HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think the HT is actually more of a homeowners' club, with a bit of occasional advocacy for some heritage buildings. They are more or less a BANANA group that is looking for zero growth in the urban core.

What annoys me about them is that they conflate heritage protection and NIMBYism. Empty gravel lots in the North End are not heritage assets. It would be better if there were another heritage group or if the Heritage Trust had a clearer mandate covering only architecture and public spaces.
bang on.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 7:36 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
bang on.
Yep, nailed it. HT is a lobby... its all about protecting their member's assets and has nothing to do with heritage.

They've saved one, poor example of heritage (the Morris house).

If they don't save those brick buildings on SGR, they might as well pack it in.

We need a real heritage group that is more concerned with preserving what exists that what is going to be built.

I bet they look at his forum... but they don't do shit! Weak, simply weak.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post

I bet they don't; most of their members are too old to be internet savvy

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Yep, nailed it. HT is a lobby... its all about protecting their member's assets and has nothing to do with heritage.

They've saved one, poor example of heritage (the Morris house).

If they don't save those brick buildings on SGR, they might as well pack it in.

We need a real heritage group that is more concerned with preserving what exists that what is going to be built.

Yeah, I think the people currently running the Heritage Trust only use heritage as a superficial veneer for their *real* agenda, which is a NIMBY / BANANA anti-development bent. They throw on their silly HT costumes every once and a while when its convenient and they can use it for their own ends. Otherwise, they're happy to oppose development and change downtown by any means necessary. The same people who are HT are also Save the View, are also Friends of Halifax Commons, are also anti-Nova; etc, etc, etc. They oppose anything that would bring more people downtown. They oppose any sort of change. Oppose anything that will build the city's economic fortunes. Oppose anything that would let the downtown grow and prosper.

Someone should start a competing Heritage group that calls them out for their BS and then actually works with developers and city planners for better development outcomes. And Heritage Trust gets stripped of its status, and influence, as it should be.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 4:57 PM

Good news for this project.
The crappy auto shop at the corner of Maynard & Roberts was sold on June 30 2015. I presume Fares bought it to expand the proposed building and clear out an eyesore which would have detracted from the appeal of the condos/apartments.
Sale price on PVSC is given as $603,750 and Viewpoint claims $525,000 after 40 days on the market and listed at $515,000.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:15 PM

This project has been revived. The garage next door was sold but it was renovated into a furniture store and is not owned by the applicants therefore it is NOT part of this project. The project is essentially the same as it was last year and is now going forward towards a public hearing at Halifax & West Community Council.

http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/west/...taffReport.pdf

- DJ

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 10:59 PM

This came to Council today and to the surprise of no one Watts tried to torpedo it again using the smokescreen of the Centre Plan as a reason to defer moving it forward. This would have meant perhaps a 2-year delay and would also have set a precedent for not allowing any other projects to proceed either until that tome is approved. Fortunately she was the only one to vote that way, and everyone else was against her. So it moves on to the next step, over 2 years in now.

Thank god she is stepping down after the election.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 11:03 PM

http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax...c-hearing.html

Quote:
A group of activists that lives in the area – the Willow Tree Group – opposes the development on the basis that it’s “out of scale” and “of uninteresting urban design and form,”
Wow. Just wow. It is SO UNINTERESTING it will be destroying the very fabric of this lovely historic neighbourhood, teeming with rundown warehouses and auto bodyshops. How dare you!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:36 AM

I'm surprised they didn't call themselves Friends of Maynard Street or something like that. Will they ever go away? Build it and such.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 9:49 PM

This site is now fenced off and excavation has begun. I live a block away so I'll keep close tabs on this. I didn't even know it was approved.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

- DJ

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This site is now fenced off and excavation has begun. I live a block away so I'll keep close tabs on this. I didn't even know it was approved.
Nor did I. But it's understandable; this was grinding through the gears of the HRM planning bureaucracy for over 4 years. Seriously, does anyone think that sort of timeline - not at all uncommon, and shorter than a number of other proposals - is in any way reasonable? What can be done to free things up?

Two other points:
- It's a good thing the dearly departed Watts' idea to freeze this and all other proposals until the much-vaunted Centre Plan was approved, got defeated when she put a motion to that effect forward at Council THREE YEARS ago. Everything would have been locked down. BTW I hear Mason is bragging that Centre Plan will start getting approved at Council on April 8, but Council has yet to see it, so I expect it will not get approved any time soon. It seems like it is on life support and fading fast.

- Doesn't this look a lot like the recently completed Lotus Point Living in Dartmouth, aside from the color/type of cladding finishes? Is this the Highfield Park Special of the current decade? And is this what one gets when a city has either planning decrees limiting heights and densities, or the equivalent thereof via the type of development agreements that staff and Council are willing to approve?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 2:08 PM

Is there a rendering to refer to? Not that that seems to make any difference to what is actually built these days.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Is there a rendering to refer to? Not that that seems to make any difference to what is actually built these days.
Top of the page. HERE IS THE LINK TO THE POST if scrolling is too onerous.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:15 PM

That rendering doesn't seem to be available on their website anymore, unless you can find it for me, Keith...

It seems like a curious 'mystery project', unless I'm missing something here...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 10:03 PM

There are two renderings for this project that I have seen. The first is the one posted above from W.M. Fares the other is from Root Architecture

- DJ

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Top of the page. HERE IS THE LINK TO THE POST if scrolling is too onerous.
Ta, I scrolled and scrolled, until my poor hand could scroll no more, onerous it was indeed.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 8:23 PM

Blasting begins next week. It'll be a nice additon to the normal sounds at my place of ambulances, fire trucks, police, medivac helicopter, screaming kids, and the occassional firework/gunshot. Oh and I can't forgot in the winter the loudspeaker at the Oval, and in the summer the ever present bagpipes.

Also the construction permit has been issued. It is listed as $5.2 million and 52 units.

BTW I am fully in support of this project and am okay with the construction impacts and the partial loss of the view from my place in return for the density and investment this building is adding to the neighbourhood.

- DJ

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Here is a rendering from the W.M Fares Group website - http://www.wmfares.com/

The massing looks good. However, I don't like the charcoal coloured corrugated metal on the upper floors. I think that corrugated metal should be a banned exterior cladding. Even vinyl siding looks better than corrugated metal in my opinion.

Does anyone know where the grassy park ringed by mature trees is supposed to be? LOL. This rendering is from a different neighbourhood.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Here is a rendering from the W.M Fares Group website - http://www.wmfares.com/

The massing looks good. However, I don't like the charcoal coloured corrugated metal on the upper floors. I think that corrugated metal should be a banned exterior cladding. Even vinyl siding looks better than corrugated metal in my opinion.

Does anyone know where the grassy park ringed by mature trees is supposed to be? LOL. This rendering is from a different neighbourhood.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 6:16 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Looks like that's the view along Roberts. So the translucent grey box is Workshop & Co and the park is a parking lot.

Not sure who owns the parking lot but it seems like a good development site. In the long run I hope that a lot of the nicer wooden buildings along Agricola are preserved and more commercial conversions happen while the empty lots on the side streets are built up with new buildings like the Roberts and Maynard project. If a few thousand people move into the area, Agricola might take on more of a bona fide commercial feel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth