HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I think the difference is that I don't see anything random or haphazard. If you look closely, the building has near perfect symmetry, with only enough subtle variation as to give it some warmth. The black square toward the top is exactly in the middle of the Brenton St. façade (although it's hard to see it from the angle of the rendering). And the proportions are bang on as well as someone already mentioned. It's tall (for the area), but the setbacks take the edge off making it seem more sensitive to it's surroundings.

Even the colours are harmonious with the tan/grey, charcoal and gold contrasting enough to give some variation but not enough to be jarring. And the pattern created by the common balcony floors and the private balcony floors is consistent. They also strike the perfect balance in terms of materials, with enough glass to make it seem open and modern, but not so much glass as to see unimaginative or lacking in visual weight. The only thing I can possibly think to change would be to perhaps use cooler rather than warmer colours. But that's just a personal preference really.
A well-thought-out and well-written answer.

I'm not seeing the symmetry of which you speak, however. If you look at page 18 of the document linked by someone123 (South & East Elevations), it is apparent that the design is actually not that symmetrical. Which is not necessarily a bad thing in general, but in this case for my tastes the appearance of randomly placed blocks is not aesthetically pleasing. While I concede that it probably requires more skill to pull off this look while maintaining functionality and a good relationship to its surroundings, to me the overall appearance of the final product is a fail. Again, reminding me of a child's building block project, or in some ways (especially the black add-on) a circuit board.

That said, I am appreciative that it is not a bland glass face, as you've pointed out.

But that's for my tastes. I am actually glad that so many are pleased with the appearance of it, as the opinions of the masses are far more important than the opinion of an individual (me), when it comes to the appeal of a structure in such a visible location (SGR).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 7:58 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Actually I didn't go thru the linked document and didn't realise that it wasn't as symmetrical as the rendering made it seem. I'm not sure I'm quite so fond of it now.

The south elevation isn't bad, but I'm not sure the east elevation is really working for me.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 10:26 PM

To be fair, I should note that for most of us, the view that will matter will be that from streetside. So, therefore I'll try to hold my final opinion until it's built...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 12:02 PM

The Trillium owners are forming an opposition to this project. They had a meeting this past week and plan to work with the friends of Schmitville group. Some concerns are blocked sunlight, traffic and the canyon effect. They are saying many were told nothing over 6 stories would be built beside them.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 1:11 PM

Figures.... People stupid enough to believe that "nothing over 6 stories will be built in a busy downtown next to you".. Nice elitist attitude. Thankfully the city has a history of quashing that argument.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 5:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
Figures.... People stupid enough to believe that "nothing over 6 stories will be built in a busy downtown next to you".. Nice elitist attitude. Thankfully the city has a history of quashing that argument.
There's also a bit of irony here in that they're living in an even taller building that other people opposed when it was first presented.

In any case if HRM by Design allows for this then the height isn't really debatable and it's been public knowledge for a while.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 6:23 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There's also a bit of irony here in that they're living in an even taller building that other people opposed when it was first presented.

In any case if HRM by Design allows for this then the height isn't really debatable and it's been public knowledge for a while.
Indeed! The most effective way for them to have prevented downtown from becoming too tall would have been to boycott the Trillium development and find homes elsewhere. If no one had been willing to buy the condos, I'm sure it would have been downgraded or cancelled.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The Trillium owners are forming an opposition to this project. They had a meeting this past week and plan to work with the friends of Schmitville group. Some concerns are blocked sunlight, traffic and the canyon effect. They are saying many were told nothing over 6 stories would be built beside them.
That makes no sense. WM Fares owns the Trillium and is proposing this development.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
That makes no sense. WM Fares owns the Trillium and is proposing this development.
Individual owners of the condo's not the building itself.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Individual owners of the condo's not the building itself.

I have heard stories that many of the owners of units in the Trillium are not happy campers. Noise, rental units where they expected owners, stagnant resale. Don't know how true any of it is but this opposition doesn't really surprise me.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I have heard stories that many of the owners of units in the Trillium are not happy campers. Noise, rental units where they expected owners, stagnant resale. Don't know how true any of it is but this opposition doesn't really surprise me.
Wouldn't surprise me, I'd wager that many of the people (not all of course) have not lived in a city for a while and are coming from the suburbs to their downsized retirement condo. I'm sure many people expect their condo to be just as quiet as their home.

Also from what I've read it seems like it will take a few years to even break even when buying a new home/condo after all the costs associated with it and people don't want to pay the "new" price right away if someone has previously lived in it. I think that many of the complaints are entitled people with un-realistic expectations of what living in a condo is like.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me, I'd wager that many of the people (not all of course) have not lived in a city for a while and are coming from the suburbs to their downsized retirement condo. I'm sure many people expect their condo to be just as quiet as their home.

Also from what I've read it seems like it will take a few years to even break even when buying a new home/condo after all the costs associated with it and people don't want to pay the "new" price right away if someone has previously lived in it. I think that many of the complaints are entitled people with un-realistic expectations of what living in a condo is like.
If that's true, I have a very hard time feeling empathy for anyone complaining that their downtown multi-unit building has (gasp!) some renters in it.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 4:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
If that's true, I have a very hard time feeling empathy for anyone complaining that their downtown multi-unit building has (gasp!) some renters in it.
My impression is that basically every condo everywhere has some number of people complaining about renters and noise. This includes people who move to big condo developments in busy parts of large cities. In this development there are constant complaints from people who basically seem to want to live in a multi-unit building in the city but never actually experience any impact from their neighbours whatsoever. It's completely unrealistic.

On top of this you have the people who are, say, schizophrenic and hear noises that don't exist, the paranoid people (we had a guy who literally keeps bizarre logs of his daily spying activities, types them up, and regularly emails them to the strata council), and people who are really complaining because they are prejudiced against their neighbours in some way.

My condo's annual meeting is coming up and, as they do every year, they are trying to ban rentals (which would be grandfathered for the existing property owners so would take a long time to have any impact) and ban smoking *inside* the units, which may not even be legal or enforceable. Most people who suggest these things have no idea that condos can't pass whatever bylaws they feel like.

For neighbouring development what I've mostly seen is that people get information from sellers or hear rumours from neighbours. Sellers are obviously a bad source for this type of information. I guess cities could be better about publishing and following plans so buyer can make informed decisions, but plans can change. People should understand that, unless they own all the land they can see out their window, they are not entitled to any views.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Fares built it, but technically now the Condo Corp made up of the individual unit owners own it. I think Fares kept the retail units and I assume still own some residential units for rent until they can be slowly sold.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 10:27 PM

Darn, it's bad enough that those suburban people lived in the suburbs, now they are coming downtown and complaining about urban living! Damn them! (Note: that was sarcasm)

The whole way we humans twist things and make up stories based on our own prejudices is humourous at least and a little scary in the worst cases. How do we know what noise these people are complaining about or what their backgrounds are?

My experience with condos are that they are usually better sound insulated than a comparable (albeit cheaper) rental apartment. If I were to buy an expensive condo I have an expectation that I'm not going to hear everything my adjoining neighbours are doing (use your imagination). I don't know if that's the type of noise they are complaining about, but I would consider that valid. If it's street noise or late night partying noise, then tough, as they should have done the research and known what that area of town is like. But, I don't know so I won't assume.

Views are an interesting topic here. When it comes to restricting height downtown, then we hate views. When it comes to a really tall building that we'd like to live in, then views are great. When it comes to a "dirty suburbanite" complaining about potential blocked views around them then they are being silly.

I think we all would enjoy a nice view from our high condo unit, and would all likely be disappointed if they invested their life's savings or committed to 25 years of monthly payments to a place with a view only to have it taken away. However, if it means that a building we want to see built has hurdles to cross, then they don't have a right to be upset.

Always an interesting read, this board.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 1:01 AM

Quote:

The first sentence is nonsense.
The owners at the Trillium are well heeled, well known, and have downsized from large homes on the peninsula. - I have a list of the owners. If purchasers were foolish enough to believe the sales pitch that a smaller building would be their neighbour then they must have forgotten the golden rule - "Never believe the sales agent". You don't need a high IQ to realise that the adjacent 2 storey properties would eventually be razed to build another high rise condo/apartment building.
As for units being rental, it is obvious that some buyers never asked enough questions.
Buy in haste, repent at leisure.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 4:09 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I think we all would enjoy a nice view from our high condo unit, and would all likely be disappointed if they invested their life's savings or committed to 25 years of monthly payments to a place with a view only to have it taken away. However, if it means that a building we want to see built has hurdles to cross, then they don't have a right to be upset.

Always an interesting read, this board.
I don't think it's so much that they don't have a right to be upset as much as that they don't have a legitimate right to demand that the outside world cater to their emotions. If someone saves up for 5 years for a dream vacation that they book 6 months in advance and it rains the entire time, they have a right to be disappointed even though they know that there's no guarantee of fine weather, even in an area where fine weather is common.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I don't think it's so much that they don't have a right to be upset as much as that they don't have a legitimate right to demand that the outside world cater to their emotions. If someone saves up for 5 years for a dream vacation that they book 6 months in advance and it rains the entire time, they have a right to be disappointed even though they know that there's no guarantee of fine weather, even in an area where fine weather is common.
Absolutely agree. Therefore it's understandable that people about to lose their view would stage some sort of protest to see if they can prevent the loss. They are not entitled to it, but I can at least empathize with them to a degree, even if their motives seem a little selfish to the rest of us.

That said, it would never be a good idea to buy a condo based on assumptions. If a view is important to you, then research the area and see potentials for development. In this case, buy on the Victoria Park side or one of the higher units.

I've noticed that often when developers are doing multiple buildings in the same area next to a desirable view, they will do the ones further back, presumably so that potential buyers will think they are getting a magnificent view, then a year or so down the road, they build another one in front of it...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 12:56 PM

And so begins CBC's usual campaign against any new development:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ment-1.3287182

Quote:
People who live near a proposed development in south-end Halifax are banding together to voice their opposition to the plan.

WM Fares Group wants to construct a 17-storey building on Brenton Street, a one-way street off Spring Garden Road.

The development would butt right up against the back of another WM Fares building, the Trillium on South Park Street.

"We were quite shocked at the size of the building — 170 units," said Debbie Toogood, who lives in the Trillium.

"We're 84 in our building, which is quite a large building."

Debbie Toogood, who lives in the Trillium building, says the 170-unit structure proposed for the Brenton Street area is too big.

The proposed "Brenton Place" would use almost 90 percent of the lot, putting the building right to the sidewalk along the street and right up to the property line in some spots.

Those who live across the street in the Charterhouse Condos are worried about the loss of sunshine from the shadows the development will cast.

They are also concerned about the parking situation. The new building only plans to have 92 parking spaces.

"We already have our front door blocked all the time," said Caroline Caskey, a condo owner in Charterhouse.

"[The street] is very narrow, and in fact, last winter with all that snow, it was one of the last ones to be plowed."

Homeowners in the adjacent neighbourhood of Schmidtville are also upset.

The Friends of Schmidtville group are now trying to get a heritage district designation for the area, bordered by Clyde Street, Wright Avenue, South Park and Queen streets..

"They're eating away at the edges of Schmidtville," said Larry Haiven, a member of the Schmidtville group.

"It's already half the size what it was historically and the idea is to just deteriorate the ambience of the place. It's greed gone mad."

Schmidtville proponents think the Brenton Street development should be put on hold until the heritage designation for the neighbourhood is completed.

That could take up to a year.

WM Fares has a pre-application for Brenton Place before the city's design review committee.

That's an informal stage of the process. Once a formal application is made, the committee can accept the proposal, approve it with conditions, or reject it.

Decisions of the design review committee can be appealed to regional council.

Whatchagonnado?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
And so begins CBC's usual campaign against any new development:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ment-1.3287182

Whatchagonnado?
Sit back and watch, everyone gets a say, and then it gets built. Happens every time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth