HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

307 Prince Albert in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 8:49 AM

Gaining momentum for support...

I hear the list of supporters as well as speakers is growing. Burnside News may be publishing a supportive article soon.
Seems like they're gaining momentum which is great to hear.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 4:43 PM

This is certainly good news. I was a little concerned that the former YMCA site recommendation against going into a DA would play badly for this one...but I think it's far enough back not to be a concern.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 12:27 AM

McCroskey boasted at council tonight that there is a petition against this with 1100 names on it, allegedly because of the impact on the paddling course. She, of course, is against this development.

Since they turned down the United Gulf proposal for the YMCA site across the lake I imagine this will be hotly contested.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 1:14 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
The hearing dates have not been set, but they are quickly approaching. From what I have heard it is a 60-90 day window, so there is more time to get to and sign the petition www.theprincealbert.ca/petition and tell friends about it. We need to make sure this building goes up on this site, not elsewhere.
We HAVE to keep these Developers focused on this residential project....remember this property is primarily zoned C2.
How many people have signed the petition in favour?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
McCroskey boasted at council tonight that there is a petition against this with 1100 names on it, allegedly because of the impact on the paddling course. She, of course, is against this development.

Since they turned down the United Gulf proposal for the YMCA site across the lake I imagine this will be hotly contested.
Who is "McCroskey" (do you mean councillor McCluskey) and what discussion could have place at council (i.e., a preliminary hearing ) ?

BTW I heard that Councillor McCluskey is actually supportive of the project but is being pressured by non supporters to turn it down (imagine that...). In the end she will hopefully have enough positive support to do the right thing and not get bullied by the negative vocal minority.

United Gulf was turned down because it's clearly within the 35 foot height precinct. My understanding is that the application was also somewhat poorly managed "politically". The Prince Albert is not within the 35 foot zone and specifically excluded as part of the 2006 height policy. Additionally the Prince Albert may be developed as of right for a number of commercial uses ... so what would you rather have, another Tim's, a 20 storey hotel, or this ...

BTW, I was by the Vic in Halifax earlier today and genuinely impressed. Dartmouth has got to get their act together and push for quality developments. There should be no discussion about this stuff - they simply need to get it done. Empowering residents to engage in a public process where councillors are elected to do a job is ridiculous. Government by referendum defeats the need for elected officials in a democratic state. Let the councillors do their homework and do their job - stop second guessing them with these foolish public hearings. Can't get the job done if the only focus is fear of being re-elected. Guess I'm tired of hearing "the people have spoken" ...

Peace ...

Last edited by ibnem2; Sep 21, 2011 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 1:28 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Gloria's just upset because that's where she settled in and built her first quaint little hut after the last ice age. Multi-storey buildings, running water, etc. have been difficult to adapt to.

Can't wait for her to announce retirement (maybe she has?) or get booted from council during the next election.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Gloria's just upset because that's where she settled in and built her first quaint little hut after the last ice age. Multi-storey buildings, running water, etc. have been difficult to adapt to.

Can't wait for her to announce retirement (maybe she has?) or get booted from council during the next election.
Gloria is not a quitter and will forge on to the end and then some. She does what she does because she too is a victim of a flawed process.

The only way to get real change is to get the right information to as many people as possible (luv the internet & skyscraper forums / hate community based hack print publications and main stream media). Human nature spurs on people with negative ambitions while the rationale element is content to remain silent. Get out and speak at the hearings. The nay sayers will always be there but it only takes one rational voice to negate 5 of the misguided defeatists.

cheers ..

oh and I saw this earlier in the post but wort repeating

www.theprincealbert.ca/petition

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 12:05 PM

Gloria is all for development, unless there is a good reason to not support. The Y proposal was defeated because of the impact on paddling on Banook, and most sensible people on here support that. If this proposal also affects the lake then it may not get approved. I expect that it is fine for the lake. Gloria represents her constituents very well, that's her job.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 12:28 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Where is the petition for those against? I was unable to find it, but I guess that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I did find an article about the proposal which was positive for a change and gave reasons this would be good for Dartmouth.

http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/Opinion...rince-Albert/1

I don't think it has been linked yet but the article is a few weeks old.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 7:01 PM

Petitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
How many people have signed the petition in favour?
I don't know the numbers, but from what I can see there is growing support for the project and good sustainable development for Dartmouth. There are so many areas that have simply not reached their potential and this builidng would be well suited for, it is amazing that Monaco has not lost its belief that this site is still the right one and taken the project elsewhere!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Gloria is all for development, unless there is a good reason to not support. The Y proposal was defeated because of the impact on paddling on Banook, and most sensible people on here support that. If this proposal also affects the lake then it may not get approved. I expect that it is fine for the lake. Gloria represents her constituents very well, that's her job.
Gloria stated that she does not think this lot should ever be developed. Presumably, forever, and for any thing. She also singlehandedly engineered the quashing of even a public hearing for development of the obsolete Brightwood golf course. How is that being "for development"? Did you mean "in favor of development that does not gore her partiucular ox?"

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 11:33 AM

Density = Business

Quote:
Gloria stated that she does not think this lot should ever be developed. Presumably, forever, and for any thing. She also singlehandedly engineered the quashing of even a public hearing for development of the obsolete Brightwood golf course. How is that being "for development"? Did you mean "in favor of development that does not gore her partiucular ox?"
I heard that Gloris is stepping down next year, this could be another feather in her cap if she does vote and promote this project. She feels that she was the driving force for the 35 ft height around the lakes, this way she could say that she voted for what was right!

If she does vote against this project, then the Prince Albert Road area "business district" takes yet another punch in the stomach. The land across from the site and immediatly adjacent are zoned C2 as well. They need to be developed in a commercial manner to bring commerce to this area, that will support the growth this area needs and the transformation. Without a strong local income base, then the commercial development will not take place. So instead of bring "world class paddlers and fans" to an area live with local business and amenities, we bring them to what????

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 1:41 PM

[QUOTE=Keith P.;5418760]Gloria stated that she does not think this lot should ever be developed. Presumably, forever, and for any thing. She also singlehandedly engineered the quashing of even a public hearing for development of the obsolete Brightwood golf course. How is that being "for development"? Did you mean "in favor of development that does not gore her partiucular ox?"[/QUOTE]

That's almost poetic
Brightwood should never be developed; it would make a lovely park/public space.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 2:31 PM

I have to admit I don't really know much about this area beyond the rowing course; I've not visited the area much.

When I get home to Halifax tomorrow, i will likely go visit the area.

If there is a commercial area, I wonder if it could be considered a commercial corridor? This shows my lack of knowledge of the area...

Whether Gloria votes for this or not; the policy amendments will fall to regional council to vote on. So she's one vote out of twenty four. The only thing I worry about is that if the policy amendments are passed but they vote down any rezoning or DA; then it just adds to a complicated process.

As for Brightwood - I can see some of it being developed for infill housing (if the golf course ever closed). I don't think that would be bad, but I'd want to see a part of the course kept for parkland.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:08 PM
we built this city

[QUOTE=JET;5419396]
Quote:
Gloria stated that she does not think this lot should ever be developed. Presumably, forever, and for any thing. She also singlehandedly engineered the quashing of even a public hearing for development of the obsolete Brightwood golf course. How is that being "for development"? Did you mean "in favor of development that does not gore her partiucular ox?"[/QUOTE]

That's almost poetic
Brightwood should never be developed; it would make a lovely park/public space.
Really, like none of it? "Lovely park".... who are you? lol

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:37 PM

[QUOTE=worldlyhaligonian;5419465]
Quote:

Really, like none of it? "Lovely park".... who are you? lol
Just a guy who likes development but also likes parkland. In the winter it is a great place for everyone to enjoy. In the summer it's a place for golf. The City could easily trade some land somewhere for a golf course. There's not a lot of open spaces left, and what a view.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I have to admit I don't really know much about this area beyond the rowing course; I've not visited the area much.

If there is a commercial area, I wonder if it could be considered a commercial corridor? This shows my lack of knowledge of the area...

Whether Gloria votes for this or not; the policy amendments will fall to regional council to vote on. So she's one vote out of twenty four. The only thing I worry about is that if the policy amendments are passed but they vote down any rezoning or DA; then it just adds to a complicated process.

As for Brightwood - I can see some of it being developed for infill housing (if the golf course ever closed). I don't think that would be bad, but I'd want to see a part of the course kept for parkland.
There is really very little commercial in that area, except for the donut shop/greengables and the superstore by the parclo. both sides of the lake are residential and paddling clubs. While I like the proposed development, it is residential, not sure where the commercial corridor part comes in.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 4:18 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

This is the commercial area of Prince Albert: The subject site is the ugly gray building just beyond the NEEDS Convenience Store sign.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...,,0,0.98&z=18]

These are some very cheap ugly residential units on prime land with a water view on Prince Albert:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...242.52,,0,0.98

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 5:35 PM

Quote:
There is really very little commercial in that area, except for the donut shop/greengables and the superstore by the parclo. both sides of the lake are residential and paddling clubs. While I like the proposed development, it is residential, not sure where the commercial corridor part comes in.
Right - Very little commercial (something of a no-mans land). Addition of quality residential housing would be an impetus for new commercial in the area.

On an earlier comment re council, if I understand this correctly the hearing would be by community council (McCluskey, Karsten, Fisher, Smith, Barkhouse and Nicoll).

http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/hecc.html

Cheers ...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnem2 View Post
Right - Very little commercial (something of a no-mans land). Addition of quality residential housing would be an impetus for new commercial in the area.

On an earlier comment re council, if I understand this correctly the hearing would be by community council (McCluskey, Karsten, Fisher, Smith, Barkhouse and Nicoll).

http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/hecc.html

Cheers ...
Ah yes, I see where I misunderstood. I went back to the case information from HRM's website and I thought there was a policy amendment involved - in which case the amendment to the Dartmouth MPS would go to regional council. But since there isn't, you are correct it will just be the Harbour East Council voting on this.

Either way, there is an appeal process...I'm not too concerned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth