HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:53 PM

[Halifax] The Bloom (5511 Bloomfield) | 26 m | 8 fl | Completed

Rendering:

[None Available]

Name: Gottingen & Bloomfield
Height: 25m
Floors: 8 floors
Approval Date: N/A
Developer(s): Beaufort Investments Inc.
Architect(s): Paul Skerry Inc.
Uses: Residential + Ground Floor Commercial
HRM Case #: 18254
Timeline:

2013.01.23 - Public Information Meeting
2013.09.23 - Development Agreement Final Approval

The long awaited redevelopment of the North-End Diner is now in the approval process.

Public Information Meeting - Case 18254
Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:00 – 21:00
5389 Russell Street, Halifax, NS (St. Joseph's Alexander McKay Elementary (Gymnasium)
Case 18254 - Application by Cantwell & Company Ltd., for the lands of Beaufort Investments Inc., to consider amending the Land Use By-law for Halifax Peninsula to include 2777-2778 Gottingen Street within Schedule Q, and allow an 8 storey mixed use building by development agreement

The case details page is not online yet but they are normally made available 1-2 weeks before the PIM.

- DJ

Last edited by Dmajackson; Sep 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 2:05 AM
You talkin' to me?

I remember the North End Diner. I was in there for lunch only about an hour before it burned down. I went back to work in the dockyard and everyone could smell the smoke all through our building not long after. I miss it but this replacement is obviously for the better.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 3:07 AM

Some before photos (both taken by me);

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 3:54 AM

Case Details 18254

Pretty standard North-End proposal. Can't say for sure without a colour rendering but I see no reason for the project not to go through.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:08 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks nice. The design is simple and it's a decent mid-sized building with a storefront on Gottingen. I think the North End would work a lot better as a neighbourhood with maybe 50 more residential buildings of approximately this scale. There would be enough density to support a good mix of amenities within walking distance of most of that end of town.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:12 AM

^Two storefronts actually. The Letter of Intent states one will become a more upscale pub/sit-down restaurant version of the North-End Diner. The other will be a smaller undefined space.

One thing I really like about the proposal is it has no direct parking access to Gottingen Street. If any road on the Peninsula should become a transit corridor its Gottingen Street and removing the parking accesses will make a dedicated transit R-O-W possible by removing turning movements and street crossings.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:20 AM

Would love to see a proper rendering, but it looks like it might be decent. And the proposal a couple blocks down at Bilby looks really promising. Taken together these could really change the feel of the area--really hope they both go through.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:27 AM

Isn't this where the North End Pub was before? There was an article in the herald that they want to go right back in on the site...so it seems to me (if I have the sites correct) the commercial ground floor has a tenant already!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Isn't this where the North End Pub was before? There was an article in the herald that they want to go right back in on the site...so it seems to me (if I have the sites correct) the commercial ground floor has a tenant already!
Indeed - the plan of the first floor shows the two commercial spaces (one noted as "pub") separated by a space noted as "kitchen." Seems pretty specific for a layout that would otherwise be purely speculative.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:35 PM

Its great to see the North End Pub making its return. This will hopefully bring back a commercial tenant to the building beside it on the corner of Gottingen & Almon. The Needs Convenience shut it's doors a couple months ago.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 4:52 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Some before photos (both taken by me);

This is a great design for this part of the North End. It's a safe design and will have a solid look unlike the building behind it. It's good to see no vinyl but we have to wait for the finished product to see how closely the building matches the proposal.

An extra bonus will be blocking the new building behind it.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 9:12 PM

I'd like to see less surface parking and more building, but I understand the rationale is to provide the pub/restaurant/commercial space with it's own defined parking area (versus residents who will have underground). But still, not a huge supporter of surface parking lots in established areas like this.

That said, I'm willing to deal with it and agree, no major reason to torpedo this.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:32 PM

They've added some perspective renderings to the project's details page. Theres no color but they look good so far;

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...rspectives.pdf

- DJ

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:37 PM

Not bad at all. I'm a huge fan of using rounded balconies on corners - I think they are fantastic!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:38 PM

Looks promising. It seems to borrow major elements from the Vic design, although those oddly-shaped balconies remind me a bit more of the Lexington or that new-ish mid-rise on Morris.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:00 PM

I was going to say it reminds me of a cross between the Lexington and St. James Place on South St. Sort of meh...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:28 PM
Honored Member

I think it is an fantastic design.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Not bad at all. I'm a huge fan of using rounded balconies on corners - I think they are fantastic!
Ha, I was just gonna say I really dislike rounded balconies.

Overall, I'm on the meh side. Not ugly, but not too exciting either, and not very contemporary. But full colour renderings will probably give a better sense. The podium is way better than the rest, which is good—there seems to be a lot more attention paid to the street level of projects lately.

I'm waiting for someone to propose something really excellent and modern for the 'hood, like this. (Or even just the brick podium of that.)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's an OK design. Nothing really new architecturally but it should work out just fine. I am mostly happy to see that this neighbourhood might get some decent density in the future. Buildings like this make areas like the Hydrostone Market more vibrant. They might also make better transit service to this area viable (which in turn helps strengthen the downtown, much more than an apartment building in Sackville would). The North End would be a great neighbourhood with about 50 of these and some higher order form of transit.

Here's one of the renderings from the PDF above:

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:39 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

I think it looks good! A bit of Vic influence with that more traditional facade section at the corner/along Gottingen?

As always, the materials will make or break this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth