HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 1:51 PM

Quote:

A concourse like this could be included on the side of the building, perhaps facing the driveway leading into the property from Highfield Street.
Or it could be the 'transit hub' that spills onto Main St. along Main.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 7:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Since the best location for the proposed transit terminal would likely be along the driveway leading to the Highfield/Main St intersection, this could possibly work.

A concession area for the transit terminal is an intriguing thought. It would be interesting to know if it would be possible to have the concessions area "double sided" so that it could serve both the transit terminal and the events centre.

The existing cafeteria at the GMIA is like this. It's able to serve customers in both the general concourse and the pre-boarding area. If a similar set-up were possible at the events centre, you might then see some more interesting concessions come on board, knowing that they could have considerably extended hours of operation....

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 8:06 PM
real estate blogger

And the glassed in transit concourse would connect to the glassed in pedway over the railroad tracks leading to the parking structure.

Maybe with some "sculpture" ....... ;-)

Source: http://wiesewindmill.blogspot.ca/200...ns-museum.html

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 9:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
On another note one of the last lots for sale in Flanders court (where the new oultons college is going) has been sold!

Here is the info sheet on it from Colliers:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...QcpG-P29WeqqmA

That leaves only one lot left
Well, whatever is going to be built here, they aren't wasting any time...... Site preparation is already beginning.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:48 AM

Those are some great example of what the events centre could look like, lots of potential for sure. I think the exterior of the MTS Centre is my favorite, mostly because is has a strong street front presence and is lined with restaurants and bars. A public plaza maybe with a water feature could work well on the southeastern corner of the property facing Highfield. A glass facade like Grand Rapid's Van Andel Arena often looks great facing a plaza.

As for the transit hub, I think it should be as close as possible to Main street and the events centre as possible. This is NB after all, any slight disadvantage perceived or real in transit and people will revert back to their beloved cars in a heartbeat Parking is what needs to be pushed away. That's why I don't think the integrated VIA station/transit terminal is a good option, although a cool idea, it's too "isolated". The triangular lot across Highfield (south of Crown Plaza) is the ideal spot for a transit termial, perhaps integrated with some convention space and linked via pedway to the events centre and over Main to CP. Who knows, maybe even The Bay could work something out with the city. Buses would drop off and pick up patrons on Highfield, literally steps from many amenities; events centre, hotel, convention space, shops, restaurants etc. without obstructing Main st. Now there's an incentive to take public transit!

wikipedia

flikr

reposted from skyscrapercity

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 8:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would agree that the MTS Centre would make a good template for a (smaller version) events centre for Moncton. The most important thing is the street presence of such a building, and also the inclusion of some streetfront retail and restaurants (to enliven the streetscape and incorporate the building into the surrounding neighbourhood). The MTS Centre even has a glass curtainwall which would allow for that inner concourse for the concessions area that mmmatt wants.

We both agree that the best place for the transit terminal is along the driveway leading onto Main Street at Highfield. This is close to Main and close to the core. This would increase utilization, especially if it could be covered and/or sheltered from the elements.

The main question is what should be done with the current triangular parking area at the extreme eastern end of the property. I'm willing to bet that it won't be a parking structure, especially since it is directly across from the Aquillini block. I wonder about a conference/hotel complex, connected by pedway to both the events centre and to the Aquillini block.

I could see condos on the Main St side of the Aquillini block and a parking structure in behind. There could be street level commercial development on the Aquillini block as well.

Finally, a parking structure (connected by pedway) on the other side of the CN mainline would be ideal as well. If all this (or variations of this) were to transpire, it truly woild be transformative for the downtown.

This is downtowns big chance, we cannot let this opportunity to get away!!!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In the paper today, they noted that the city is doing soil testing at Highfield Square as part of their due diligence prior to formally purchasing the property for the new events centre...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:04 PM

new arena

with any luck irving oil will man up and help build a much larger arena in hopes of getting a future nhl or other big name sports franchise we have the ppl in the surounding cities that we could be the center of the sporting world in moncton and we may be getting a cfl team so it stands to figure why not build to the future not a 8000 seat arena we need a 15000 seat arena to help with our growing sports need !!!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyleafsfan View Post
with any luck irving oil will man up and help build a much larger arena in hopes of getting a future nhl or other big name sports franchise we have the ppl in the surounding cities that we could be the center of the sporting world in moncton and we may be getting a cfl team so it stands to figure why not build to the future not a 8000 seat arena we need a 15000 seat arena to help with our growing sports need !!!
I like your enthusiasm regarding pro sports, however you're living in a dream world if you expect Moncton to ever attract an NHL team. The CFL is a good possibility, but the cost of supporting an NHL is much more significant. I'm hoping to see the events center constructed at 10,000 seats, no less.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agreed. Even the CFL is a bit of a stretch, but I like our odds on that one!

The base minimum population for a (Canadian) NHL market is 750,000, and even this makes Bettman nervous. I am quite confident we will never see NHL here. Maybe Halifax (in 75 years time).....

Mattyyy is right, the arena should be 10,000 seats minimum. I don't like the fact that they keep talking about 9,000 seats. That puts us out of the running for certain big events like the Brier.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:54 PM

Dunno if any of you are Twitterers, but from @CityofMoncton:

"Come to #Moncton City Hall on Thursday, April 12 at noon where 4 concept renderings for the proposed #DowntownCentre will be revealed."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
"Come to #Moncton City Hall on Thursday, April 12 at noon where 4 concept renderings for the proposed #DowntownCentre will be revealed."

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

I just might have to drop by!!!

I presume the unveiling will be in the main lobby?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I presume the unveiling will be in the main lobby?
I assume... this kind of thing is usually down there. I'll recognize you by the stethoscope? I'll be there in my generic geek capacity.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

I just might have to drop by!!!
If you do, please bring a digital camera!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:54 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
The base minimum population for a (Canadian) NHL market is 750,000, and even this makes Bettman nervous. I am quite confident we will never see NHL here. Maybe Halifax (in 75 years time).....
Don't get me started, 'cause i'll defend Bettman til the death.

But yes, 750K in the franchise city is the minimum requirement.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:34 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

We could pull an HRM and amalgamate all of New Brunswick into one super-city. Toss in PEI as a suburb for good measure. Could work

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, I went to the presentation and all I can say is -

Holy Crap!!!!!!

Talk about a project which will be truly transformative for the city. We aren't just talking about an arena here, we're talking about massive urban renewal!!

I'm at work right now and can't elaborate any further. I'll do so this evening.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Well, I went to the presentation and all I can say is -

Holy Crap!!!!!!

Talk about a project which will be truly transformative for the city. We aren't just talking about an arena here, we're talking about massive urban renewal!!

I'm at work right now and can't elaborate any further. I'll do so this evening.
Agreed!! Managed to get to the presentation and was definitely blown away by the potential of this project. In 10 years time, that section of the city would be unrecognizable of what it is today.

I think my favorite was the first presentation, but 2 & 4 have elements that I would utilize as well. I wasn't a big fan of the 3rd at all!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:29 PM

"Useless without pics"

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 6:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post

"Useless without pics"

Oh I know, I'm just at work and can't give a full report right now. I did snap some pics though.

All I can say is "patience grasshopper"......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces