HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:43 PM
Fizzix geek

I was unable to make this meeting, but as a home-owner in this exact neighbourhood I wish I had been around to attend... in part because then I could draw my own objective conclusions on what happened and was said a the meeting.

My general take on this proposal itself is that I would support it, given its location along Coburg. I think that this is an appropriate location for this sort of low/mid-rise development, however I would not support it if it were instead along one of the side street blocks (e.g. Henry etc), the reason being that they are uniformly low-rise homes.

My reason for supporting it is this... the reality of students and other young people needing a place to live is not going to go away, in particular since young people today very much want to live within walking distance and not commute. If we do not provide effective housing outlets, through mid-rise development along transit corridors, then this will continue to put pressure on the existing housing stock. The lack of available housing options creates a market in which it remains advantageous to buy a home, put it up for rent and stuff 12 students in it. To me, we need mid-rise density along SGR/Coburg, Quinpool, etc, to provide reasonable density housing options and take the pressure off of creating rental ghettos that push single families out of the neighbourhood.

Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
It's only for amendments to the plan (MPS). In theory your Municipal Planning Strategy is for the long term, and Council is in no way obliged to consider changing it. Council may decide that conditions have changed significantly since the plan was implemented, and therefore there is some merit to considering the application. The initiation report examines whether there's any merit.

Contrast that to a Land Use Bylaw amendment or development agreement request. Council is obligated by the Municipal Government Act/Halifax Charter to consider your application for one of these, so there's no need for an initiation report. You pay your fees, you get considered.

It's not just in Halifax, but elsewhere in NS too.
Okay but the point still stands that in most other jurisdictions (even for a plan amendment) you pay the fee and it goes forward to council and then they can decided if there is a public hearing (or not by defeating the recommendation at 1st reading).

That's how we do it here in Calgary and it just seems to save a lot of time and discussion...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 3:06 AM

Speaking of suburban sprawl in HRM, anyone see this little nugget?

Quote:
A major firm is making a last-minute attempt to open up the Purcells Cove backlands to development. The backlands were zoned “urban reserve” in the 2006 regional plan. That designation prevents the area from being developed for the 25-year lifetime of the plan, or until 2031. At that point the area will be reassessed for its development potential.

[...]

The letter asks that council rezone the backlands to “rural commuter,” which would effectively open the entire area to low- to medium-density development. The suspicion is that some councillors believe they will only have the votes to approve the rezoning request if the missing councillors are present. Adams did not return a call for comment.
The Sprawl Beneficiaries continue their agenda, via HRM Councillors, at the expense of taxpayers and better urban planning. Stakeholders fought tooth and nail for higher urban growth targets, and to put a stop to sprawl, in the RP. It'll be interesting to see how this proposal plays out, and what staff and Council say. I don't have a lot of faith, given the sprawl we have sustained, and still do so, over the last 20+ years.

http://www.thecoast.ca/RealityBites/...or-development

MODERATOR NOTE : PLEASE POST ANYTHING RELATING TO THIS TOPIC IN THE APPROPRIATE THREAD ; http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209940

Last edited by Dmajackson; Feb 26, 2014 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 5:35 PM
we built this city

Let's use a modified version the anti-height crowd's mantra: "Its too sprawl".

Maybe that will work? The "Its too tall" one seems to get 5 stories lopped off every building in the city pretty well... maybe this will stop the outward expansion of the city at the cost of taxpayers and public transit quality.

Let's build up, not out!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:32 PM

This project is going before the District 7 & 8 PAC on Monday. Due to public feedback the proponent has removed the at-grade parking accessed from Coburg Road. Instead all of the parking will be below-grade and accessed off of Seymore Street. This allows for some residential units on the ground floor and full commercial frontage on Coburg Road.

Staff Report

- DJ

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 7:07 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This project is going before the District 7 & 8 PAC on Monday. Due to public feedback the proponent has removed the at-grade parking accessed from Coburg Road. Instead all of the parking will be below-grade and accessed off of Seymore Street. This allows for some residential units on the ground floor and full commercial frontage on Coburg Road.

Staff Report
This is excellent news. Coburg and area should be pushing for more density anyways. Parking lots are essentially the opposite of that.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 11:43 PM

The public hearing for this project will be held on Tuesday at Regional Council.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...60405ca112.pdf

- DJ

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:39 AM

It should be "Seymour", not "Seymore".

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:00 PM

One of the houses was demolished for this project late last year. The Needs store is now in the process of closing down.

- DJ

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 10:45 PM
Honored Member

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:27 PM

Needs is now closed. I'll keep an eye out for signs of demolition.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

- DJ

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:26 PM

I am really excited for this one to rise. It has been a long time coming and should be a nice showpiece for infill projects on the peninsula.

I did realize the other day though that it will block the view from the very best study room at Dal in the top corner of the Mona Campbell building. Good thing I don't need to study any more :p

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 8:02 PM
Fizzix geek

Construction fencing went up, so demolition is likely imminent.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 9:57 PM
Fizzix geek

Buildings came down late last week.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 3:55 AM

S e y m o u r

Could someone please change the spelling to "Seymour"?

Thanks,
A resident.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:34 PM
we built this city

DJ also posted a pic of the lot with the Needs building gone, here: http://urbanhalifax.tumblr.com/image/164294974289

Its amazing to see some of the quality of homes on the Dalhousie campus (in the background of that picture). Its a bit of a shame to see the condition they are in, given the location and original quality of the houses.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 8:44 PM

While once a good location, the growth of Dal has made that a very busy and unappealing location for families - lots of noise, no on-street parking ever, and of course high demand for student housing.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 1:19 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
DJ also posted a pic of the lot with the Needs building gone, here: http://urbanhalifax.tumblr.com/image/164294974289

Its amazing to see some of the quality of homes on the Dalhousie campus (in the background of that picture). Its a bit of a shame to see the condition they are in, given the location and original quality of the houses.
They are now in the middle of excavating. When I walked by yesterday they were about 3m down in most places. I assume therefore that actual construction will start later in the spring.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 9:40 PM

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:02 PM

- DJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth