HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] Brenton Suites (1452 Brenton) | 49 m | 17 fl | Completed

WM Fares is proposing a new residential building for 1448-68 Brenton Street called Brenton Place.

Renderings (full report is here: http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...alDrawings.pdf):

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:01 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Oh man is that beautiful!! But are we really that dense and low on empty lots that we're at the tearing shit down phase?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Oh man is that beautiful!! But are we really that dense and low on empty lots that we're at the tearing shit down phase?
We're not THAT low on empty lots, but I still think this is a worthwhile addition to the area. SGR is going to be our modern retail/shopping/resto/entertainment district, with some high end and dense residential.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 7:46 AM
Honored Member

It looks fantastic.

I am a big fan of this one since it is so unique and it looks good also. I think it is on the same uniqueness scale as the new Central Library.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 11:30 AM

The Schmidtville nimbys will go berserk over this one.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 12:01 PM

What?? tear down a few slums with character to build a beautiful new building?
Where will those few business' go and their rents might go up?
Where will the mice and rats live?
And it is definitely not 'human scale', (2 stories tall).

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:36 PM

OK, I'll bite. There are some nice well-kept small wooden buildings on that stretch, their destruction will be a loss.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:46 PM

Would have loved to have seen this one on the empty lot on queen street next to the library, it would have been a perfect addition. It looks amazing but I really dont tjink Breton street needs tjis added retail space

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:16 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I like this one, hopefully it gets approved and built. We need higher buildings to really densify the area (and the city too).

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:04 PM
hi

Looks awesome!

As far as I can tell, there are four nice old wooden houses on that stretch, and from the rendering it looks like only three of them will be torn down (moved?), so I think it's quite a good trade-off for what we're getting.

I really do love these old houses, but it seems like Halifax has a fair amount, and this building will be so much more appropriate / beneficial to the SGR area.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:10 PM
hi

Interestingly, this falls inside a side section of Schmidtville.

(http://shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/schmidtville/photos/1684)

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:12 PM

It looks pretty good and I'm excited about the continuing densification of this district, but I agree with the sentiment that it would be nice to be rid of all the vacant lots before demolishing existing buildings. Though the site is pretty underused at present (giant parking lot in the rear) and I suppose it was only a matter of time.

It would be nice if this building and Trillium could the same parking ramp rather than having two right next to each other (i.e. excavate and punch a hole at the B1 level). It would be less disruptive for pedestrians and free up a bit of additional space for more retail and parking.

Otherwise design-wise it looks great. I love that it's built right up to the street line with continuous shop frontage. I can't take that for granted living in Hong Kong - most new development here fronts the street with blank walls, ventilation grilles, utility rooms - and it really kills the street life.

Last edited by alps; Oct 2, 2015 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The Schmidtville nimbys will go berserk over this one.
I'm sure they will... I also think the boundary proposed for Schmidtville probably jogs up Brenton as a way to try and make a pre-emptive strike against such a proposal.

My opinion is that Schmidtville can/should stay low rise, but this site is across the street from Schmidtville and really belongs more to Spring Garden Rd. district.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:52 PM

Basic math mistake in the proposal, there are 170 units, The data table shows 39 units are 1BR +Den, the column lists only 34.
The old rule was 'Check, check again and have another person make a 3rd check' or as a carpenter would say - "Measure twice, cut once".
Next door at The Trillium there remains 9 unsold units.
Too expensive for me but it looks nice.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Looks awesome!

As far as I can tell, there are four nice old wooden houses on that stretch, and from the rendering it looks like only three of them will be torn down (moved?), so I think it's quite a good trade-off for what we're getting.

I really do love these old houses, but it seems like Halifax has a fair amount, and this building will be so much more appropriate / beneficial to the SGR area.
There is also the proposal for a large building between Brenton and South Park, so all those wooden buildings on Brenton are proposed to be demolished.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:02 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Overall I'd say the project is a net positive. Those houses may be nice (definitely not slums or anything) but the density is too low for downtown. My only problem with it is that there are other sites that need the density more. The lot behind the library as the perfect example.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Unfortunately it is hard to coordinate development so that it only happens on empty lots. I'm pretty sure the lot behind the library is owned by Dalhousie and earmarked for development, for example. Developers can only buy what's available and can only develop what they own. The city needs a lot more development than there are perfect proposals so some of the imperfect ones need to move forward too. This one is pretty good.

I think preserving the intact residential area south of Clyde is a nice compromise. North of Clyde is really downtown at this point. It's a high-density area.

It's exciting to think of what Spring Garden will look like if and when all of these developments are completed. It will have a high enough population density and large enough base to support a lot of foot traffic and interesting businesses. It will be like the kind of neighbourhood you'd typically see in a much larger North American city, and it'll be the only one of its kind in the region.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 8:47 PM

The fact that this is a lot of retail makes for a nice stroll down Brenton and back up South Park, great for shopping. One will not have to walk down South Park and stop and go back the same route. The complete square is much more conducive to attract people.
That is part of the problem with Park Lane; it does not go anywhere.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:38 PM
hi

I wonder if some of the glass will have a pale yellow tint, or if they're just depicting the lighting. I hope it's the former; that would really be a unique feature.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:40 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
The fact that this is a lot of retail makes for a nice stroll down Brenton and back up South Park, great for shopping. One will not have to walk down South Park and stop and go back the same route. The complete square is much more conducive to attract people.
That is part of the problem with Park Lane; it does not go anywhere.
I never did like Park Lane, the best thing they could do is completely redo it. The second level never could support stores. I don't have the solution, but I am sure someone could do a good job there. It ideally would need and anchor at the back of the mall to draw in shoppers and attract stores. Maybe making the back of the mall into a two level store and therefore attract an anchor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth