HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 4:49 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Anybody know what's happening with this?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 1:14 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Perhaps it's just doomed to sit in this state forever. It's already been 16 years or so...

Source

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 1:28 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Perhaps it's just doomed to sit in this state forever. It's already been 16 years or so...
I think that Councillor Sloane would know the status since it is in her district. Maybe somebody could contact her by email and ask. I would like to know the status also.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 2:10 AM

A Cat D8 bulldozer could fix that place right up... ;-)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2010, 4:51 AM

I thought there was a permit through the site planning process of HbD with the greek restaurant involved; that would have residential above this?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 3:17 AM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 5:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This photo is actually of the back side of the Green Lantern building. Anybody know if and when they plan to move forward with a large-scale restoration and the facade improvements on the rear?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 1:40 PM

Quote:
This photo is actually of the back side of the Green Lantern building. Anybody know if and when they plan to move forward with a large-scale restoration and the facade improvements on the rear?
I realized I did that after I went to bed. I don't think that project has its own thread though. So it can stay here.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 2:05 PM

Planning moves forward for NFB site

By JOANN ALBERSTAT

Business Reporter

The redevelopment of the Na­tional Film Board building in downtown Halifax could begin some time in the next six months, says restaurateur and developer Chris Tzaneteas.

Tzaneteas and business part­ner Costa Elles had hoped to begin the project last fall or this spring.

“It really comes down to fi­nancing," Tzaneteas said in an interview Monday. “Once we get the financing in place, then we can move forward."

He and Elles own Opa Greek Taverna and The Argyle Bar & Grill , both on Argyle Street.

Their latest venture is a $13-million development that will include a 55-unit, four­storey apartment complex in the space now occupied by the film board building at 1572 Barring­ton St.

The National Film Board building, formerly the St. Ma­ry’s Young Men’s Total Absti­nence and Benevolent Society Hall, was destroyed by fire in 1991.

The proposed development, which includes 25,000 square feet of retail space, will extend over the top of The Argyle Bar & Grill and around a revamped Opa to the Farquhar Building at the corner of Barrington and Blowers streets.

The Farquhar Building, at 1558 Barrington St., now houses a Venus Pizza & Lebanese Cuisine outlet.

The proposed development was originally estimated to cost $8 million, but that figure has risen because the scope of the project is “a little bit bigger" than expected, Tzaneteas said.

“It’s complicated building in downtown Halifax," he said.

“It’s not as easy as building something up in Clayton Park or Bayers Lake."

The developers have been awarded a $100,000 grant to maintain historic facades under the Halifax by Design municipal planning strategy’s Barrington Street Heritage Conservation District designation. They have also been approved for $600,000 in related tax credits once the development is finished.

Tzaneteas said the developers have met with officials from Halifax Regional Municipality in advance of filing their planning application.

“They were very positive.

There were a couple of items that they needed to look at and give us comments back. We’re currently waiting for their re­marks.

“It wasn’t anything on the design. It was more building code, safety kind of issues."

When the project is ready to begin, construction will start on Barrington Street, not Argyle, he said.

(jalberstat@herald.ca)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 5:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

So they still don't have approval and also need financing? Is six months realistic?

Good to hear that construction will start on Barrington and that NFB isn't some future phase to be built after other renovations. Replacing the burned-out husk of a building on Barrington will make a dramatic difference to the feel of the street.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 3:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
This presentation has some Espace related pictures, but also interior photos from Morse's Tea Building and several others on Barrington.
ScovaNotian posted this in the Espace thread. The posted link has some slides of the NFB development that should be starting construction soon (based on the story posted by Jonovision on March 15, 2011). In the link the NFB slides are from page 40 - 46.

Last edited by fenwick16; May 23, 2011 at 2:51 AM. Reason: clarification

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 1:47 AM
we built this city

Great news.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 7:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 9:11 PM

This thing should have been knocked down a decade ago. It is a perfect example of decay in the downtown caused by misguided heritage sympathizers.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 12:07 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
This type of building is what makes Halifax great!

Not the Vic, not Waterside, not the Paramount, not Armoury Sq., not the Waterton & the list of nots goes on & on & on.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:24 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
This type of building is what makes Halifax great!

Not the Vic, not Waterside, not the Paramount, not Armoury Sq., not the Waterton & the list of nots goes on & on & on.
I think these buildings help make Halifax an interesting city but so do Purdy's Wharf, 1801 Hollis, Maritime Centre, the Paramount, Armoury Sq., the Vic, etc., etc. There is no reason why architecture in Halifax should have come to a halt 100 years ago. Much of the architecture from 100 - 200 years ago was wood siding; would that be acceptable in Halifax today?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:32 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The architecture of the building is mostly beside the point, which is that it's crazy that this has sat on Barrington in this state for 20 years. I really hope that this gets redeveloped soon because it is a black eye for the city that many visitors see. It makes Halifax look like a dump.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:44 AM

After the first ten years; this building should've been taken down if all it was going to be was held up and made to look this bad.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 12:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
The redevelopment of the Na­tional Film Board building in downtown Halifax could begin some time in the next six months, says restaurateur and developer Chris Tzaneteas.
I wonder what's going on with this? It's been almost a year since the news article announcing that the development should be moving forward. It would be great to see this happen along with the CD Plus redevelopment, but it has been stuck in limbo for years.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
I wonder what's going on with this? It's been almost a year since the news article announcing that the development should be moving forward. It would be great to see this happen along with the CD Plus redevelopment, but it has been stuck in limbo for years.
Like I mentioned in one of the other threads, the beltline here in Calgary had a bunch of projects announce they were coming off the shelf and then they ran into financing problems.

I suspect this might be the same thing - from what I'm hearing, lenders are now tripple checking things to make sure that loans they guarenteed are worth it (and in some cases making developers start the process all over again). I don't know if the last part is the case out here, but I've heard that happened to a couple developers here in Calgary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth