HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 4:00 AM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 1:30 PM

Update from yesterday:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 6:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This one forms a nice streetwall with the Trillium. Too bad the Trillium podium is so short. It should have been 4-6 floors. The upper floors of the Trillium are also looking pretty dated now. It's a transitional building between the red brick and precast of the 90's and the glass of the 2010's.

I wonder how likely it is that new podiums will be built around old tower-in-the-park buildings like Park Vic, Summer Gardens, or that diagonal one along Spring Garden Road. If those three had nice podiums it would make a huge difference to the area. Building those podiums wouldn't necessarily be a net loss for residents either; the ground floor amenities could go onto the rooftops. The city should probably be pushing for this.

The path west along Spring Garden Road and south along South Park is a natural route for commercial growth. Hopefully it's not stopped by the big tower setbacks.

Source

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 11:07 PM

Nice pic!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 10:00 PM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:25 PM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:37 PM

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 1:24 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Acts as a great 'step down', but I'd like to see that whole corner lot developed into something iconic (the beergarden, Eastlink store and house in that picture).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Acts as a great 'step down', but I'd like to see that whole corner lot developed into something iconic (the beergarden, Eastlink store and house in that picture).
I think that house is a great bit of character; would be nice for it to stick around amid the newer buildings. Ditto the beer garden. It does a lot more for neighbourhood character and streetlife than any building could.

Agree about the Eastlink building though--that's a waste of space at this point.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I think that house is a great bit of character; would be nice for it to stick around amid the newer buildings. Ditto the beer garden. It does a lot more for neighbourhood character and streetlife than any building could.

Agree about the Eastlink building though--that's a waste of space at this point.
I agree, the beer garden adds a lot to the area more than a buliding would on this corner.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 2:32 AM

X2

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:48 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post

Oh, it totally does. The house is a bit awkward... its nice, but it could be moved as an infill somewhere in "Schmidtville"?

I love the beer garden... it would be cool if it was somehow able to be included in the design of a building. Imagine it had an open atrium over top and a building on the eastlink building / lot of the house.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:38 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 10:51 PM

Just the mechanical penthouse left on this one and then I assume they will move onto the Brenton building.

20190428_153148 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20190428_152850 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20190428_152421 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 8:18 PM

A crane fell on this building https://www.instagram.com/p/B2H21naHsDh/

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 8:32 PM
hi

Looks like the crane from Brenton Suites. Video here: https://twitter.com/i/status/1170430734831706114

Scary stuff, hope no one was hurt.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Looks like the crane from Brenton Suites. Video here: https://twitter.com/i/status/1170430734831706114

Scary stuff, hope no one was hurt.
Really glad nobody was hurt. What a video, must of been scary living in the Trillium. Wonder what the future of this building is now? Always been a fan of this one, hopefully there is no structural damage.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:18 PM

Watching the video again, and having driven by the site yesterday, I was reminded of the scale of this failure and how it could have been so much worse. It seems almost miraculous that the crane folded completely over the unoccupied new construction, and that nobody was walking or driving by at the time.

If it had fallen just a few degrees to the south, it's quite possible there would have been major property damage and likely injuries or possibly even death to some residents of the Trillium. Imagine that crane smashing through apartment windows - very chilling indeed. In the video, it looks like it clipped the corner of the Trillium as it was coming down. Just imagining if it had wrapped over the top of the trillium with the horizontal pieces smacking against the west side of the building as they folded...

It will be interested to hear what the investigation will reveal. Of all the cranes in the Halifax region, to my knowledge this is the only one that failed, indicating that something was not right in this case.

Hopefully damage to the South Park Lofts building isn't such that large portions have to be replaced. It was good to see the progress on this one as it seemed to be coming along quite well.

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Sep 9, 2019 at 4:35 PM. Reason: added text

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:33 PM

Looks like it could be a few days to clear the downed crane:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5876191/h...-downed-crane/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 9:28 PM

This crane appeared to be a bit jury rigged too.
What looked like quite an old crane was originally put up and then after a month or two the top half was removed but the original tower sections were left and a newer top was added.

Total speculation, but my guess is it had to do with the newer top not being balanced properly on the old section for this type of weather.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth