HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:21 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The WDC will soon be looking for a developer for this project, and it sounds like there will be some HbD-related meeting on Thursday (not clear if this is some kind of open house or something else). Maybe we'll get some more detailed project information soon. A developer could by chosen in the fall and construction could start shortly thereafter.

In ANS there was a good quote from the president of the condo board for the building across the street. He pointed out how this is already planned for and how it will probably have a positive effect on the value of condo units in his building.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
In ANS there was a good quote from the president of the condo board for the building across the street. He pointed out how this is already planned for and how it will probably have a positive effect on the value of condo units in his building.
Definitely positive to see reasoned responses like that, rather than the expected "They are blocking my view" response (ala The Martello). Congrats to the president of that board for taking a logic based view of the development situation in that area.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Definitely positive to see reasoned responses like that, rather than the expected "They are blocking my view" response (ala The Martello). Congrats to the president of that board for taking a logic based view of the development situation in that area.
39 meters as of right pre bonus, 49 post, for the land, 19 max for the water lot. So 18 stories seems a little unlikely but close to it, what would that be, 15? 16? 160 feet at 10 feet per story, assuming they can get away with ground floor at less than 15 feet.

I have every confidence in Colin MacLean at WDC, he is doing great work turning that ship around.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 5:23 PM
we built this city

So how long until the anti-height crew comes out of the woodwork?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:01 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
So how long until the anti-height crew comes out of the woodwork?
Like Sisters, there is no basis for complaint. The community consultation on height ended 5 years ago with HRMbD. Staff won't even ask the neighbours, because they already did that. 49 metres with bonusing is already approved.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
39 meters as of right pre bonus, 49 post, for the land, 19 max for the water lot. So 18 stories seems a little unlikely but close to it, what would that be, 15? 16? 160 feet at 10 feet per story, assuming they can get away with ground floor at less than 15 feet.
That site is fairly sloped - I'd imagine even a difference of 1-storey - with the high point being the corner of Lower Water and Morris. If this is adhering to HRMbyDesign, I think it needs a tall first storey - not sure if it works out to +/- 15 feet.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:44 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Like Sisters, there is no basis for complaint. The community consultation on height ended 5 years ago with HRMbD. Staff won't even ask the neighbours, because they already did that. 49 metres with bonusing is already approved.
I truly hope so, these folks can use anything as a "basis for complaint". The list of dead projects that were supposedly okay to proceed is longer than the phonebook.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 8:46 PM
we built this city

Doesn't there have to be some sort of public input still though? This is where things usually go poorly as the room gets stacked with anti-height folks.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 10:48 AM

With HRMByDesign the only public input required is an open house event put on by the developer.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Around 15 floors or so would be fantastic! The NIMBYs had their say and input during the creation of HRMbyDesign. Tell them to go pound sand (while it's still at Salter).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:05 PM

I don't think 15 storeys is bad for this area. I can't remember if there are any viewplanes on the site, but I think having super tall buildings against the water presents an odd scale when you look up the hill. I'd rather it start out around 15 and work up to the rampart height as you go up, just for the sake of good scale.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:19 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
With HRMByDesign the only public input required is an open house event put on by the developer.
Right, okay I remember now. The appeal process is similar as before though? e.g. groups such as HT can seek an appeal of an approval?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Right, okay I remember now. The appeal process is similar as before though? e.g. groups such as HT can seek an appeal of an approval?
Appeal would be to council - then I believe to the UARB? Or did the UARB get taken out?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Appeal would be to council - then I believe to the UARB? Or did the UARB get taken out?
I think UARB got removed from the process... but I'm not sure.

My understanding is that any appeal has to be over alleged non-conformance with the design by-laws. If this is correct, I don't think height is appealable.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:09 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I think UARB got removed from the process... but I'm not sure.

My understanding is that any appeal has to be over alleged non-conformance with the design by-laws. If this is correct, I don't think height is appealable.
This is what Andy Filmore told me yesterday at the DBDC AGM. Height is off the table for both Sisters and Cunard, the only option for opponents is to go to court at great cost.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:26 PM

Good - I always found that part of the planning system in HRM to be a little backwards to me. Out here in Alberta, there is no appeal of a decision to rezone a property. Once council has made that decision, that's it. You get to apply for all the uses in the zone and if you can make the building fit in the box, so be it.

Unfortunately our planning system has 'discretionary' uses - which are always subject to appeal, which typically end up being the developments we want most (mixed use or multi-residential development).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 11:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here are some revised renderings from http://my-waterfront.ca/development/...ceptual-design. They look quite good, except maybe for the few surface parking spots inside the courtyard (not a big deal I guess, particularly if it makes it possible to hide the garage entrance):

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:06 AM

Wow I love it. Has a start date been mentioned yet?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They need to get HRM by Design approval and then find a developer to build the project. Theoretically both parts could go smoothly. They're anticipating a start in 2013.

The aerial rendering really shows how buildings play off of each other. In this case instead of a vague parking lot there will be a new courtyard. In the same way Lower Water Street might soon feel like a real street with rows of buildings on either side instead of a pathway through some parking lots. If the brewery tower is built it will help a lot too, and it can theoretically start whenever.

It's important to have continuity along the waterfront too, with lots of points of interest for people to see. Right now aside from Bishop's Landing it's kind of sparse between Sackville Street or so and the seawall area.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:20 AM

WTF is that? What a strange configuration. This is similar to Fares Clyde St. proposals - it's all over the place, overly bulky, boring.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth