HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Have you never taken the ferry in the mid-afternoon, in summer? It's usually packed...
To be honest the last time I used the ferry was during the last Tall Ship festival (they had a couple of boats over there). It was very crowded but I figured it was because of the festival.

It still isn't nearly as many people as Downtown Halifax sees.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 2:31 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
To be honest the last time I used the ferry was during the last Tall Ship festival (they had a couple of boats over there). It was very crowded but I figured it was because of the festival.

yeah hes right, the ferry is loaded every summer afternoon and its still pretty busy in the evenings.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 2:34 AM

Well Downtown Halifax must see no less than 40,000 people a day, I mean 20,000 work there not to mention all the in/out of town business people and government workers, tourists, shoppers and people going thru for one reason or another

When I used to live on Oxford I used to walk the MacDonald every Saturday night in good weather down to the Dartmouth ferry and come across. Even at 11pm there were times when the ferry had quite a nice crowd

I agree that more density is what's needed downtown and with more density comes more people. The only way to both make a downtown grow and to presrve parts of it is to make sure it has a thriving community of people who live there. I wonder how many people actually live downtown now?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 1:02 PM
Closed account

The Discovery Centre takes up quite a bit of square footage, no? Perhaps this would be an opening for a major retail tenant to move in.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post

Oh no, definitely not as many as downtown Halifax for sure.
And you're right too, the Tall Ships, or other downtown events - such as Buskers - draw more people onto the ferry, so no on a typical Summer afternoon it isn't as crowded as what you experienced during Tall Ships, but still quite busy.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 6:21 PM
we built this city

Yeah, and I doubt the street would be in such a bad place if it wasn't for the anti-development obstructionism by groups such as the HT.

I'm really excited about how many people this development could bring into the area.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Yeah, and I doubt the street would be in such a bad place if it wasn't for the anti-development obstructionism by groups such as the HT.

I'm really excited about how many people this development could bring into the area.
I hope the proposal goes residential more then commercial. furthermore i wish the roy building was residential too. That would provide a signifcant amount of people within the area living and working, and therefore (hopefully) spending.....

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 4:11 PM

There was a notice in yesterdays paper for the public information meeting for this proposal. It's to be held at City Hall on March 26th at 7pm with an alternate weather date of April 1st.

Will definitely be a lively meeting. I was talking with the owners of Reflections Cabaret and they knew nothing of this proposal aside from rumors. They hadn't even seen the drawings.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:16 AM

Some pictures I took of the site today;

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 2:12 AM

So I went to the information session last night. I was rather shocked to walk into Halifax Hall at 6:55 to be welcomed "Welcome! You are the only member of the public to show up!" Although by the time the meeting did start Sloane, Pacey, MacKinnon and Lehroy showed up. Made for quite an intimate conversation. The building looks pretty good. Although what they showed wasn't much different then what we have seen. There was however I rough sketchup model fly around they showed. And they modeled United Gulf next to it. The three towers make for quite a presence. Especially for anyone who will be walking on Granville. There was a pic in the paper today, but for some reason it's not showing on the Herald's site.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 12:32 PM

This project was approved last night, according to the herald:

Four projects approved
HRM council gives go-ahead to developments at Morris Street, City Centre Atlantic, Roy Building and Discovery Centre
By JEFFREY SIMPSON and DAVENE JEFFREY Staff Reporters
Wed. Apr 1 - 5:36 AM
Four downtown Halifax developments have been given approval while council continues to ponder the HRM by Design strategy.

Councillors agreed Tuesday evening with a staff recommendation to grandfather four projects that follow the rules of the city’s existing Municipal Planning Strategy.

Louis Lawen of Dexel Developments Ltd. spoke during the afternoon sitting of committee of the whole about wanting to proceed with two downtown projects — an $18-million addition to City Centre Atlantic over Pete’s Frootique on Dresden Row, and a $16-million, 10-storey commercial-residential structure on the site of the old Victoria Suites apartment building at Morris and Hollis streets.

Reducing the height of his buildings would make them less economically viable, he said.

"None of these projects are affecting any view planes," he said.

Council agreed that all four projects must be completed within three years after they are started.

"Our intention is to go full speed ahead," Louis Resnick, who is working on the Roy Building on Barrington Street, told committee of the whole.

Frank Medjuck defended his $30-million development of the Discovery Centre on Barrington Street, pointing out that council was letting the downtown stagnate while the Bayers Lake shopping area on the outskirts of the city is sprawling out of control.

Councillors also agreed that HRM by Design should include the site of the proposed new World Trade and Convention Centre, a couple of city blocks including the former Halifax Herald Ltd. property and the Midtown Tavern site.

The first reading of HRM by Design will take place during next Tuesday’s regular council meeting.

Council also agreed in principle that two heritage conservation districts — Barrington Street South and Historic Properties and Granville Mall — become part of HRM by Design.

Council has scheduled three days, May 5-7, for public hearings on HRM by Design.

( jsimpson@herald.ca)

( djeffrey@herald.ca)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 3:36 AM

This was not approved. The Herald likes to misconstrue the public and print articles with false information.

What council did decide was to Grandfather these four developments. Meaning that they will be considered under the current MPS and not HRM By Design. We will still have a public hearing for all four and possibly even a trip to the URB or two depending on the outcomes.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This was not approved. The Herald likes to misconstrue the public and print articles with false information.

What council did decide was to Grandfather these four developments. Meaning that they will be considered under the current MPS and not HRM By Design. We will still have a public hearing for all four and possibly even a trip to the URB or two depending on the outcomes.
Yeah the Herald did a terrible job! Running a headline four projects approved is completely misleading.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 1:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Looking at the plan details, I thought I spotted an error. Correct me if I'm wrong. The building height on the plans actually starts at 50 ft (from sea level elevation) or 15 meters, so the height should actually be 71 meters.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 2:45 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yep, you are right. They go by elevation to calculate the height of the building in relation to the viewplanes.

Looking at the plans and photos again I like how they are handling the Granville Street facade. They plan to put in glass curtain wall for part of the back and it makes sense since it's only brick right now. A glass canopy is also needed -- there should be a lot more of that kind of thing downtown. Not sure if they'd be permitted on, say, Barrington given the heritage theme that is promoted there but they are nicer than older style canopies and awnings.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 2:56 AM

When is this going before council?

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
When is this going before council?
They have yet to set a date for the public hearing.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 8:43 PM

As mentioned in the City Centre Atlantic thread;

A staff report released today about the gandfathered projects states that this one has a development agreement staff report currently underway and bvecause of deadlines should have a public hearing sometime this winter/spring.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 8:58 PM

1595 Barrington - History?

I'm wondering if someone can help me with a little history.

My sister worked in the old Zellers at 1595 Barrington Street (now the Discovery Centre) and is trying to find out the history of the building. We both now live in BC, and the only thing I've found so far is that it was built in the 1930s and was one of the best examples of Art Deco in the HRM.

Any information you could provide - or suggestions as to where I could look - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 11:20 PM

Someone 123 may know something about the building

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth