HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 1:47 AM

Good, it seems every new development are condos, you don't hear about rental units very often.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Good, it seems every new development are condos, you don't hear about rental units very often.
totally, if i can remember correctly i believe Queenslanding is also rental too which is great as many people can actually afford to live downtown.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 8:32 PM

I guess this part of Halifax so;

3 sites left for new school in Porters Lake
Vacant lot on 107 top choice for $10.4m facility
By KRISTEN LIPSCOMBE Education Reporter
Fri. Nov 28 - 7:16 AM
The Halifax regional school board has picked three possible spots for its new elementary school in Porters Lake.

The No. 1 choice for school construction is a site that’s "on the road that leads from the 107 into the Porters Lake business community," Charles Clattenburg, the board’s director of operations services, said Thursday.

"It’s a piece of land that is vacant . . . and is available," he said of the lot bounded by the Highway 107 extension and straddled by the Trans Canada Trail. "It is the centre of the catchment area for the students that would be attending the school."

Mr. Clattenburg said another benefit would be that the municipality is considering expanding Metro Transit out to that area, while it also falls into "the development boundary for the Porters Lake community."

"If there was ever any servicing of the Porters Lake community with water and sewer, that would be within the service boundary that they would be looking at."

But while that was the top spot pinpointed by the board’s site selection committee, made up of school and community representatives, it’s not the only potential location for the new facility.

Mr. Clattenburg presented three pieces of land to the city’s recently elected board members during a meeting Wednesday night in Dartmouth. The members voted in favour of passing the recommended sites on to the Education and Infrastructure Renewal departments.

He said the second pick is the Sobeys property at Exit 20 of Highway 107, while a site bounded by Highway 207 and Shore Drive is last on the list because it’s "farthest away from the real community itself."

Both the second and third sites are outside the municipality’s service boundaries, he added. More details on the pros and cons for each site are available online at www.thechronicleherald.ca.

The new $10.4-million school will replace two buildings, bringing together students in grades Primary and 1 from Lakeview Consolidated Elementary’s West Chezzetcook location and students in grades 2 through 6 from the school’s Porters Lake location.

Back in 2003, the provincial government said the Porters Lake building would get a $4.7-million upgrade, but Education Minister Karen Casey surprised the school board and school staff alike in April when she announced the brand new building for all elementary grade levels.

Education Department spokesman Dan Harrison confirmed Thursday that the school is still on track to open in September 2010. But he said the province will have to pick a preferred site and still has to carry out environmental and geological assessments, as well as safety and traffic studies.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 9:32 PM

From the Burnside News this month;

• Sackville – A couple years ago the Burnside News reported on plans by StoneRidge Fellowship – Atlantic Canada’s largest Baptist church – to build a new home on land directly across from the Sackville Business Park. This area was once seen as expansion lands for the park, but has since been sold to private interests. Work is now underway on StoneRidge’s facility, which will cover six hectares and include an administration wing, recreation facilities for children and youth and a 1,500-seat auditorium in addition to the church itself. Future plans also call for a senior’s complex and clergy training centre on adjacent lands

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 3:08 AM

Just a couple more noticings around Woodside;

-The new lane on Pleasant Street northbound is open,
-The NSCC CBE is coming along, it now has walls up. I'll see if i can get a picture tomorrow.
-It turns out the construction i saw at the Old YMCA was related to the trunk sewer project not development,

And not in Dartmouth but the old Shell Station in Bedford near the chickenburger, sun tower, and Tim's was demolished this week. I'm going to try to get some information but judging by the fact that they took out everything inclucing the underground tanks it probably won't be another gas station. No matter what happens it will be small and insignificant. I just hope they build something new right on the curb and put the parking out back against the rail tracks. Something along the lines of Hakim Optical just down the street.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 3:39 PM

Dal's new sign

December 02, 2008
Dal's new sign

By Lori Lamrock

You may have noticed a flurry of activity on the boulevard at the intersection of Robie Street and University Avenue. Dalhousie is installing a new sign—a key identifier of the university in this prominent area of campus.

This new eye-catching sign will resemble the clock tower on the Henry Hicks Academic and Administration Building. It’s made from ashlar stone, limestone and copper, which is meant to represent the three different building styles on campus. It will be adorned with anodized aluminum lettering and will be illuminated with ground lighting.

The sign was designed by Volick, Mckee, Petersmann and Associates, with BMR Engineering as consultants. The construction work is by Coastal Restoration and Masonry. This project is being carried out with co-operation the Halifax Regional Municipality.

It’s expected the project will be completed this month.

http://dalnews.dal.ca/2008/12/03/sign.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 5:19 PM

Wow... is that sign ever tacky.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 5:19 PM

not sure if I like it

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 6:31 PM

Sweet another Dal sing for King's students to steal during frosh week.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 8:58 PM
we built this city

I don't know about the design, but it is good indentifier of where the campus really starts (although there are plenty Dal buildings farther east)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 9:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I saw the designs for the sign a while ago. It is a little tacky but I think that rendering makes it look worse than it would be. They're going with real stone and metal so it's hard to make it look that bad.

I am not sure Dal needs a sign like this but the campus did need a lot of work when I was there. I believe they have since made some improvements to the Killam Library area and the main quad. Another big piece would be to improve University Avenue so that the boulevard portion is more useful as outdoor space. This would have been part of the renovation scheme that was voted down by students a couple years ago.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 10:35 PM

That sign reminds me of the shape of Prince's Lodge on the Bfd Highway. It could be worse though. The only problem with only one sign for Dal though is there are at least three sizable campuses (Studley, DalTech and Tupper area).

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 11:23 PM

I kinda like the sign...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 11:36 PM
Salty Town

That sign has more quality than the entire Marriott Residence Inn.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 11:39 PM

I just reread my previous post and what actually meant to say was its not too bad of a design. It could be better but it could also be a lot worse.

- DJ

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 1:01 AM
we built this city

Copper and aluminum prices are low right now, I hope they hadn't aleady bought the materials.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
That sign has more quality than the entire Marriott Residence Inn.
Wow, what a suprise comment from you. Your probably not upset because the sign is not close to a heritage property

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 1:43 AM

PHP Code:
Wowwhat a suprise comment from youYour probably not upset because the sign is not close to a heritage property 
.....lol

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 1:46 AM

sorry, trying to learn how to quote people's text like everyone else does. Guess I tried the wrong one

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 9:20 PM

Just use the button at the bottom of the person's post that says "Quote"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth