HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 8:16 PM

Interesting I checked the 3D thing about a month ago and there was only a couple (clock tower and provine house i believe). So they are recent additions.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 9:02 PM

Some More Tidbits

Not very big news at all but here are three more things on the docket for HRM (see HRM Planning website for more info);

1) DCL has started the process to change its lands in the north of Dartmouth Crossings to a development agreement zoning. As of now the plans are to develop the property in minor commercial and residential uses.

2) The process has also begun to allow commercial development at the corner of Kingswood Dr and Hammonds Plains (across from the strip mall),

And 3) Clayton is hoping to be allowed to have a drive-thru restaurant at the future corner of Southgate Dr and Larry Uteck (most likely a Tim Horton's or McDonald's).

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 9:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
And 3) Clayton is hoping to be allowed to have a drive-thru restaurant at the future corner of Southgate Dr and Larry Uteck (most likely a Tim Horton's or McDonald's).
That area is pretty weird right now. There must be several thousand people living there and yet there's no commercial as far as I know. It will make a lot more sense once they put in the interchange.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 2:27 PM

Are they ever going to connect this part of town to the 102? I have a friend that lives up there and another up in Wedgewood and when picking one up to go visit the other, it's very frustrating. I can see our friends house, it can't be more a min away, but it takes 15 minutes to drive down the hill, along the Bedford Highway, back up Kearney Lake Road, and into Wedgewood.

Terrible planning is going on up there, those townhouses on Transom are just the saddest thing and remind me of Cowie Hill townhouses, the apartment buildings are right on the highway (at least on Parkland and Regency, there's some space), and the road network seems incredibly narrow to handle all the traffic that will be up there eventually, once everything is build and sold.

Someone needs to lose their job for approving all this without holding them to some level of forward looking quality and road network.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesh111 View Post
Are they ever going to connect this part of town to the 102? I have a friend that lives up there and another up in Wedgewood and when picking one up to go visit the other, it's very frustrating. I can see our friends house, it can't be more a min away, but it takes 15 minutes to drive down the hill, along the Bedford Highway, back up Kearney Lake Road, and into Wedgewood.
Yes. The interchange is set to begin construction this year some time. The funding is ready and Southgate and Larry Uteck are being extended up the hill right now.

Quote:
Terrible planning is going on up there, those townhouses on Transom are just the saddest thing and remind me of Cowie Hill townhouses, the apartment buildings are right on the highway (at least on Parkland and Regency, there's some space), and the road network seems incredibly narrow to handle all the traffic that will be up there eventually, once everything is build and sold.
Transom I believe is going to be extended over to Larry Uteck at the interchange so most of the traffic will go that way. Once the road work is done up there it'll connect Kearney Lake (and Bedford West eventually) to the Bi-Hi, the Ravines, Royale Hemlock and Paper Mill thankfully. Bedford really needs this interchange.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:47 PM

Keep in mind that part of HRMs transportation strategy is not to build or upgrade roads to accommodate new development. They believe that will encourage use of transit or other means of getting around.

Yes, it is ridiculous, but true.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 12:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't think the roads in that area are underbuilt. If anything, they are probably needlessly wide. The problem is that the completion of the road network and interchange has lagged behind the construction of houses and apartments.

The transit argument is perfectly valid in general, except the [rapid] transit actually has to exist. Nobody who can afford a $400,000 home is going to rely on a bus that shows up 6 times a day and gets stuck in the same traffic they'd have to deal with in a private vehicle. They will either just sit in their car or not move to the congested area in the first place.

At a minimum it takes BRT-like service for transit to be something other than a mode of transportation of last resort, and it takes rail to really have an effect on development patterns. Unfortunately, HRM staff and politicians see rail transit only as an expensive way of dealing with current congestion problems.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't think the roads in that area are underbuilt. If anything, they are probably needlessly wide. The problem is that the completion of the road network and interchange has lagged behind the construction of houses and apartments.
Some of the streets like Transom are way to wide but I imagine its for future growth?

As for the road network right now its horrible. Both neighbourhoods only have one way out and many streets just end without warning. The good news is I explored earlier and Larry Uteck and Southgate are both actively being lengthened. The Southgate extension already has a hard surface down (gravel I believe).

Quote:
The transit argument is perfectly valid in general, except the [rapid] transit actually has to exist. Nobody who can afford a $400,000 home is going to rely on a bus that shows up 6 times a day and gets stuck in the same traffic they'd have to deal with in a private vehicle. They will either just sit in their car or not move to the congested area in the first place.

At a minimum it takes BRT-like service for transit to be something other than a mode of transportation of last resort, and it takes rail to really have an effect on development patterns. Unfortunately, HRM staff and politicians see rail transit only as an expensive way of dealing with current congestion problems.
For transit right now the Ravines doesn't have any available and Royale Hemlocks only has the 81 which is weekday and it only climbs up half of the hill.

I'm hoping that HRM will consider placing a BRT station near the new interchange. It would help move the Ravines, Royale Hemlock, Paper Mill and Bedford West when built. Besides the 102 is not very congested and if they go ahead with plans for a bus lane on Bayers Road it'll work even better.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 3:25 PM
Movin' on up

Question for all you Haligonians (is that the correct term?)

In the beginning, IKEA was rumored to have been eyeing Winnipeg and Halifax as new locations for their store. Now that IKEA has confirmed that they are going to build in Winnipeg, has there been any news in Halifax about IKEA coming to your city?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post

In the beginning, IKEA was rumored to have been eyeing Winnipeg and Halifax as new locations for their store. Now that IKEA has confirmed that they are going to build in Winnipeg, has there been any news in Halifax about IKEA coming to your city?
Lots of talk, no action to date.

They had a store here decades ago, but wasn't profitable (according to IKEA).

Certainly believe there is a large need for one in this region. Question will be if Halifax gets it or Moncton?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 4:37 PM
we built this city

It would be total bullshit if Moncton got IKEA before Halifax if it wasn't "profitable" here before. I don't understand why such a small and really unimportant city such as Moncton is able to get so much recognition from retailers.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
It would be total bullshit if Moncton got IKEA before Halifax if it wasn't "profitable" here before. I don't understand why such a small and really unimportant city such as Moncton is able to get so much recognition from retailers.
Simply because they sell it as a hub area with short distances to major capitials. Is that a good thing, no, i want IKEA here.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 4:43 PM

If memory serves the IKEA was in Burnside. But back then it wasn't such a big business park so I imagine if one were to reclocate to DC or BL it would defenitely do well.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 5:19 PM
Closed account

If memory serves me correct, Ikea has a policy that they only open stores in areas where at least one million people live within a three hour drive.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 6:06 PM

Hopefully they can make an exception because Winnipeg defenitely doesn't have 1 million people around it. Isn't there only 1 million people in all of Manitoba anyways?

Halifax has the 600'000 in the HMGC, and according to StatsCan another 200'000 in nearby counties. So thats 800'000 in a three hours drive.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Hopefully they can make an exception because Winnipeg defenitely doesn't have 1 million people around it. Isn't there only 1 million people in all of Manitoba anyways?

Halifax has the 600'000 in the HMGC, and according to StatsCan another 200'000 in nearby counties. So thats 800'000 in a three hours drive.
What's HMGC? I hadn't heard of that term before. I agree with the concept though.. Halifax does have a larger population base than the city "urban" and even HRM "region" numbers would suggest. HRM was built from the amalgamation of the cities of Halifax and Dartmouth, as well as the town of Bedford and the Halifax County municipal unit. In short, everything within the Halifax county borders. In reality, there are 4 growth corridors emanating from the city. The 103 corridor to the southwest, the 101 corridor to the northwest, the 102 corridor to the north and the 107 corridor to the east. Halifax county spreads well up the eastern shore along this latter corridor. Unfortunatley, it is and has always been the most sparsely populated corridor. The other 3 are more populous, but end up falling outside of HRM. IMO more people live in, (commuting to Halifax from) Truro, Bridgewater, Windsor, Lunenburg, Chester, Wolfville and beyond than far flung communities like Sheet Harbour. Most of Halifax county along the eastern shore is a rural hinterland. This is largely due to the lack of a 100 series highway beyond Musquodoboit.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
If memory serves me correct, Ikea has a policy that they only open stores in areas where at least one million people live within a three hour drive.
I've heard this stated as "policy" many times before, but i suspect it is not so hard and fast. Ikea runs stores internationally in smaller areas than Halifax. Iceland comes to mind, the entire country has approximately half the population of Halifax. More than likely it is a stock answer by Ikea corporate PR when they have no immediate plans for release.

Ikea has also broached the subject of experimenting with a smaller (or at least medium-sized) format. Perhaps this is what is happening in Winnipeg. If indeed a Winnipeg store is going ahead. Both Halifax and Winnipeg (and many other cities) have been down this road before. I just searched the Ikea website and found no reference to plans for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 11:37 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I've heard this stated as "policy" many times before, but i suspect it is not so hard and fast. Ikea runs stores internationally in smaller areas than Halifax. Iceland comes to mind, the entire country has approximately half the population of Halifax. More than likely it is a stock answer by Ikea corporate PR when they have no immediate plans for release.

Ikea has also broached the subject of experimenting with a smaller (or at least medium-sized) format. Perhaps this is what is happening in Winnipeg. If indeed a Winnipeg store is going ahead. Both Halifax and Winnipeg (and many other cities) have been down this road before. I just searched the Ikea website and found no reference to plans for Winnipeg.
Winnipeg's new IKEA will be the biggest in Canada. And since it won't open for another 2-4 years, I doubt the website will post anything about it in the near future.

http://www.cpheraldleader.com/Articl...aspx?e=1350908

Manitoba has 1.2 million, but Winnipeg services people from Northwestern Ontario, Eastern Saskatchewan, North Dakota and Minnesota, bringing the numbers up to between 2-3 million people.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Haligonian is the correct term

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 4:04 AM

I was wondering what is happening to the old chocolate factory;

Dartmouth Gate ready for more retail tenants
Value Village to open in June at former Moirs factory site
By BRUCE ERSKINE Staff Reporter
Mon. Jan 26 - 11:57 AM

DARTMOUTH — The renovated Moirs candy factory on Pleasant Street in Dartmouth could be fully leased in 2009, says Gordon Laing, president and COO of Southwest Properties Ltd.

The prominent Halifax real estate development firm, owned by the Spatz family, bought the Hershey-owned plant in 2007 after its Pennsylvania-based parent announced it was closing the unprofitable facility, putting almost 600 people out of work.

Southwest is transforming the 175,000-square-foot space into a mixed retail complex, called Dartmouth Gate.

"A significant section is open already," Laing said in a recent interview, noting that the Nova Scotia Community College has leased 75,000 square feet for its aviation training program. "It’s working out well for NSCC," he said.

The community college has a new waterfront campus across the street from Dartmouth Gate.

Laing said work is underway to divide the remaining Dartmouth Gate space into four fairly large retail units, adding that Southwest has already leased a 25,000-square-foot space to Value Village, which, he said, expects to open a new store in June.

"We’re in the process of starting work on the masonry, glass and siding for the storefronts," he said, adding that changes to the centre’s parking areas and other site preparation work have been completed.

Laing, who would not disclose what Southwest paid for the Moirs property or what it is spending on renovations, said the company is seeking additional tenants for the space.

"It’s coming along well," he said, comparing Dartmouth Gate to Southwest’s transformation of the former Moosehead Brewery in Burnside Park into Windmill Crossing, a mixed office, retail and warehouse complex.

"We saved it and turned it into something new for the community," he said, adding that Dartmouth Gate will have a similar impact in its neighbourhood.

"It’s adding to the community."

- DJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth