HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanGirl View Post
I'm wondering if someone can help me with a little history.

My sister worked in the old Zellers at 1595 Barrington Street (now the Discovery Centre) and is trying to find out the history of the building. We both now live in BC, and the only thing I've found so far is that it was built in the 1930s and was one of the best examples of Art Deco in the HRM.

Any information you could provide - or suggestions as to where I could look - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Page 61 of this document has the history of this building ZET

http://www.halifax.ca/capitaldistric...ingtonPlan.pdf

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 11:03 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This was the first I have seen of that document. Very cool history on each building. Thanks for linking it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZET View Post
Page 61 of this document has the history of this building ZET

http://www.halifax.ca/capitaldistric...ingtonPlan.pdf
Thanks for the link. That's a great document, with lots of interesting history.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 2:18 AM

An ill wind building
Proposed highrise for downtown Halifax could create unfavourable gusts
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Wed. Feb 17 - 4:53 AM

NEW DEVELOPMENTS proposed for downtown Halifax could make for some windy walking.

"Large buildings can impact the local wind velocities experienced at pedestrian level," says a study that investigated the impact a 20-storey building would have on wind patterns in the downtown core.

The proposed building is to be con-structed at the Discovery Centre site at 1595 Barrington St.

When air hits a building’s flat surface, it is deflected in all four directions, according to the report prepared by an engineer from SimuTech Group.

"Since the downwash effect due to south, west and east winds is predicted to be low, only the northern winds in the winter months may create downwash issues," says the study of the Discovery Centre project.

"Northerly winds may hit the large north face and deflect it downwards towards the Sackville Street sidewalk. The northwest edge of this face has a curved profile that may assist the northerly wind to pass around the building on this side, helping to mitigate the downwash. However there is also a concave inwards curve that may ‘catch’ the wind, directing more downwards."

The rounded western corner of the building will "more than likely cause the winds to wrap around the building rather than be deflected down to pedestrian levels," says the report.

In the design, the 60-metre-tall structure’s "lower facade protrudes out from the main building structure in this region. This is expected to provide some protection to the sidewalk below as it will redirect a portion of the downwash outwards, across the street. The buildings north of Sackville will offer little resistance to the wind and thus will not help reduce this northerly downwash effect."

The building, proposed by developer Frank Medjuck, won’t have any entrances on Sackville Street and the downwash might affect wind patterns on the other side of the street, says the study.

"The only other predictable effect which may influence pedestrian level winds is a funnelling effect due to south winds and north-westerly winds," it says.

"Since both sides of Granville Street will have highrise structures (existing and 1595 Barrington), the flow may channel and accelerate down Granville Street."

Wind could also create problems for another proposed Barrington Street building. Lou Reznick’s Starfish Properties plans to tear down the Roy building and recreate the Barrington facade with a 17-storey tower behind it on Granville Street.

"With the new building in place, wind conditions along Sackville Street are expected to be comfortable for walking in the summer and uncomfortable in the winter," it says.

The building would shelter sidewalks on Sackville Street from northwest winds. But easterly winds could channel along the street and northerly winds could accelerate around the proposed development’s southeast corner, says the study.

The study recommends wind tunnel testing for a detailed evaluation of the project.

"Wind control measures ranging from provision of landscaping to architectural additions and building massing changes may be considered to reduce wind speeds along Sackville Street," says the study.

"With the refined wind control measures in place, reduced wind activity can be expected along Sackville Street."

( clambie@herald.ca)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 4:03 AM
we built this city

Propaganda

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 2:40 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

More details about this in Allnovascotia. The developer has redesigned the building, reducing the height, eliminating some underground parking, and preserving the original support structure so that the interior can be better maintained. There will also be some upper-level setbacks and a rooftop garden.

The changes all sound very positive.. can't wait to see an updated rendering. I am hoping that this one will be residential. I would love to see this one go up with United Gulf in behind - I think the two would complement each other very well and they'd bring lots of new people to the area.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 2:32 PM

I'm glad its been redesigned. I was never a huge fan of the original. I thought the design was a bit mismatched. I like the sounds of the setbacks though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 7:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The original design looked like something they had kicking around from 1982.

The Trillium and a number of other projects were similar.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 8:22 PM

rooftop gardens are killer....specialy if they have BBQ's up there

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 2:43 AM

This was at regional council tonight because of the error in the grandfathering clause. I couldn`t watch it online...but Dawn Sloane had a phone number to call and listen in. When I called Bev Miller was just getting up - I couldn`t stand to hear that go on so I hung up.

Anyone see the result?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 3:53 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
This was at regional council tonight because of the error in the grandfathering clause. I couldn`t watch it online...but Dawn Sloane had a phone number to call and listen in. When I called Bev Miller was just getting up - I couldn`t stand to hear that go on so I hung up.

Anyone see the result?
Allnovascotia.com reported that HRM council voted 18-5 in favour of allowing them to proceed with plans. Councillor Slaone was one of the ones who voted against allowing it to proceed and warned developers that there will be another chance for these developments to be voted down in council. Does anyone wonder why there is so little development in the downtown core? Are the downtown constituents really against development in the downtown core? Since many are business owners, I doubt it.

If the provincial government approves the convention centre, will it have to be approved by council? It is already in the HRM by Design.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 3:57 AM

I don't understand, if it got voted through once, why would it not get voted through the second time?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I don't understand, if it got voted through once, why would it not get voted through the second time?
Apparently there was some glitch with the City's law department didn't forsee; which required them to update the MPS for some reason. I don't know all the details...

If I know Sloane; she probably voted against grandfathering the applications because she's fond of HbD (not because she's against downtown development). I know she was involved quite heavily in the project and working with staff on it; so she see's huge value in it and having people follow it. Granted; that's my guess, I don't know if that's right.

She skim's this group from time to time; so hopefully she'll see and comment?

With the convention centre; I think the Province is 'entertaining' HRM by going through the motions. That being said; if it's a Provincial project and HRM council votes to reject it - the Legislature can take steps to amend the MGA or the HRM act and simply approve it without HRM's consent. This happens when there are tiff's between City's and Provinces. The Saddledome is a good example - apparently the PC government of Alberta was not going to tolerate any game playing by City Council in Calgary and so gave them direction to approve it - of course they didn't; so the Province approved it anyway. As far as I know; to this date - it still holds a Provincial exception.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 4:07 AM
Honored Member

Councillor Sloane was instrumental in decreasing building heights in the HRM by Design. Based on reading through the HRM minutes, Councillor Sloane votes against almost all high rise developments. Just stating the facts.

It is one thing to be diplomatic, but I think that we should state things the way that they really are.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Councillor Sloane was instrumental in decreasing building heights in the HRM by Design. Based on reading through the HRM minutes, Councillor Sloane votes against almost all high rise developments. Just stating the facts.

It is one thing to be diplomatic, but I think that we should state things the way that they really are.
I wasn't trying to be diplomatic; I was taking a guess.
I don't monitor council's votes or check minutes regularly and if she wants to vote stuff down; well...she can (like anyone else can on council). They all have their reasons for voting as they do.

Ultimately - if growth comes to Halifax; the issue of who voted down what won't really matter; nor will the heights on HbD. If the market forces demand more office/retail or residential in downtown - then they will force the issue on council.

Besides; isn't there an election coming?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 2:17 PM

Quote:
If I know Sloane; she probably voted against grandfathering the applications because she's fond of HbD (not because she's against downtown development). I know she was involved quite heavily in the project and working with staff on it; so she see's huge value in it and having people follow it. Granted; that's my guess, I don't know if that's right.
It's not right.

She has opposed just about every single development proposal for the downtown. The Midtown, the Brewery, Waterfront Place, and now these. She seems to live in a dream world of believing that developers can make money by restoring architecturally unremarkable 3-storey old buildings. She has sided with the HT on just about every issue. She needs to be removed from council ASAP.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 4:17 PM

Well I don't agree that she should be voted out for not agreeing with our views. We disagree amoungst each other all the time - if we could've voted each other out; I'm sure I would've voted fenwick off this forum, as he would with me (for the stadium discussions - sorry; just thought it would be funny! ).

It is unfortunately that she's voted against these projects - but if her constituents agree with her approach and keep voting her in - there isn't really much that we can do about it.

I look at it this way: She's one vote on council that you will likely not be able to sway. If so; focus your efforts on those who you can sway. The fact that HRM council must be the ones to vote on the core applications - at least it's not like trying to get votes on Peninsula council.

Besides if every councillor that put up road blocks to certain issues deserved to be voted out for that one thing - then we'd have a whole new council! Hmmm...wait a minute...?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 4:37 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Well I don't agree that she should be voted out for not agreeing with our views. We disagree amoungst each other all the time - if we could've voted each other out; I'm sure I would've voted fenwick off this forum, as he would with me (for the stadium discussions - sorry; just thought it would be funny! ).
No, halifaxboyns, I wouldn't vote you out of this forum for that reason. I might want to ask you a question about zoning and bylaws at some point. However, I wouldn't elect halifaxboyns for Mayor of the HRM, at least not at this point - maybe in 20 years once you have more experience. However, I might elect you as a councillor if I lived in your riding.

I understand Councillor Sloane is more concerned with preserved the historic nature of the Halifax area and I commend her for her efforts. I simply don't agree with many of her opinions and blocking of development in the downtown core (that is just my opinion and I doubt that she or anyone else really cares about my opinion).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
No, halifaxboyns, I wouldn't vote you out of this forum for that reason. I might want to ask you a question about zoning and bylaws at some point. However, I wouldn't elect halifaxboyns for Mayor of the HRM, at least not at this point - maybe in 20 years once you have more experience. However, I might elect you as a councillor if I lived in your riding.

I understand Councillor Sloane is more concerned with preserved the historic nature of the Halifax area and I commend her for her efforts. I simply don't agree with many of her opinions and blocking of development in the downtown core (that is just my opinion and I doubt that she or anyone else really cares about my opinion).
Oh god I'd never want to be mayor or a councillor. I have too short of a fuse and no patience for people who complain and then don't come forward with solutions. If I somehow got elected; I'd be a one term kinda guy because I'd be standing up at council telling people to shut up and stop complaining lol.

That's why I work in planning - I like debate and proving my case to people, which is typically higher is better.

Calgary is fortunate (in most cases) that we have a very pro-development city council. That can be great when we get projects that are very good for communities and we really agree with them and the community opposes them. But it can also be very difficult in situations where a 'bad' project is being rammed through the system and we don't recommend approval and yet Planning Commission and City Council approve it. It all becomes a game of balance I guess.

We have one alderman here who reminds me of Sloane - his name is Hodges; he's been on council for a LONG time. Every now and then you hear him talk about the 'dudes' who pulled the 'capers' a while back - he makes me laugh. But he's quite reasonable. My group recently did changes to the rules for infill development in the inner city; in an attempt to get more files going through an as of right (non-appealable) process. Many of the communities were not in favour (except for those who didn't really care) and were fighting with their alderman to get it shot down. We met with Hodges (who I expected to be the most difficult); the meeting went really smoothly and he was on board. I was shocked. He asked a couple questions at city council; which I ended up having to draw a diagram using a highlighter (I didn't have a pen); but no issues from him. That's being reasonable. I still have the drawing.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 2:47 AM
we built this city

How many stories is the redesign and are there any renderings or drawings available?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth