HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 3:24 AM

Has anybody been down Agricola lately? Because I've got to say the new building at the corner with North Street is really nice now. Now if only they would do something with the building next door....

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Has anybody been down Agricola lately? Because I've got to say the new building at the corner with North Street is really nice now. Now if only they would do something with the building next door....
Funny, because I was going to mention how disappointed I am with it. It looks cheap on the outside with some sort of faux-Tudor thing going with the design, and I don't know how anyone is going to get into or out of that garage door on North, considering the usual bumper to bumper traffic there and the fact that it is so close to a telephone pole that it makes the entry very tight. I can see it now -- traffic backed up onto the MacDonald because some resident wants to make a left turn into the garage.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
And the run-down former crack house two doors up on north is for sale. Hopefully someone will fix that up!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Funny, because I was going to mention how disappointed I am with it. It looks cheap on the outside with some sort of faux-Tudor thing going with the design, and I don't know how anyone is going to get into or out of that garage door on North, considering the usual bumper to bumper traffic there and the fact that it is so close to a telephone pole that it makes the entry very tight. I can see it now -- traffic backed up onto the MacDonald because some resident wants to make a left turn into the garage.
I have to agree with Keith. I swear to god that cladding is actually chipboard painted gray. If you get a chance to walk by, get up close and look at the texture. If that is the case, then the Tudor look is probably trim to cover the seams.. LOL. I will give that the windows are nice and big.. disappointed that there are no balconies though.. that alone would dissuade me from renting. I need a little outdoor space..even if its only 15 square feet!

Last edited by terrynorthend; Dec 23, 2008 at 3:30 PM. Reason: used "too" instead of "to" HAHA

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 4:06 PM

Okay well in my defense I was driving by so I didn't get a good look at it. But from what I saw it looked good.

I just really hope the fix up the building between this and the T&S Building. I do not like being able to look and see the base of the radio tower.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 7:11 PM

I got a better look at this today and I still say it looks okay. I'm reserving my final judgement until i see what they put on the ground level though.

Oh BTW this is called The Villa on Agricola and the occupancy date is February 1, 2009.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 9:10 PM

Interesting. I did a search on The Villa on Agricola and came up with this kijiji ad..

It seems they are being marketed as "Artists Studios with Gallery" if so this could be a pretty cool building.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 10:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Isn't Phoenicia Foods moving back into the ground level?

There's also the development for 5784 Charles at the corner of Agricola. Not sure if or when it will happen but it is a small four storey structure with a commercial space on the narrow Agricola side.

Hopefully we'll see the McCully Worklofts start soon and then a decent redevelopment of the Bloomfield site to top it all off.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
It seems they are being marketed as "Artists Studios with Gallery" if so this could be a pretty cool building.
Aren't artists all supposed to be starving? I wonder how they could afford to pay for new space.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 1:55 PM

News in the allnovascotia over dexel developments winning of appeal over its project near mic mac mall to build 2 7 storey apartment buildings.

There was not so good news mentioned in it in that since approved the building cost have gone up 4 million, which make one believe the buildings might be uneconomical to build right now.

Anyhow, besides that this is great news in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 12:35 AM

In this weeks coast there is yet another anti development piece by the regrettable Tim Bousquet. He states that Victor Syperek is planing to build a 10 story building where the marque is and then goes on to point out that this would exceed the 70 foot height restriction. Almost every week he finds something to pick at in the development world and he always maintains his pessimistic view. I have no idea why a supposedly young and hip paper like the coast would keep a douchebag like him on board...... he needs a serious whipping!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 2:06 AM

This is because the editors at the Coast are all in love with Howard "the duck" Epstein and Peter Delefes for their NDP ways, then decide well if they are anti-development, we should be too..

But rant aside, I agree Tim Bosquet is one of the most anti-development slanted columnists in the city. And he RARELY makes a good point.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
In this weeks coast there is yet another anti development piece by the regrettable Tim Bousquet. He states that Victor Syperek is planing to build a 10 story building where the marque is and then goes on to point out that this would exceed the 70 foot height restriction. Almost every week he finds something to pick at in the development world and he always maintains his pessimistic view. I have no idea why a supposedly young and hip paper like the coast would keep a douchebag like him on board...... he needs a serious whipping!
70 foot height restriction? and how far away is the trinty site which allows 19 stories?
What's with people around here, a 70 foot building is 8 maybe 9 storey residential building. Far from anything tall. Makes you wonder how we ever got to where we are at with some of the buildings we have.......

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 5:55 AM

I thought Victor was $.5M in debt. Anyway... cool project. I hope he gets the funding (if he hasn't already).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 6:32 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The height limits are much too aggressive and they encourage developers to pack in as many floors as possible (retail half below ground..), which ends up being ugly and dysfunctional.

I agree about The Coast. They want a city with vibrant culture, good public spaces and art, good local retail, affordable housing, and good transit service. That is great, except that they complain about everything that would be necessary to make those things happen. How is the cheap housing to be paid for? Who is going to go to the shows, shop in the stores, and ride the transit vehicles?

The answer for Gottingen is that there is nobody, which is why it doesn't have those things and why it needs new buildings. Mr. Bousquet should stop complaining and realize that new, quality construction is the best thing that can happen for that part of the city. The same thing goes for the downtown and pretty much every part of the core.

Last edited by someone123; Dec 29, 2008 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:47 PM

Hi All, this is my first post, but I've been a long time reader of this thread.

From what I've heard, Sypryk has sold the Marquee property to the person who owns that CANPARK and currently houses the "Gottingen Street Auto Corner".

The person who owns that piece of land built "The Fairmount" property at the edge of the peninsula.

Anybody else hear this?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesh111 View Post

From what I've heard, Sypryk has sold the Marquee property to the person who owns that CANPARK and currently houses the "Gottingen Street Auto Corner".

The person who owns that piece of land built "The Fairmount" property at the edge of the peninsula.

Anybody else hear this?
Welcome miesh111...interesting I haven't heard that.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:36 PM

Hi Miesh111...glad to hear from ya!...I to was a long time reader who just joined recently...welcome!!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 11:21 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesh111 View Post

Anybody else hear this?
Welcome to the forum. That is good news, if this property and trinity both happen, there will be alot more pop. density in that area.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 8:05 PM

I was just on google earth and there are now 3d models for the Purdys Wharf towers, the clock tower on citadel hill, the Morris Tea building, and Province House as well as the computer science building at Dal and the Propeller Brewery. Anyone here make them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth