HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 3:54 PM

[Halifax] The Crane on South Park | 37 m | 11 fl | Completed

New 11 storey proposal from Geoff Keddy Architect and Associates for 1469-1473 South Park St and 1474 Brenton. Link to the proposal here - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...entonPlans.pdf

Here is a picture Brett Ruskin shared on Facebook.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 4:03 PM

It apparently is going without exterior walls to save money and make it more affordable.

Last edited by Keith P.; Jun 6, 2015 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 4:41 PM

Was really hopping whatever went in this spot would wrap around to the vacant spot on spring garden around the corner that burnt down.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 5:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I like the narrow footprint.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 6:05 PM

I like the narrow footprint too. Proves in the local context that developers needn't assemble huge parcels of land and knock a whole bunch of stuff down just to create one new building.

(I also like the design a lot, though a non-transparent rendering would be nice.)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 7:24 PM

So we lose another heritage house? That will leave one lone heritage house on both sides of those two blocks of South Park Street. Pretty sad.
1474 Brenton is also a nice old building, with some nice features.

Last edited by JET; Jun 6, 2015 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
So we lose another heritage house? That will leave one lone heritage house on both sides of those two blocks of South Park Street. Pretty sad.
I've been inside them both they are nothing special, I wouldn't say anything is heritage about them

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 8:07 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Agreed. We have little respect for good architecture in this town. We need to build around our built heritage not over it. We can't even paint a crosswalk so how can we save heritage? For all of the fanfare about the Trillium it's just a very ordinary building that replaced great architecture.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 8:16 PM

you guys are kidding right, I love old home in Halifax but these ones are poop. When was the last time you even saw them?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 8:26 PM

I don't think they're "poop"; in fact, I think it'd be too bad to lose them. But given the area and the quality of the potential replacement, I think it's an okay trade-off. To give a sense of where I draw the line, even though this looks like a really nice project, I'd oppose this if it were replacing the BMO building down the street (still anxiously awaiting those plans.)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
you guys are kidding right, I love old home in Halifax but these ones are poop. When was the last time you even saw them?
I have witnessed the steady decline of the looks of the South Park buildings, it is sadly what happens with a lot of student housing, most of that is a cosmetic fix. The bones are probably fine. There is nothing wrong with how the Brenton Street property looks, it has been maintained, and has some nice details.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It apparently is going without exterior walls to save money and make it more affordable.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
Was really hopping whatever went in this spot would wrap around to the vacant spot on spring garden around the corner that burnt down.
Good thought. Was hoping so too. I assume that eventually somebody will put something in there..

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I don't think they're "poop"; in fact, I think it'd be too bad to lose them. But given the area and the quality of the potential replacement, I think it's an okay trade-off. To give a sense of where I draw the line, even though this looks like a really nice project, I'd oppose this if it were replacing the BMO building down the street (still anxiously awaiting those plans.)
This is my thinking too. I don't like heritage houses/buildings unnecessarily turfed. But this is a very nice looking development in a perfect location to further increase the intense density of this area. I like it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 10:30 PM

So no underground parking for this one? odd

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 3:22 AM

On the drawings there are 2 levels of underground parking.....

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 10:08 AM

Having underground parking in this development is great; more parking around SGR is a winner, so long as its publicly accessible.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 1:04 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
New 11 storey proposal from Geoff Keddy Architect and Associates for 1469-1473 South Park St and 1474 Brenton. Link to the proposal here - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...entonPlans.pdf

This is an interesting proposal. There will be few windows on floors 1 - 5 by necessity. The large side walls will have to be blank to permit adjacent development and to meet the fire code (or so I believe, based on posts by Empire for other threads). The upper floors, 6-10, are set back and will have some side windows.

The lack of windows creates some interesting floor layouts and many of the apartments won't have windows in the bedrooms. Maybe they could have exterior cameras and TV screens, that would be interesting.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 11:58 PM

This is definitely different then what Halifax is used to but I think it has the potential to be great. Spring Garden needs high-density mixed-use buildings so this hits that target. Locating the parking access to Brenton is a good call to avoid conflicts on South Park which is very busy with pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles. The height should help hide The Trillium and the office building's huge blank wall.

- DJ

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The lack of windows creates some interesting floor layouts and many of the apartments won't have windows in the bedrooms. Maybe they could have exterior cameras and TV screens, that would be interesting.
I'm confused by this. I thought a window (secondary egress) in a bedroom was a requirement by code?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth