HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 11:18 AM

The RFP for this went out this week. Should have a developer chosen by end of October.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 6:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

According to the website the deadline for the RFP was this past Friday, September 28.

They're listing "January 2014" as the project start date.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:24 AM
BANNED

...at least it's a date.

I suppose we'll see how the next year unfolds for this.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 4:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The bidders were Southwest Properties, Besim Halef, Navid Saberi, and Danny Chedrawe. Southwest developed Bishop's Landing and made a failed bid for the Salter block back in 2003.

From 2003-2011 nothing was built on the Salter block and then the contract was cancelled. Bishop's Landing was, I believe, completed in 2000. In other words, it appears we haven't seen a major development led by the WDC on the Halifax waterfront in 12 years. Cunard was at one point targeted for 2013 and now they're talking about 2014. If the Cunard block goes according to schedule it will be 14 years between developments. During this period dozens of other developments have been built in the urban core. In particular there's been a lot of rental construction and that is what they're putting on the waterfront now. In light of all this the WDC's development track record seems pretty bad.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The bidders were Southwest Properties, Besim Halef, Navid Saberi, and Danny Chedrawe. Southwest developed Bishop's Landing and made a failed bid for the Salter block back in 2003.
Based on previous work I'd like to see Danny Chedrawe or Southwest. Saberi's track record of lawsuits and stalled projects certainly isn't a positive for this type of bid.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 9:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Grainery project by Southwest is nice. Bishop's Landing was also pretty good for its day, although you can tell that it was built in 2000 and not 2012. They also submitted a bid for the Salter site back in 2003. It's too bad Salter was never developed, because the 3 sites combined with the Brewery market and other stuff going on that area would make a great neighbourhood. As it is now it's only half a neighbourhood because Salter and the Alexander condos were never built, and there's still a big NSP parking lot below the Vic apartments. I think the stretch below Hollis from Sackville to the seaport area needs the most improvement of any part of the downtown, and has the most potential because of its location and amenities.

Source

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Grainery project by Southwest is nice. Bishop's Landing was also pretty good for its day, although you can tell that it was built in 2000 and not 2012.
Source
Was never a huge fan of that proposal for Salter's. Seemed to be trying too hard to be Maritime.

In 20 years the delays may turn out to have been a good thing, giving a bit more architectural variety to that end of town. With HRMbyDesign in place there is also a much better chance of good streetscapes and urbanism, as opposed to disasters like the south end of Barrington St. It's frustrating now but if anything demand for residential downtown seems to be growing so the medium to long term looks good.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 9:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The design of that proposal was very obviously related to Rowe's Wharf in Boston, a development from the 1980s. Presumably whatever they propose now will look a bit more modern. I'm hoping they don't fall into the common trap of using "sympathy toward neighbours" to justify a weird chimera of grafted bits of Bishop's Landing and the NSP building. That is what the CD Plus replacement design looks like. It's by the same architectural firm that did Bishop's Landing.

I agree that the delay in development might be a good thing. Imagine what the Nova Centre design would have looked like 10-15 years ago. It is still not perfect but that a development at that scale has the potential to do a lot of damage (see: Metro Centre).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:05 PM

Hopefully WDCL will be making an announcement soon of the winner of the RFP here (closed on September 28, 2012).

According to their submission to the Design Review Committee:
- Preferred Proponent Selected by end of January (approx)
- Project Submission by the end of March

https://my-waterfront.ca/development...ceptual-design

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:05 AM

Joint bid chosen for Cunard Block
February 14, 2013 - 7:33pm BY REMO ZACCAGNA BUSINESS REPORTER

The Cunard Block project is slated for a Lower Water Street site.

Quote:
The Waterfront Development Corp. Ltd. has found its private partner in the $75-million Cunard Block project.

The provincial Crown agency announced Thursday that following a request for proposals process launched in August, it has selected a joint bid from Southwest Properties Ltd. and Minett Real Estate Services, headed by Toronto developer Alan Greenberg.

There were four proposals made during the process, corporation president Colin MacLean said in a telephone interview.

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)

Read More: thechronicleherald.ca

This has to be one of the best looking proposals in Halifax since I started following them 5 years ago.

- DJ

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:11 AM

Oh hell yes, this is brilliant!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 4:22 AM
Dartmouth Girl

I'm torn, it's definitely sleek looking that's for sure, love the materials.. but round.. I (and I know there's gotta be some others out there who agree) round buildings just.. don't look right, too wannabe futuristic-ey. The front of the tower, closest to the harbour, the first thing I noticed with the picture, is it looks like someone drove a cruise ship (like it said in the article) into the waterfront and built around/on top of it. lol It could be worse.. but personally, it's kinda goofy looking.

"WELCOME TO THE HOME OF TOMORROW!!!!"

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 4:32 AM

yeah I think it's going to be one of those love it or hate it designs for a myriad of reasons. I love it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I'm torn, it's definitely sleek looking that's for sure, love the materials.. but round.. I (and I know there's gotta be some others out there who agree) round buildings just.. don't look right, too wannabe futuristic-ey. The front of the tower, closest to the harbour, the first thing I noticed with the picture, is it looks like someone drove a cruise ship (like it said in the article) into the waterfront and built around/on top of it. lol It could be worse.. but personally, it's kinda goofy looking.

"WELCOME TO THE HOME OF TOMORROW!!!!"
From that one rendering it appears more like something that would be found in southern climes, but then again, there has been such a long period of time where all one could get approved in downtown were faux-Vixtorian replicas that nothing like this could have been built here. Maybe without the HT holding the city hostage since the 1980s Halifax might have had a whole series of modern-style buildings.

There was a photo of this area posted in one of the other threads a while ago that was taken from the Dartmouth side, and there are 3 developments in this area that really look quite atrocious in the overall scheme of things: the 2 condo apartment buildings on the west side of Lower Water between Morris and Bishop Sts and of course Bishop's Landing, all of which are built in that throwback style and really look quite dated now. While there is likely no possibility of them going away any time soon, it is a shame that downtown is going to be stuck with these ugly things for the foreseeable future. This new proposal will make a nice contrast, especially when taken in concert with the Vic just up the hill.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Joint bid chosen for Cunard Block
February 14, 2013 - 7:33pm BY REMO ZACCAGNA BUSINESS REPORTER

The Cunard Block project is slated for a Lower Water Street site.

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)

Read More: thechronicleherald.ca

This has to be one of the best looking proposals in Halifax since I started following them 5 years ago.
I'm not convinced yet. Somehow it feels dated already. I'll see what the rest of the renderings look like once the design is advanced, but I kind of feel let down by this one.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 11:51 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think it looks great. Very Jetson's-esque, very NOT Atlantic Canada. It's not meant to be the centrepiece of Halifax's skyline so it doesn't have to be perfect. It's a truly fantastic addition.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I like it too. The rounded edges don't bother me and the allusions to a cruise ship also seem about right. It looks kinda like the Pan Pacific in Vancouver.

It will add variety to the skyline, which is a good thing. It also fills up a big hole on the waterfront.

Where are you guys going to play beach volleyball now??

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Where are you guys going to play beach volleyball now??
This happens on the Salter block, which will likely stay a parking lot/beach volleyball court for quite awhile.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I'm not convinced yet. Somehow it feels dated already. I'll see what the rest of the renderings look like once the design is advanced, but I kind of feel let down by this one.
Interesting thoughts, certainly want to see more too as well.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 1:29 PM

I like it. I like variety of style in a city and we have nothing that looks like this so far. 16 stories should look very good on the waterfront. I like the idea of more commercial and should do good in summer close to the cruise ships.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth