HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

307 Prince Albert in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Ah yes, I see where I misunderstood. I went back to the case information from HRM's website and I thought there was a policy amendment involved - in which case the amendment to the Dartmouth MPS would go to regional council. But since there isn't, you are correct it will just be the Harbour East Council voting on this.

Either way, there is an appeal process...I'm not too concerned.
Do you think that this will get turned down requiring an appeal (presumably URB).

cheers ...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 12:00 PM

I've been watching what is happening with the proposed developments throughout HRM and frankly I think this process involving DA's is getting longer and longer and more complicated because of Public input which in turn slowing down growth. I think it is time we encourage the experts to handle the decision making, I think City staff and or, Halifax by design should make recommendations to Council, and, I think Council should vote based on these recommendations. I don't think public at large should have any input unless they are experts in certain fields pretaining to the subject development.
As for The Prince Albert I think it is a beautiful building bringing life to a community badly inneed of such a development in order to stay sustainable. It will be a great dissapointment to this community if this get voted down for the wrong reasons. Dartmouth should encourage more developments like this and there is no reason why downtown dartmouth should not be as good or as beautiful as Halifax .
Cheers.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 12:11 PM

Lots of first time posters on this thread. Remarkable. Almost as if the developer is providing support for their project. Call me crazy.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:00 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeedward View Post
Dartmouth should encourage more developments like this and there is no reason why downtown dartmouth should not be as good or as beautiful as Halifax .
Cheers.
I agree. With King's Wharf in the early stages and being built at a pretty good pace we will soon see some headway. This one could only add more beauty.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 4:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeedward View Post
I don't think public at large should have any input unless they are experts in certain fields pretaining to the subject development.
I disagree. Sometimes there really is an impact on nearby residents or there is some advice they can give that staff and others would not otherwise have thought about. Maybe some purely theoretical or technical fields do not have a place for public consultation, but planning and design definitely do not qualify.

It is completely reasonable to require developers of larger projects to have an evening where they present to the public and accept input. The problems stem not from public consultation itself but from the compounding of many delays brought about by a slow process, too many committees, appeals, anti-development councillors, excessive planning regulations, etc.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I disagree. Sometimes there really is an impact on nearby residents or there is some advice they can give that staff and others would not otherwise have thought about. Maybe some purely theoretical or technical fields do not have a place for public consultation, but planning and design definitely do not qualify.

It is completely reasonable to require developers of larger projects to have an evening where they present to the public and accept input. The problems stem not from public consultation itself but from the compounding of many delays brought about by a slow process, too many committees, appeals, anti-development councillors, excessive planning regulations, etc.
Yes it's reasonable for developers to hold public information sessions and to collect opinion and hopefully find a rational use for it. What isn't reasonable is HRM staff's fear of reprisal from their superiors (ultimately the Councillors), hence staff's continual procrastination and requests for information. The real issue is that Council empowers staff and then dis-empowers them. Staff cannot make confident decisions (who's looking over your shoulder now) and when they do, Council will favour public opinion over staff reports (mostly on controversial issues). Empower staff by giving councillors a rational voice supporting their initiatives. Don't let Council pander to uninformed mob mentalities - make Council do their job, so staff can do theirs.

cheers ...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Lots of first time posters on this thread. Remarkable. Almost as if the developer is providing support for their project. Call me crazy.
Feels the same way to me. This development is nothing special.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 6:55 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
If developers can recommend this forum to others then cheers to them. Whatever it takes to get support for progress and jobs in the Halifax-area, Nova Scotia and all of the Maritime provinces.

I realize that progress must be tempered by reason but I see this development as being far better than what is there now.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 7:05 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
If developers can recommend this forum to others then cheers to them. Whatever it takes to get support for progress and jobs in the Halifax-area, Nova Scotia and all of the Maritime provinces.

I realize that progress must be tempered by reason but I see this development as being far better than what is there now.
Indeed, and I see this development as far better than most that have gone up lately.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 12:07 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post

Exactly.... STV et al certainly don't hesitate to flood online comments at the CH, have facebook groups where their members can discuss (but then edit out members who don't agree with them etc). I am not sure that the developer is mobilizing people to make comments, but even if they are... so what? That is just simply using the same tools that STV/HT etc do all the time.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Exactly.... STV et al certainly don't hesitate to flood online comments at the CH, have facebook groups where their members can discuss (but then edit out members who don't agree with them etc). I am not sure that the developer is mobilizing people to make comments, but even if they are... so what? That is just simply using the same tools that STV/HT etc do all the time.
Not up on all of the abbreviations ... Who / what are STV and CH ?

Anyway, they appear to operate like the main stream media ... censoring and pushing their agenda at the expense of integrity. Happy to have a forum where I can provide opinion without censorship.

Cheers ...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 5:11 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnem2 View Post
Not up on all of the abbreviations ... Who / what are STV and CH ?

Anyway, they appear to operate like the main stream media ... censoring and pushing their agenda at the expense of integrity. Happy to have a forum where I can provide opinion without censorship.

Cheers ...
Sorry... STV = Save The View coalition
HT = Heritage Trust
CH = Chronicle Herald

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 12:08 PM

article in Burnside News

Just saw this in the Burnside News

http://www.burnsidenews.com/Business...-to-Burnside/1

cheers

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnem2 View Post
Just saw this in the Burnside News

http://www.burnsidenews.com/Business...-to-Burnside/1

cheers
it would be interesting to know what wind study was being referenced

Last edited by JET; Oct 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 6:54 PM

Fusion Viva event

Quote:
it would be interesting to know what wind study was being referenced
Wind issue is way overplayed, but I heard that the developer will be presenting at the Fusion event tonight ... so go ask him.

http://www.fusionhalifax.ca/en/home/...AxOCZjYXRJRD0w

Cheers

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 6:47 PM

Case 16898 - Development Agreement

Slowly but surely this is moving through the approval process.

BTW don't know if this was mentioned previously but there is a twelve-storey residential project approved for this block as well (shown in one of the maps in the document).

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

BTW don't know if this was mentioned previously but there is a twelve-storey residential project approved for this block as well (shown in one of the maps in the document).
Do you have the link to the DA or any information on the 12 storey? First I've heard about it, and I live around there!

God, I hope it's the vacant lot beside Needs...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 7:40 PM
Honored Member

I just re-read Dmajackson's post - that there is an additional 12 storey proposed in addition to the one at the funeral home here.

According to the document, the additional 12 storey apartment would be at 339 Prince Albert Road, which according to Google maps is at this location - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=339+pri..._CvqDZ1GKFyy-A

Last edited by fenwick16; Jan 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Crawford View Post
Do you have the link to the DA or any information on the 12 storey? First I've heard about it, and I live around there!

God, I hope it's the vacant lot beside Needs...
It's Not the old Ultramar (vacant lot) next to Needs. The vacant lot also falls under the 30 foot height limit.

The property at 337 is actually approved for 14 storeys from 2006 if memory serves me.

cheers ...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 2:13 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Looking forward to both if built. Good neighborhood for these to help grow and expand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth