HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 31, 2015, 5:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, it would be interesting to see some taller buildings in the middle of the city but outside of the ramparts-restricted area.

I think a few towers like this are more or less necessary for this part of town to work well, because there's so much open space, the existing neighbourhoods are fairly low density, and there are few opportunity sites to develop.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 7:01 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I actually feel that we're getting to the point of having too much open space in the area. So the highschool that was beside the QE2 has bitten the dust and now there is a new one where the Bell Rd. NSCC campus used to be, while the highschool space seems to be emply, except for some sort of community garden or something. Robie has long felt empty due to being fronted by hospital parking and a cemetery on one side, and now Bell rd also feels rather empty. This is not a huge city we're talking about, and for such a large part of the inner city to feel so... vacant... is kind of a turn off for me.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yeah, it would be interesting to see some taller buildings in the middle of the city but outside of the ramparts-restricted area.

I think a few towers like this are more or less necessary for this part of town to work well, because there's so much open space, the existing neighbourhoods are fairly low density, and there are few opportunity sites to develop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I actually feel that we're getting to the point of having too much open space in the area. So the highschool that was beside the QE2 has bitten the dust and now there is a new one where the Bell Rd. NSCC campus used to be, while the highschool space seems to be emply, except for some sort of community garden or something. Robie has long felt empty due to being fronted by hospital parking and a cemetery on one side, and now Bell rd also feels rather empty. This is not a huge city we're talking about, and for such a large part of the inner city to feel so... vacant... is kind of a turn off for me.
These are both good points. Hopefully the combination of this development plus the other one now going through its NIMBY feedback session a little further up, can help things.

I think the old high land needs to be developed too. While urban gardening is nice, it's right now a privilege for a few, that serves a few, and that is prime real estate that should and could be re-developed.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 9:59 PM

" I think the old high land needs to be developed too. While urban gardening is nice, it's right now a privilege for a few, that serves a few, and that is prime real estate that should and could be re-developed. "
It will be an expanded QE2 and the replacement of the VG - then the existing VG site will be developed.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 1:00 AM

I guess this thread should be renamed to reflect the apparent drop of the 12 story tower component.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 6:38 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post

Thanks for posting the renderings. This could turn out well if the materials used are decent quality. Hopefully they won't use any corrugated-metal-like metal panel, although composite aluminum panel looks ok.

I am worried about how they are mixing glass and other materials in a somewhat ad-hoc manner. I assume this is being done to break up the massing of the building but there is the potential that it could turn out bad.

The tower looks impressive, however, it is too wide for my liking. I don't have a problem with the height but I would prefer that it be slimmer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Thanks for posting the renderings. This could turn out well if the materials used are decent quality. Hopefully they won't use any corrugated-metal-like metal panel, although composite aluminum panel looks ok.

I am worried about how they are mixing glass and other materials in a somewhat ad-hoc manner. I assume this is being done to break up the massing of the building but there is the potential that it could turn out bad.

The tower looks impressive, however, it is too wide for my liking. I don't have a problem with the height but I would prefer that it be slimmer.
I believe they massed the tower this way, so it would cast a more narrow shadow onto the Commons.

I think more shade on the Commons would be a benefit.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:43 PM

There will be a public information meeting held for this proposal on September 17th at Kenneth Rowe Management Building (same place as the previous one).

- DJ

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 1:51 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I like what I see. Awesome location for this. This design looks like it's right at the sidewalks and too the corner. If the Roundabout is built at that location could it impact this design?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 10:48 PM

Updated renderings just released today:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynloncres1985 View Post
Updated renderings just released today:

Will be an impressive and stunning addition to the currently drab surroundings.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Will be an impressive and stunning addition to the currently drab surroundings.
Better and better looking. I was really unimpressed with the earliest renderings, but this looks excellent.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 2:30 AM

Dominant wind direction Dec - March inclusive is NW.
Robie at that location runs N by West.
The wind studies will be interesting.
Looks nice. Quite surprised that Armoyan hired Fares or is Fares just handling the application ?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Dominant wind direction Dec - March inclusive is NW.
Robie at that location runs N by West.
The wind studies will be interesting.
Looks nice. Quite surprised that Armoyan hired Fares or is Fares just handling the application ?
Allns was saying that Fares is handling the design and planning application process.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:12 AM
we built this city

Think of the children!!! I bet you know who will try to scuttle this.

Looks great though... that density will add alot to the Quinpool/Robie area.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 11:08 AM

Doesn't do a lot for me.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 11:54 AM

Wow!

Wow!
I really like the willow branches on the building - very creative.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 12:22 PM

Just what that corner needs, IMHO. Hopefully it will be built.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Think of the children!!! I bet you know who will try to scuttle this.
'You know who' can go 'you know what'. (expletives implied)

I don't think this will make the wind at that corner that much worse, as there are already two tall-ish buildings on the corner. Demolishing the old QEH site did improve wind patterns here a bit. Does a 28 storey building affect the wind more than a 9 storey building?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Just what that corner needs, IMHO. Hopefully it will be built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Better and better looking. I was really unimpressed with the earliest renderings, but this looks excellent.
Totally agree.

I love the first photo, which has a very Central Park West vibe -- some tall, impressive looking buildings, built along the border of the park. Looks great, and I think will inject some life into the Commons too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth