HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
They need to get HRM by Design approval and then find a developer to build the project. Theoretically both parts could go smoothly. They're anticipating a start in 2013.

The aerial rendering really shows how buildings play off of each other. In this case instead of a vague parking lot there will be a new courtyard. In the same way Lower Water Street might soon feel like a real street with rows of buildings on either side instead of a pathway through some parking lots. If the brewery tower is built it will help a lot too, and it can theoretically start whenever.
I do agree that anything on Lower Water Street is a good thing. I'm really tired of looking at those lots, but come on Halifax - throw an extra 50,000 in design fees to get something interesting. Cost of good design minimal for a project of this scale.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:52 AM

Wonder what's on the Lower Water Street side. What they do along there will be key. It makes sense to have vehicle access in the courtyard so that people can be picked up, dropped off and deliveries can be made. Still, it seems strange to retain 8 surface parking spots. Eight isn't going to be enough to provide any meaningful space for shops in there or for visitors. Seems like just a waste of space.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 1:27 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Here are some revised renderings from http://my-waterfront.ca/development/...ceptual-design. They look quite good, except maybe for the few surface parking spots inside the courtyard (not a big deal I guess, particularly if it makes it possible to hide the garage entrance):

http://my-waterfront.ca/cms/wp-conte...l_03-final.jpg

http://my-waterfront.ca/cms/wp-conte...06/Cunard2.jpg
I think it looks great. They have gone to great lengths to follow HRM_by_Design guidelines and have even considered rising sea-levels in designing the underground parking levels.

Here is a presentation that describes their architectural design considerations - http://my-waterfront.ca/cms/wp-conte...esentation.pdf. The presentation indicates a total of 552 parking spots.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 10:13 AM
opinionated so and so

The good coverage:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...timated-at-75m

The bad - headline in Metro "17-storeys: Coming soon to a waterfront near you?"
http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/263...ront-near-you/

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Here are some revised renderings from http://my-waterfront.ca/development/...ceptual-design. They look quite good, except maybe for the few surface parking spots inside the courtyard (not a big deal I guess, particularly if it makes it possible to hide the garage entrance)
Some surface parking is probably good if they want to encourage retail use at-grade.

(Plus, it's closer to the Seaport Market than much of the parking that's allocated for that particular imposition. LOL)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 7:36 PM
Honored Member

I like several aspects of this Waterfront Cunard project. One is the Events Plaza area shown in the rendering below, which has a few small outdoor viewing areas along with washrooms and concessions area (I believe the sliding side doors are for concessions since it is listed as washrooms and commercial on page 19 of this presentation - http://my-waterfront.ca/cms/wp-conte...esentation.pdf).

It would be great to see a construction start in 2013. It would be disappointing to see another Salter Street situation, which was also to have been built on land leased by the Waterfront Development Corp.

Last edited by fenwick16; Jun 17, 2012 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 9:21 PM

That little plaza reminds me of the space behind the Law Courts. Too small to really do much of anything useful, but an OK hangout space I guess.

That washroom/concessions structure looks really cheap. The shingle siding is a big part of that.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 9:45 PM

I like the idea of seeing more retail and such around the waterfront, it has a good bit of potential as a tourist destination (more so than now)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 10:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
I like the idea of seeing more retail and such around the waterfront, it has a good bit of potential as a tourist destination (more so than now)
This stuff sort of feeds off of itself. The tourists are a bit of a captive audience but if you're choosing where to go shopping you want to go where there are a number of stores. If you are looking at a neighbourhood to live in you want to live near a grocery store, maybe a pharmacy, and some other shops and services, but those things will only operate in an area with a certain level of population density.

A lot of urban areas in Halifax don't really have the population density to make them work properly, and the desire for small-scale development really exacerbates the problem. You're not going to build a successful "urban village" type of environment with 1-2 small lowrise condo buildings.

I'd argue that Spring Garden Road is the one area that has a (real but arguably borderline) level of urban convenience and vitality in Halifax, and it's not 1-2 little condo buildings plus some quaint little heritage buildings and lots of surface parking. It's got multiple large highrises and mixed use developments.

Bishop's Landing is nice but remove tourists from the picture and there's very little down there. If it were a 6 block area with 4 or 5 new apartment/condos though it would be a different story. If something goes in on Cunard, Salter, the brewery lot, and maybe the NSP lot we'd have a real neighbourhood. It would be a convenient place to live and the residents there would have a big positive impact on adjacent parts of the downtown and seawall area.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 11:50 PM

The washrooms appear inaccessible by wheelchair.

I don't care if the structure is made from the most expensive materials available, inaccessible public washrooms being built in 2012/2013/anytime-after-1985 is a fail.

*rolls wheelchair off soapbox*

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 12:19 AM

I find the corner by the plaza wasted on a visitor centre (which is deserted eight months of the year) and washrooms. The washrooms could go in a less prominent corner. Seeing what space Two If By Sea thrives in as is, the little pavilion would be fantastic for a coffee shop.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
The washrooms appear inaccessible by wheelchair.

I don't care if the structure is made from the most expensive materials available, inaccessible public washrooms being built in 2012/2013/anytime-after-1985 is a fail.

*rolls wheelchair off soapbox*
You are quite correct. I cannot believe that HRM/building code would allow that to occur.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 12:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It seems to me based on some of the other perspectives that there will be ramps in behind right next to the main building.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 1:29 AM

Quote:
It seems to me based on some of the other perspectives that there will be ramps in behind right next to the main building.
Agreed. Don't get caught up reading too much into what is just a concept rendering. For example, in that image, there doesn't appear to be an entrance into the info center (that isn't suspended feet above the boardwalk). The washrooms are designated by M and F, and no pictures, (what are Spanish and Russian speakers to do?), there are even people, fully dressed, standing in the middle of what looks to be a copy of Bishop's Landings water fountain. (and they are partially transparent!)

Being serious though, WDC hasn't even tendered the design phase yet. Don't get too dismayed by (or hooked on) the particulars of these renderings. My understanding is this is an idea of what could be built here. The next phase will be a variety of submissions, similar in massing no doubt as they seem to have settled on a variable height plan rather than the boxy 12 story all-around concept, but I expect the final product will look quite a bit different.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 1:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
The washrooms are designated by M and F, and no pictures, (what are Spanish and Russian speakers to do?)
Actually the most common term for "women" for Spanish (Mexican) washrooms I've seen is "Mujeres". I've never seen just an "M", but I have seen tourists go into the women's washroom accidentally.

The male washrooms are "Hombres" -- too bad they don't start with "W". Alternatively sometimes you see caballeros/damas.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Actually the most common term for "women" for Spanish (Mexican) washrooms I've seen is "Mujeres". I've never seen just an "M", but I have seen tourists go into the women's washroom accidentally.

The male washrooms are "Hombres" -- too bad they don't start with "W". Alternatively sometimes you see caballeros/damas.
That reminds me, years ago I worked at the Delta Barrington. The elevator had the regular floor numbers, ie. 2, 3 and 4. However instead of an M they had a B (for Barrington) and a G (for Granville). So the arrangement was G, B, 2, 3 then 4. I can't tell you how often we had tourists wondering why the 'B'asement was ground level and 'G'round level was down in the basement!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
That reminds me, years ago I worked at the Delta Barrington. The elevator had the regular floor numbers, ie. 2, 3 and 4. However instead of an M they had a B (for Barrington) and a G (for Granville). So the arrangement was G, B, 2, 3 then 4. I can't tell you how often we had tourists wondering why the 'B'asement was ground level and 'G'round level was down in the basement!
Heh! I work in the Maritime Centre. There we have an M for 'Mezzanine'. Fools so many people!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 11:24 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That little plaza reminds me of the space behind the Law Courts. Too small to really do much of anything useful, but an OK hangout space I guess.

That washroom/concessions structure looks really cheap. The shingle siding is a big part of that.
Busker size, not Jazzfest size. We need a real event plaza. I'd suggest moving the police memorial and the fake, historically inaccurate mast in Grand Parade and re-landscaping the place, but that seems pretty unlikely. I'm holding out for a mini Yonge/Dundas when Cogswell finally comes down, some day (I may live to see it!).

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 2:05 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post
Heh! I work in the Maritime Centre. There we have an M for 'Mezzanine'. Fools so many people!
Haha, a dude runs in and just starts peeing in front of a Mezzanine with people.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 5:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Busker size, not Jazzfest size. We need a real event plaza. I'd suggest moving the police memorial and the fake, historically inaccurate mast in Grand Parade and re-landscaping the place, but that seems pretty unlikely. I'm holding out for a mini Yonge/Dundas when Cogswell finally comes down, some day (I may live to see it!).
Yeah, it's kind of unfortunate how the Grand Parade has been managed lately. A while ago there was a plan to open it up a bit and add some great features like a second staircase from the north end of the square down to Barrington.

I think putting the police memorial there was a mistake (plus the design is not that great), and arguably even the cenotaph could have been moved back when the restoration work was done, or should be moved. There will be a few new places for monuments like that when the library and adjacent park are done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth