HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:28 PM

The owners of this property have purchased the adjacent commercial building along Gottingen Street and are planning to expand the project.

The new proposal is for 8 floors with 64 residential units and ground floor commercial.

Case #21321

It should be noted that since the original proposal was approved there have been new additions to the neighbourhood including St. Joseph's Square (9 floors), 2814 Isleville (7 floors) and 5540 Kaye (5 floors). Additionally Bloomfield Place (8 floors) is under construction and there are at least five other similarly sized projects proposed/approved in this area including the site immediately to the north (Presidio Macara).

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:33 PM

The proposed amendments are going forward to H&WCC next week for approval.

Case #21321

- DJ

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 12:29 AM

So this project is owned by Urban Capital (think Gorsebrook Park, Southport). They've purchased the adjacent development block and associated development agreement (Macara Presidio) and is now proposing to merge the developement agreements to allow for a L-shaped building along the full Gottingen Street frontage. The building will have the same number of residential units, continuous commercial frontage on Gottingen, same townhouse idea on Macara, and a new private courtyard with pool on Bilby.

Halifax Planning - Case #22523 Details

- DJ

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
So this project is owned by Urban Capital (think Gorsebrook Park, Southport). They've purchased the adjacent development block and associated development agreement (Macara Presidio) and is now proposing to merge the developement agreements to allow for a L-shaped building along the full Gottingen Street frontage. The building will have the same number of residential units, continuous commercial frontage on Gottingen, same townhouse idea on Macara, and a new private courtyard with pool on Bilby.

Halifax Planning - Case #22523 Details
Interesting: the rationale for providing better protection (from the wind) and exposure (to the sun) at the courtyard seems nice. I have difficulty understanding the proposed design for the courtyard based on the drawings at the link though... a concrete slab with a pool smacked into it wouldn't be worthy of basing a whole rationale like that on it - hope it's nicely designed and well-considered.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:04 AM

This is an improvement. I'm also really looking forward to the contribution the ground-floor commercial space will make to this section of Gottingen.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 3:02 AM

So this has been a through a few changes since the last post in this thread but now that there is a website I am saying this is the plan.

Urban Capital presents NRTH Condos

A sign just went up on site for this project which leads to this rendering so its safe to assume this is the current plan. The renderings seem to match Halifax Planning Case #22523. The confusion comes from the rendering above which shows both the commercial building and abandoned residential building on Bilby as remaining. What is clear though is the inclusion of the adjacent development agreement is not going ahead as mentioned in previous posts. Maybe they are holding off to see how this project goes before announcing plans for their property on Macara Street?

- DJ

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jul 11, 2020 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 10:38 AM

it's funny I just assume that B&B Locksmith would be part of this project

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That design looks like a step up from the average mid-sized North End infill project. Urban Capital's projects have been very nice so far.

The only complaint I have, which holds for a lot of new construction in the North End, is that the buildings tend to be grey or bland looking. Even a lot of houses seem to have gotten duller over the years, with more grey paint jobs.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:42 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That design looks like a step up from the average mid-sized North End infill project. Urban Capital's projects have been very nice so far.

The only complaint I have, which holds for a lot of new construction in the North End, is that the buildings tend to be grey or bland looking. Even a lot of houses seem to have gotten duller over the years, with more grey paint jobs.
It's definitely the trend. More developments than I care to count are grey/black/white with wood accents.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 12:48 PM

Really surprising to see a Condo development. Everyone has been switching to Apartment buildings. The last time a condo was planned for this part of town was Monaghan… 5 years ago… and that got switched to apartments. Wonder if they will sell and how it’s being financed.

Just checked the website https://www.nrthcondos.com/ and it’s the same group that did Southpoint and Gorsebrook. So I imagine this will be financed the same way those were (however that was). The main question is if it’s a bank loan that’s tied to pre-sales or if the developer is floating the construction cost themselves. The former is how the Monaghan Condo project fell through. They only pre-sold a handful of units.

Last edited by Takeo; Jul 12, 2020 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Design and material quality is always an issue here - maybe everywhere, I dunno. I was in traffic on Barrington the other day and was stuck across from this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2800+...16.9,,0,-14.01

That building is not that old, but it looks like a slum. The siding is flaking paint, the windows look like they are going to fall out, and the design itself is just ugly. We could do so much better, yet we keep approving crap.
Top floor only for MIDGETS?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I don't see how that's constructive or appropriate.

Nice to see some new styles of North end mid-rise. This looks good.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 7:38 PM
Steven Courchene

The comment on the building on barrington street was a uninformed judgement seeing how it is owned by harbor city homes and is affordable housing its not the not the Nicest looking building but it offers housing for those in need and at a affordable price and if you noticed in the last three years they have done some work on that building and the building it self is at lest over over 27 years old.

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 8:12 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
I don't see how that's constructive or appropriate.

Nice to see some new styles of North end mid-rise. This looks good.
If you look at the picture of the building the top floor is showing much shorter windows than the other floors - so it is either for children (who should not be left alone) or midgets

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
If you look at the picture of the building the top floor is showing much shorter windows than the other floors - so it is either for children (who should not be left alone) or midgets
I understand what you were trying to say - and I stand by my response.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 11:03 PM

Just looked at the drawings. No unit floor plans but it does rough out the footprints of the units and their square footage / number of bedrooms. It’s a huge drag to see that a) there are very few 1 bedroom units (only 2 per floor) and b) BOTH face due north which sucks for natural light. I’ve lived in units facing that exact direction before and for 10 months of the year you get zero sun and otherwise you get a couple hours at the most at the end of the day. I think it’s a mistake both to have so few “affordable” units and to treat those more affordable units as second class citizens.

That may be why Monaghan failed. They sold a lot of studios @ $199K+ but almost nothing else. The next lowest price started at around $320K and they just did not sell… at all. Mind you this is a nicer location. Much shorter walk to the Hydrostone Market and FOUR+ brand new buildings within a one or two block radius which have or will have cool ground floor retail (Almonak, Spirit Spa, Heartwood). Monaghan has a Thai place (which isn’t bad), SuperStore and fast food. And surface parking galore. Still… I question the number of 2 and 3 bedroom units.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 5:39 AM

Quote:
As someone who never had a growth spurt, due to disability, I take great offence to this.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
As someone who never had a growth spurt, due to disability, I take great offence to this.
My apologies, I did not know it was a bad word.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:45 AM

Quote:
My apologies, I did not know it was a bad word.
It's okay. No actual offence taken.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 12:53 PM

Unit cost?

Could anyone take a guess as to how much these units will go for? Like ballpark range?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth