HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 11:31 PM

[Halifax] NRTH Condos (5511 Bilby) | 27 m | 8 fl | U/C

Name: Gottingen & Bilby
Height: 22m
Floors: 7 floors
Developer(s):
Architect(s): Michael Napier
Uses: Residential + Ground Floor Commercial

2012.11.05 - Project Listed on HRM Planning's Website
2012.12.05 - Public Information Meeting
2013.09.23 - First Reading of LUB Amendments
2013.10.28 - Public Hearing Held for Schedule "Q".
2013.11.19 - Schedule "Q" in effect.
2014.01.07 - Approval of Development Agreement.

Development Agreement - Case #18149

And the evolution of North-End Halifax continues.

This is the fourth project proposed this year for the ~15 blocks in the Almon-Gottingen-Young-Robie neighbourhood in addition to the St. Joseph Square just outside the boundary and Garden Stone Place completed a couple of years ago.

- 3'200 sq ft of commercial space (two entrances both off of Gottingen)
- 39 residential units
- Driveways accessed off of Bilby Street
- Separated at-grade and below-grade parkades
- 28 parking spaces
- 18 bicycle storage (2 'B' exterior for commercial, 16 'A' interior for residential)
- Rooftop amenity space (2nd floor)

Case 18149

PIM will be held December 5th at 7pm at St. Joseph's Alexander McKay Elementary School (Gymnasium), 5389 Russell Street, Halifax.

- DJ

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jan 15, 2014 at 6:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 2:11 AM

This will be a great improvement! I snapped this picture yesterday of B & B Security. It will be removed for this development as well.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 4:47 AM

Not bad - not great, but not bad. Yes, it will be an improvement for the area though. 7 stories; shouldn't get much of a rough ride considering it's below the planned development for the church site.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 5:57 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

So it looks like this is the Israel Convenience site? The North End Diner site remains empty and I'm not sure there is an active proposal for it yet. My hope is that in the future as more lots are built up there will be less time between demolition and redevelopment and therefore fewer holes. It was terrible back in the 90s when there was almost zero interest in redeveloping sites like this one.

Architecturally this project is pretty standard now but it's a big improvement over what was built a few years ago in this neighbourhood. Given all these new mid-sized projects, the stuff planned for Young Street, Bloomfield, and Agricola Street, this could become a great area. The shipyard is another interesting factor; there will be way more employment in the North End in the future.

This is kind of random, but I wonder what the chances are that the McCully Worklofts might move forward sometime over the next few years. A lot has changed since they were first proposed.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
So it looks like this is the Israel Convenience site? The North End Diner site remains empty and I'm not sure there is an active proposal for it yet. My hope is that in the future as more lots are built up there will be less time between demolition and redevelopment and therefore fewer holes.
I've actually heard thru the grapevine that there is a proposal coming down the pipeline for the old Northend Diner location. It will be in the range of 70 units - which, given the size of the site would likely translate into a 7-10 story building. Stay tuned on that one - I'm not exactly sure when it will be submitted, but it should be soon.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 2:07 PM
BUILD!

I think the size of the building is good for the site, but I fear that they will cheap out on materials. The rendering indicated the HIGH QUALITY items of pre-finished metal panels and wood façade being involved.....

Solid infill helps justify future proposals into the teens of stories as well.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 11:44 PM

Design and material quality is always an issue here - maybe everywhere, I dunno. I was in traffic on Barrington the other day and was stuck across from this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2800+...16.9,,0,-14.01

That building is not that old, but it looks like a slum. The siding is flaking paint, the windows look like they are going to fall out, and the design itself is just ugly. We could do so much better, yet we keep approving crap.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 4:45 AM

Fire-site housing units proposed
2012/11/06
By REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter

Quote:
A new residential building is being proposed on a north-end Halifax site ravaged by fire last year.

Nick I. Holdings Ltd., headed by George Israel, has submitted a proposal with the municipality to construct a seven-storey, mixed-use residential building with 3,200 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor.

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)
Read More: thechronicleherald.ca

- DJ

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 6:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That building is not that old, but it looks like a slum.
I always thought that was public housing. It's a really unappealing street for that style of townhouse.

Incidentally, there is a Group of Seven painting depicting early-20th century urban squalor in the North End. I don't think the street exists anymore, but it was near this area:

Source

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 12:24 AM

First Reading for the Land-Use Bylaw amendments is on September 23rd at Halifax & West Community Council.

Staff Report

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 6:18 PM

The public hearing has been scheduled for Monday, October 28th, 2013. The Land-Use Bylaw amendments will be considered at that time. The Development Agreement will go back to HWCC after the LUB amendments take effect. This is usually two months after the public hearing but the recent North-End projects have had a quicker turn-around.

I highly suggest emailing your opinions to clerks@halifax.ca who will then forward your comments onto Councillor Mason and the other members of the Halifax & West Community Council.

References : HRM Planning - Case 18149 Details Page (October 9th, 2013)

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 6:28 PM

Just a reminder of the Public Hearing on Monday. See the post above for more details.

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 7:43 PM

The Schedule "Q" application was approved last night. The development agreement should return for final approval in December.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 11:38 PM

O.P. has been updated.

Final approval for this project will be on Monday (January 6th, 2014).

http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/west/...06hwcc1011.pdf

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 2:18 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Design and material quality is always an issue here - maybe everywhere, I dunno. I was in traffic on Barrington the other day and was stuck across from this:

That building is not that old, but it looks like a slum. The siding is flaking paint, the windows look like they are going to fall out, and the design itself is just ugly. We could do so much better, yet we keep approving crap.
I remember when that building was built and thought at the time what a huge mistake this kind of building is. You cannot build a building this size with single family home materials. there are dozens of examples of this in HRM and they still keep getting approved left, right and centre. We need a real Design Review Committee that can identify this crap and stop it in its tracks. Not only are the materials substandard but the design scores a big fat zero as well!

We are creating a huge slum of cardboard & tin shacks when we used to be a granite, sandstone and marble kind of town.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 4:48 AM

Quote:

G-d, what an eyesore.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
We are creating a huge slum of cardboard & tin shacks when we used to be a granite, sandstone and marble kind of town.
True, but it's everywhere. I just got back from my annual Christmas trip to Calgary, which, for all its wealth, is a city with a handful of extremely impressive projects surrounded by thousands of plywood and vinyl throw-ups. Check out the condo my parents just moved into, and take a look at that faux stone around the ground level and windows. It sounds hollow if you knock on it. I bet a swift kick with a steel-toed boot would knock a hole in it.

This kind of junk building isn't confined to HRM--unfortunately, I guess.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
True, but it's everywhere. I just got back from my annual Christmas trip to Calgary, which, for all its wealth, is a city with a handful of extremely impressive projects surrounded by thousands of plywood and vinyl throw-ups. Check out the condo my parents just moved into, and take a look at that faux stone around the ground level and windows. It sounds hollow if you knock on it. I bet a swift kick with a steel-toed boot would knock a hole in it.

This kind of junk building isn't confined to HRM--unfortunately, I guess.
Reminds me of the model house on Arrested Development. :

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 11:48 PM

This is the first project approved in 2014!

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:19 PM

Here's a look at how developments in the North-End currently stand ;

Source : Halifax Developments Map hosted by Urban_Halifax on Flickr.com

- DJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth