HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 9:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] The Vuze at South Village (Fenwick) | 106 m | 36/10/8 fl | U/C

This thread is for discussion of the renovations and new buildings planned for Fenwick Tower and adjacent lands.

Location: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...08041&t=h&z=18

Old thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152348

Last edited by someone123; Nov 20, 2009 at 10:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 11:45 AM

I was at the open house for this yesterday (my gf lives in Fenwick) and the NIMBYism seemed amazingly restrained. I think most of the neighbours were slightly concerned by the increase density and massing, but appreciated how much of an improvement this would be over the current state of affairs.

The developer did a good job of explaining the though process that went into the various design elements, such as the curved roof.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:43 PM

Would have been beter to have moved the thread, rather than create a new one and cross-link back to the old one.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Would have been beter to have moved the thread, rather than create a new one and cross-link back to the old one.
I would agree. It's a pain to have to repost the images again, and I can't even copy the txt from the previous thread.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 1:10 PM

Oh and in response to a question regarding the basement Joe sent me this to post:

hey jon.. just saw on skyscraper that someone was asking about the structure and basement.. fyi we're already in the process (since july) of a 2 million$ hydro demolition and re shoring the entire 3 underground levels of parking, by this spring the 3 underground levels will be completely brand new concrete structures with new re-inforced rebar slabs and columns (no additional columns the concrete is basically being blasted down to the rebar, and new rebar is being installed, and then the columns and slabs are all being re poured).. we already have about 25% of the underground parking upgraded..

thanks

And in talking with lots of the people there I was surprised the the amount of people who knew about this page. All of Napiers people were talking to me about it. They said they were reading here and liked the critiques and feedback. So don't think that we go unnoticed here.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 3:10 PM

Not sure why we need a new thread, but here are my pics again... taken at the Open House last night. These are much higher resolution than what's on the Facebook Group. There were a ton of boards so I just shot a few of the more representative ones.

To orient yourself, the townhouses are on Fenwick St. The arced roof over the mechanical penthouse "opens" towards South St.

- First sketch is looking from Fenwick Street.
- Second is looking from South Street.
- Third is from Fenwick again (note the townhouses).
- Forth is just an interesting early sketch. A small thumbnail from a larger board (macro mode is your friend... as is a point and shoot camera with a bright enough lens to shoot indoors without a flash).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 4:07 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Oh and in response to a question regarding the basement Joe sent me this to post:

hey jon.. just saw on skyscraper that someone was asking about the structure and basement.. fyi we're already in the process (since july) of a 2 million$ hydro demolition and re shoring the entire 3 underground levels of parking, by this spring the 3 underground levels will be completely brand new concrete structures with new re-inforced rebar slabs and columns (no additional columns the concrete is basically being blasted down to the rebar, and new rebar is being installed, and then the columns and slabs are all being re poured).. we already have about 25% of the underground parking upgraded..

thanks

And in talking with lots of the people there I was surprised the the amount of people who knew about this page. All of Napiers people were talking to me about it. They said they were reading here and liked the critiques and feedback. So don't think that we go unnoticed here.
That is a good point. Maybe this link should be sent to all the developers if someone were to be so inclined?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 5:42 PM

It's a shame that the writing on the sketches is so illegible.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yah it looks like my mom's handwriting (and shes a doctor).

I quite like the full rendering. With the new slanted roof perhaps added a bit of height Halifax could have a 100m+ building in the future (King's Wharf pending).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That's writing??
I thought they were just trying to be artsy...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 10:55 PM

Fenwick tower 'unrecognizable' under development plan
Last Updated: Friday, November 20, 2009 | 7:51 AM AT
CBC News

A conceptual drawing of Fenwick Tower. Developers have unveiled their plans to turn a 40-year-old concrete tower in Halifax's south end into a modern, glass-covered apartment complex.

Dozens of people came out to a public meeting Thursday night to see what Templeton Properties Ltd. has planned for Fenwick Place.

At 33 storeys, the former Dalhousie University student residence is as ugly as it is tall, said neighbour Rebecca Jameson.

"Our preferred option is to tear the whole thing down and have something really nice in the spot," Jameson said.

The building won't be demolished. But it will be "unrecognizable" after the $100-million renovation, said Joe Metlege, with Templeton Properties.

"The only thing that will be remaining of Fenwick tower is the skeleton," he said. "The entire building from the inside out will be completely gutted and it will be completely recladded."

As Fenwick Place, the building served as a residence for students at Dalhousie University. (CBC)The plan also calls for two new buildings next door, townhouses in front and a pedestrian walkway.

Leanne Yoshida, who works next door, welcomes the change.

"My first impression is that just changing the outside will be so exciting. But then all the other stuff they're doing on the street level is also great," said Yoshida.

But Jameson isn't pleased with the plan to have the building's facade extend out 11 metres.

"Because the mass of the tower is the single biggest problem with the building, making it bigger doesn't necessarily resonate with the neighbours," she said.

Templeton Properties has been consulting with the community for months. The company plans to file a development application by early January.

The project will need the approval of Halifax regional council to proceed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 1:50 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Moving the thread could have worked, but there was a lot of old discussion of the sale etc. and this way there are immediate details about the actual project. I meant to add a quote at the top of the post with the renderings but got sidetracked yesterday and they've since been reposted.

Some people are going to be unreasonable and complain about the project but I'm guessing that most will be very happy with it. Visually it will be far less oppressive with glass cladding and no height is being added. The street level modifications are things most people don't have a problem with, and they shouldn't because this will make the block much more attractive than it is now. In the long run this would be a good project even for somebody living right across the street.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 2:08 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post

thanks
Thanks for the information. I had to read your post a couple of times and refer to Wikipedia before I understood that "hydro demolition" was a method of removing old concrete. Maybe this is common knowledge in the construction industry but for those who have not heard of it, here is the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrodemolition .

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 5:21 AM

With regards to making the tower bigger (the build-out on the Fenwick Street side)... I was speaking to one of the Architects involved and she pointed out that the existing south wall is a big ugly blank concrete face. So the idea there is to take advantage of the south light and views by designing a glass clad addition. Not to mention presenting a much lighter and more "human" face to the street. This bump out adds more interesting detail and breaks up the verticality of the tower since it won't be the full height of the building. It's a good thing. The sketches also suggest perhaps a rooftop garden / lookout on top of this addition. Lots of great ideas.

The logical question would be, why not just reclad the south wall as is? I did not think to ask that question... but my GUESS is that this might be a shear wall. If that's the case... it's structural. The west and east walls are clearly just concrete curtain walls that can be re-clad at will. But the north and south walls may be shear walls.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 5:50 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
With regards to making the tower bigger (the build-out on the Fenwick Street side)... I was speaking to one of the Architects involved and she pointed out that the existing south wall is a big ugly blank concrete face. So the idea there is to take advantage of the south light and views by designing a glass clad addition. Not to mention presenting a much lighter and more "human" face to the street. This bump out adds more interesting detail and breaks up the verticality of the tower since it won't be the full height of the building. It's a good thing. The sketches also suggest perhaps a rooftop garden / lookout on top of this addition. Lots of great ideas.

The logical question would be, why not just reclad the south wall as is? I did not think to ask that question... but my GUESS is that this might be a shear wall. If that's the case... it's structural. The west and east walls are clearly just concrete curtain walls that can be re-clad at will. But the north and south walls may be shear walls.
From the information that I have read on this forum, a stairwell will be added to this section to add a second fire route. However, maybe I misunderstood.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
From the information that I have read on this forum, a stairwell will be added to this section to add a second fire route. However, maybe I misunderstood.
You are correct. I'm pretty sure there is only one stairwell in the building now, so a new one will be added.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 9:48 PM

Here are the renderings from the other thread.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Thanks for the information. I had to read your post a couple of times and refer to Wikipedia before I understood that "hydro demolition" was a method of removing old concrete. Maybe this is common knowledge in the construction industry but for those who have not heard of it, here is the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrodemolition .
The blasting: this week there's been 3 loud toots on a horn, followed by a boom. I can feel my desk shake on the 6th floor of the VG hospital !
Must be something to be right next door to fenwick. Got to love that bedrock. JET

Last edited by JET; Nov 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 4:19 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The blasting: this week there's been 3 loud toots on a horn, followed by a boom. I can feel my desk shake on the 6th floor of the VG hospital !
Must be something right next door to fenwick. Got to love that bedrock. JET
oh THAT'S what that is! I could hear the horn from my backyard on Walnut street, and had no idea what it was for (because I am too far away to feel the rumble afterwards).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 10:25 PM
Honored Member

It sounds like hydro-demolition is similar to a very high pressure water spray. I wouldn't think that it would make much noise or any load booms unless something gave way. I know that very high pressure water can be used for cutting through inch-thick metal (water jet cutting). Hydro-demolition might be a similar type of process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth