HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 11:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This crane appeared to be a bit jury rigged too.
What looked like quite an old crane was originally put up and then after a month or two the top half was removed but the original tower sections were left and a newer top was added.

Total speculation, but my guess is it had to do with the newer top not being balanced properly on the old section for this type of weather.
Bad track record with cranes on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
A photo today of the partially replaced crane. The mast was reused, just the top was swapped out.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:56 AM

Was this the same crane that had the electrical fire a few months ago?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Yep

Edit: my mistake. It was indeed per KPH06's reply below.

Last edited by hoser111; Sep 10, 2019 at 1:32 PM. Reason: wrong answer

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 2:51 AM

Quote:
No, that crane was on the “Sister (Margaretta)” site lot nearby.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:50 AM

HRFE executes evacuation order for properties near collapsed construction crane

Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency (HRFE) Chief Ken Stuebing this evening exercised his authority to execute an evacuation order on several properties in the vicinity of South Park Street.

The evacuation order is necessary to protect the safety of residents living near a construction crane that collapsed during Hurricane Dorian.

Fire officials delivered evacuation order notices to the following civic addresses this evening:

1445 South Park St., units 1306, 1206, 1105, 1005, 905, 805, 705, 605, 505, and 405
1459, 1463, 1477, and 1491 South Park St.
5688 and 5690 Spring Garden Rd.
The evacuation order is being issued for reasons of protecting the health, safety, and welfare of occupants in the above noted properties, and to remove them from present and imminent danger.

This decision follows advice received at a meeting this afternoon with structural engineers, as well as representatives from the Department of Labour & Advanced Education, Halifax Regional Police, Transportation & Public Works, and the associated property owners.

The evacuation order commences immediately and will continue until the situation can be stabilized and risk to residents can be mitigated.

HRFE will be meeting with partner agencies to provide input on the plan for safe removal of the crane.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:12 PM

Yes, the corner of the Trillium has been clipped. I was trying to see where the concrete weights from the crane came down on, but I cannot spot them. The top of the South Park Lofts I guess?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
Yes, the corner of the Trillium has been clipped. I was trying to see where the concrete weights from the crane came down on, but I cannot spot them. The top of the South Park Lofts I guess?
IIRC they ended up on South Park Street, probably already taken away.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
IIRC they ended up on South Park Street, probably already taken away.
Yes, in the video you can see it detach from the crane during the downswing and falling below. Crazy.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It'll be interesting to see what the structural reports are like for the building. Did the crane just cause damage to the outer concrete or is there some deeper structural damage? Hopefully it is superficial. I also wonder if this will be stuck in insurance hell for years or if it'll be cleaned up and back to normal in a few weeks.

It seriously sucks for the people nearby who had to evacuate. There's also a law office below that is off limits because the crane is dangling over it. You wouldn't want to go anywhere near that area. It's going to be tricky to remove the crane and who knows what building chunks are going to fall off in the process.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It'll be interesting to see what the structural reports are like for the building. Did the crane just cause damage to the outer concrete or is there some deeper structural damage? Hopefully it is superficial. I also wonder if this will be stuck in insurance hell for years or if it'll be cleaned up and back to normal in a few weeks.

It seriously sucks for the people nearby who had to evacuate. There's also a law office below that is off limits because the crane is dangling over it. You wouldn't want to go anywhere near that area. It's going to be tricky to remove the crane and who knows what building chunks are going to fall off in the process.
I had the same thought. Wouldn't the building need a full structural assessment now? The crane appeared to crush part of the floor it struck, and I'm sure the grainy, far-away video doesn't do justice to the violence of the blow and whatever effect it had on the rest of the structure.

Presumably this can't drag on in insurance limbo forever, since there's a densely built city block that will be paralyzed until things move forward, with a closed street, evacuated residents and businesses, etc. Most of Victoria Park is shut down, I think. As the rest of the storm cleanup returns the city to normal this week, this site is going to stick out all the more.

But even after the crane comes down, what? Worst-case scenario is they have to tear down the building and start again. Add that to the liability costs stemming from residential displacement, business closures, etc., and this is going to be a complete financial disaster for...someone.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 1:19 AM

Seems to me the liability is easy to pin on whomever supplied and operated the crane. Clearly they were negligent since cranes do not typically come down even in conditions like these.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Seems to me the liability is easy to pin on whomever supplied and operated the crane. Clearly they were negligent since cranes do not typically come down even in conditions like these.
Any idea who is doing the formwork on that site? Fares is the developer IIRC.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:07 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Any idea who is doing the formwork on that site? Fares is the developer IIRC.
LEAD is doing the formwork and owns the crane.

curiously it looks as though a newer model Pontain Crane was attached to a much older tower. there is an adapter piece, and earlier in the thread someone mentioned the top of the crane had been switched out a while ago. as the new unit is a flat top, whereas the old had stays, i suspect the whole thing was top heavy.

See my twitter thread here:https://twitter.com/builtHFX/status/1171717278464974850

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:06 PM

FWIW, when it comes to the speculation on point of failure, the crane is currently only held at the base by a single bolt. This is one of the main reasons for the evacuation, since there's a concern that it could fail at any time.

I haven't been able to find it in any of the online reports, but CBC News reported it the morning of the evacuation with a shot of the crane base.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 6:02 AM

Work to remove the crane is due to start Friday, according to Global or CTV, I don't remember which. It could take two weeks to complete.

Last edited by pblaauw; Sep 13, 2019 at 6:25 AM. Reason: WRONG DAY

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Work to remove the crane is due to start Friday, according to Global or CTV, I don't remember which. It could take two weeks to complete.
Now they're saying Monday...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Now they're saying Monday...
It's quite the job, I'd rather they not rush it and cause any more damage. Apparently they are pinning the crane to the building it and cutting it up into pieces to remove it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 7:21 PM

Looks like the businesses affected by this crane collapse are starting to suffer:

https://twitter.com/Humani_TCafe/sta...42162062487552

Quote:
You may or may not know, that there are three businesses who have allowed to open their doors during the crane accident and South Park st closure.

That would be us, @twiggzhalifax, and Fawcett’s Jewellers. While we’ve been open, Humani-T has only been able to do a quarter of its regular daily sales, and that’s because people can only access us through Brenton St.

This means a lot of things: staff are not getting hours, and it’s going to be very hard for us to survive this ‘storm’ if it continues.

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Sep 17, 2019 at 7:48 PM. Reason: Added quotes

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 7:46 PM

Evacuated residents are likewise in a tough spot:

‘I just want to be in the loop’: Evacuees left in the dark over crane removal progress

Quote:
"We want updates on the crane situation, how long it's going to take to get it down," he said.

"We need those estimates, we need that information so we can kind of plan our lives accordingly."

Since being evacuated the pair has moved around a few times, from a relatives place, to a hotel, to an Airbnb.

"Everything is just kind of topsy-turvy right now," said Bateman. "We've had to spend so much money compared to what we'd usually be spending."

Residents forced out of their homes because of the crane are now receiving some support from property management company WM Fares, which owns the site where the crane was being used. The company is reimbursing people for their accommodations.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:14 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ency-1.5288716

Quote:
Chuck Porter, the minister responsible for the province's Emergency Management Office, said the declaration was required so the site is cleared in the fastest and safest way possible.

"By doing this, it allows the province to step in to oversee the crane's safe removal," Porter said at a press conference on Wednesday afternoon. "We're doing this so we can do this in a more timely manner."
Quote:
Kousoulis said part of the delay in the crane removal was who would be liable if any further damage was caused to the building.

"And at this point, declaring the state of emergency moves indemnity onto the province and away from those two organizations," he said.

Kousoulis said "essentially, we're the insurance company for those two organizations."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth