces have been replaced with car parking and driveways...
Hmm... I felt they had a decent amount of the interior passages identified as pedestiran priority.

Quote:
"King Square" is a surface parking lot. "Clifton Green" is a suburban-style blob of landscaping defined by the huge driveways that surround it.
Yeah, parking lots do not equal squares. I had to roll my eyes at that too. Some of the images show what looks to be large format paving blocks. If these end up being like Argyle St., I'll be less concerned. I actually kind of like what they've shown for Clifton Green... aerial views of this area show a stark contrast between the green visible from above in this area versus the trees and green just a couple blocks to east, west and south.

Quote:
The proposed vehicular run-in/run-out on Almon Street (in front of "Building A") should not be allowed. There is a run-in along this stretch at present, but it doesn't interrupt the sidewalk in the same way this one does. These don't work well – pedestrians tend to take the most direct path (i.e. through the driveway or onto the "island") which becomes a safety hazard, because cars are able to enter the run-in at a relatively high speed.
Good point. I hadn't considered this.

I do think that this version increases the setbacks from Almon St, which is potentially beneficial. The building with CNIB in it isn't very big, but does feel like it crowds the sidewalk - particularly in late afternoons in the winter when this stretch feels so dark and shadowed.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Interesting. My take is that the urban form was better in this iteration. LOL.
I had the same thought. This one is unquestionably superior architecturally, IMO (I mean, for whatever marketing-material renderings are worth). Simpler, with a lighter palate.

It also seems as if the pedestrian priority is similar to the prior incarnation along King, St. Albans, and Clifton.

As for "Clifton Green," a lot will depend on the landscaping. "King Square", agreed, is likely to end up as simply a permanent parking lot rather than a "place for events," and doesn't need any grandiose name. Just call it what it is.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 12:38 PM

Rather than doing a lot of hand-wringing over the alleged "events plaza" consider this: this thing is in the center of a very dense block of residential apartments/condos/whatevers. I'm not sure those residents would appreciate rock concerts, a recreation of Lilith Fair, or a weekly flea market outside their windows. Given the size of the place and what I presume will eventually be a retail component, a parking lot is probably the best use.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Rather than doing a lot of hand-wringing over the alleged "events plaza" consider this: this thing is in the center of a very dense block of residential apartments/condos/whatevers. I'm not sure those residents would appreciate rock concerts, a recreation of Lilith Fair, or a weekly flea market outside their windows. Given the size of the place and what I presume will eventually be a retail component, a parking lot is probably the best use.
So practical. So boooring. LOL.

Point taken.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:00 PM

I don't know, one of the most expensive condo addresses in the city (Bishops Landing), is right next to the major downtown outdoor event space (Salter Block). Pretty much every summer weekend there is some sort of busy, noisy event there. Part of the choice of buying a condo on the Peninsula is being close to the action.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:22 PM

Mr Chedrawe should include a Kumbaya Court/Square and fill it with strolling minstrels, clowns, jugglers, mime artists, unicyclists, face painters,and gymnasts.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Mr Chedrawe should include a Kumbaya Court/Square and fill it with strolling minstrels, clowns, jugglers, mime artists, unicyclists, face painters,and gymnasts.
There will be plenty of clowns at the public meetings I'm sure.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Incidentally, one of the main tenants in the building that this is replacing was a circus arts/acrobat studio

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I don't know, one of the most expensive condo addresses in the city (Bishops Landing), is right next to the major downtown outdoor event space (Salter Block). Pretty much every summer weekend there is some sort of busy, noisy event there. Part of the choice of buying a condo on the Peninsula is being close to the action.
Well, being on the waterfront brings its own set of unique issues. I have often wondered how those fortunate enough to live in Bishop's Landing like being in such a public fishbowl with all the passersby there able to see them doing whatever inside their units. This location, in the "gritty north end", is somehat different.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, being on the waterfront brings its own set of unique issues. I have often wondered how those fortunate enough to live in Bishop's Landing like being in such a public fishbowl with all the passersby there able to see them doing whatever inside their units. This location, in the "gritty north end", is somehat different.
A former colleague used to live in Bishop's landing. His biggest complaint was trying to sleep amid all the noise from late night revellers.

I would think, though, that most people would take that into account before moving there and balance that with the fact that you would also have the benefit of being right on the waterfront and never too far from all the shops/bars/restaurants/events in the area.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I would think, though, that most people would take that into account before moving there and balance that with the fact that you would also have the benefit of being right on the waterfront and never too far from all the shops/bars/restaurants/events in the area.
Yeah, I live on Hollis St. and definitely get the noise from drunk students at 3am on a Friday night, or from drunk other people whenever Pier 21 has any big event. But for me that's just the cost of living a 2-minute walk from the market and easy access to those same bars and events.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 11:59 AM

Went past this site today and not only is it entirely cleared of the old buildings but significant excavation has already been done. This is indeed a large site which now can be easily seen with all of the old structures gone.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:25 AM

Blasting notices were handed out today for this project.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:04 PM

This one appears to be called Richmond Yards now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:12 PM

When did Willow Park become part of Bedford?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 1:08 AM

Is it just me, or does the massing on the main 28/22 floor tower look huge?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth