HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post

Best of all a little beach and volleyball court wouldn't take up much area and could easilt be incorporated into the Queen's Landing proposal.
best of all would be all the femenita beach vollyball players in their Brazilian Bikini's.......

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
best of all would be all the femenita beach vollyball players in their Brazilian Bikini's.......
Lol ...

That's one of the reasons I like volleyball

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 2:49 PM

From what I know the reason it is like the way it is, is because that stone wall that supports the end of this little inlet is actually part of the original seawall from way back in the day before all the boardwalks.

In one of my urban design classes last year someone actually tackled this tiny spot for the final project. They came up with an awesome concept. They made a sort of step down stairs that went right down into the water and then in the centre was a raised platform that could be used for exhibits of performance. It created a little amphitheatre. But the best part was the interaction with the water. Because of the way the steps went down into the water, depending on the tides. The raised platform in the center would become a little island at high tide. It was an amazing idea. And a great way to get people to interact with the water instead of just stroll along 5 feet above it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 7:46 PM

^Your idea could work too Jonovision.

Really I just want some sort of place where people can interact with the water. The city paid millions for a sewage plant but there's only two beaches on the entire peninsula. While it might not be a beach at least some water interaction would happen.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 10:08 PM

I just want it to be filled in, it's disgusting... I hate walking by there, and the thought of turning it into anything other than park benches and hot dog vendors is nauseating...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 10:57 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I just want it to be filled in, it's disgusting... I hate walking by there, and the thought of turning it into anything other than park benches and hot dog vendors is nauseating...
They should widen the bridge and install a fence/cage underneath so that the small inlet is blocked in. Something like a non-corrisive chain link with a gate in the middle. With the inlet blocked in, some native fish could be put in there. Cod, flounder. crabs, sea trout and the big one "SHARK". Around the perimeter would be a boardwalk with a railing. Another bridge could span the middle so fish viewing could be maximized. From the shore side sink a bow of a fishing boat and tie it in so it is water tight. Large glass portholes would allow for underwater viewing from the inner hull. The gate would be lifted once a week and the fish allowed to escape. Local fisherman would be contracted to bring in a new batch of aquarium stock.

Last edited by Empire; Mar 24, 2009 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 8:27 PM

I just want to make it clear that what I posted was not my idea, but a classmates of mine.

I kinda like your idea Empire, well at least the concept. It sounds a little tourist trappy though.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 12:24 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I just want to make it clear that what I posted was not my idea, but a classmates of mine.

I kinda like your idea Empire, well at least the concept. It sounds a little tourist trappy though.
It is tourist trappy....Halifax is one big tourist trap.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 7:04 PM

Board saves St. Mary's, closes St. Pat's-Alexandra

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter
Wed. Mar 25 - 1:28 PM

The Halifax regional school board voted Tuesday to close St. Patrick’s-Alexandra School but to keep St. Mary's School open after a review and public meetings on the fate of the peninsular sites.

Members had debated closing the Maitland Street school by September of this year but decided to have a separate vote on the date of the closure, a move that ultimately gave the school some breathing room.

In a separate decision, the school board voted 8-0 to keep Saint Mary’s open.

St. Patrick’s-Alexandra serves pupils in grades Primary to 9. At its meeting Tuesday, the school board initially talked about keeping the school open but that proposal died on the floor.

Then the board debated closing the school this year, and finally discussed delaying the shutdown until 2011. The vote to close the school in 2011 was tied, and board chairman Irvine Carvery broke the deadlock, opting for the later closure.

Board members said they appreciate how important the school is to many families in the community, but the meeting also heard that lots of parents over the years have sent their children to schools out of the district.

St. Patrick’s-Alexandra not only had a declining enrolment to deal with, but "an image problem" as an undesirable school to attend, board members said.

An audience of parents, students and teachers heard that a new school is planned to replace St. Pat’s-Alexandra, but principal Ken Fells wasn’t optimistic it’ll be built any time soon. He told reporters he’s worried about his students having to adjust to new schools.

"None of the (board) members that talked up there talked about transition time, and what the transition’s going to be like for our children to go to other schools," Mr. Fells said. "It’s going to be very hard."

Saint Mary’s, situated on Morris Street, serves students in grades Primary to 6. Board members said the school has much to offer pupils and parents, but a couple of them worried about potential fire hazards inside the building.

According to the Halifax board’s website, Saint Mary’s was built in 1950 and had 110 students in 2008. St. Patrick’s-Alexandra was built in 1971 and had 80 students registered last year, the website says.

Howard Windsor, the retired civil servant who was a one-man school board for almost two years at the request of former education minister Karen Casey, had ruled that both Halifax schools and Alderney School, a Dartmouth elementary, needed to be reviewed for closure.

His decision was a response to the first phase of Imagine Our Schools, a long-term master plan for facilities prepared by Toronto consultants.

The only way to appeal a school closing will be through the courts, Mr. Carvery said this week. Any appeal will have to be based on how board members carried out the process, he said.

Alderney School’s fate will be decided tonight.

( mlightstone@herald.ca)

’None of the (board) members that talked up there talked about transition time, and what the transition’s going to be like for our children to go to other schools. It’s going to be very hard.’

Ken FELLSPrincipal of St. Patrick’s-Alexandra

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 10:51 AM

Alderney School spared
Board members defeat closure proposal 7-1
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter
Thu. Mar 26 - 5:43 AM

Alderney School in Dartmouth is staying open, the Halifax regional school board decided Wednesday.

In a 7-1 vote, the board decided to keep operating the site despite declining enrolment.

The ruling was greeted by hugs and tears of joy in a gym full of students, parents and Alderney teachers.

The vote to save the school followed a motion to close the facility, but only if two schools scheduled to take Alderney pupils got needed renovations done. The closure proposal was defeated 7-1.

School board members defended Alderney School, saying it’s serving the community well.

"You have a good quality school," board member Sheryl Blumenthal-Harrison told the audience. "Your quality of education here is exceptional."

According to the school board’s website, Alderney School was built in 1953 and had 100 students enrolled last year. Situated on Penhorn Drive, the small hilltop school serves a middle-class community.

Vice-chairman Steve Brine was the sole board member who’d proposed the school be shut down. A retired teacher, Mr. Brine said the board is coping with dwindling enrolment and aging facilities.

"Change can be scary and difficult," he said before his motion was defeated. "But it is sometimes needed."

The vote to keep Alderney open followed a board review of the school, along with two schools in Halifax, and public consultation.

Wednesday’s meeting heard declining enrolment has hit the city’s school board as a whole, but this part of Halifax Regional Municipality could be a growth area if a proposed residential development gets built.

Though Alderney students and staff continue to have a school to study at and work in, the district’s school board member, Gin Yee, acknowledged another closure review could happen. He said the fate of the school has already been reviewed at least twice.

On Tuesday, the board decided to close St. Patrick’s-Alexandra School in Halifax in 2011. It voted to keep operating Saint Mary’s School in the city’s south end.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:08 AM

Lower Water Street could become one-way

By JEFFREY SIMPSON Staff Reporter
Thu. Apr 2 - 4:46 AM
Lower Water Street might soon be a one-way thoroughfare for traffic in downtown Halifax.

"That’s going to be evaluated this spring," Dave McCusker, of Halifax’s transportation department, said in an interview Wednesday.

City traffic planners will consult with the public before any change takes place, he said.

The harbourside street runs parallel to Hollis Street, which is already restricted to one-way traffic in the southbound direction. So it makes sense to have traffic on Lower Water Street go one way northbound, Mr. McCusker said.

"It’s really a pair with Hollis Street."

Having two lanes in the same direction won’t necessarily improve capacity, but it could make it possible to extend sidewalks, add curbside parking and create bicycle lanes, Mr. McCusker said.

"In a lot of cases where you accommodate traffic going in different directions you don’t really have room for anything else."

Traffic planners have considered changing several downtown streets because some of them switch suddenly into one-way streets at intersections, which is confusing, he said.

Spring Garden Road was under consideration for change, but the city has abandoned the idea.

Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown) said she didn’t have any problem with the plan for Lower Water Street.

"We are trying to make parts of the downtown more pedestrian friendly," she said. "I’m always open to ideas that improve the downtown."

Personally I am all ofr one-waying Lower Water. As the article said Hollis St is just a block up and also not many cars head southbound on the road because of the diffuculty.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:39 AM

Agreed, it only makes sense, since Hollis is one way the entire length, that LW should be one way the entire length as well. That section where it's two-way always gets backed up.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 2:58 PM

It's not big news, but we got a memo from the landlord of the CCL building on Bayers Road the other day:
Quote:
"...Within a month we expect to start contruction on a new parking structure that will add +/- 550 new parking spaces to our existing 1,200 spaces. We are also redevoloping the existing parking layout for better effiencicy and this addition work has the potential to increase our parking by another 200 spaces. We anticipate these projects taking three months to complete..."

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:00 PM

There used to be a parking structure there up to not too many years ago.

Why would they need 1200 spaces anyway?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
There used to be a parking structure there up to not too many years ago.

Why would they need 1200 spaces anyway?
Because they put a 150,000 square foot addition to the 70,000 square foot former zellars space. Therefore based on a minimum 3 parking stalls per 1000 square feet they would be required to have 660 at grade. That is just for the addition, there is at least half that square footage in the existing buildings that requires parking as well.

needless to say, 1,200 is a lot.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 11:08 AM

A co-worker recently showed me the HRM Maps site.
http://www.halifax.ca/giss/index.html
It was new to me so I thought that it was worth sharing on the forum.
By using all the tools, especially the layers, you can bring up civic numbers, viewplanes, height levels (which would likely be updated when HBD is passed) and more.
I think it is great.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 11:15 AM

Simpson Hall coming down

Halifax News Net

By Joanne Oostveen – The Weekly News
The demolition of the old nurses residence at the Nova Scotia Hospital has now begun.
Simpson Hall, built in 1964 for students of the hospital’s nurse training program will be taken down to make way for four bungalows for patients who need support to help transition them back into society.
“This is good news,” said Maureen Wheller, senior communications advisor for capital district mental health programs. “Although not much is visible at the present time, as the process involves stripping the interior first, the demolition will be completely finished by the end of August.”
Plans for the demolition began in the fall of 2007 when Capital District Health Authority’s engineering department decided that it was too expensive to upgrade the building’s aging heating system.
“In the meantime, there had been plans to build new community-focused living units at the Nova Scotia Hospital site to replace some of the antiquated and institutional inpatient areas in the Purdy Building,” said Wheller.
“The decommissioning of Simpson Hall provides for an appropriate site, so the Department of Health approved the funds for demolition to make way for these new units.”
The four new buildings, which will open in spring 2011, will look like ordinary houses with space for 10 people in each bungalow. A soft barrier of trees and shrubs will surround the buildings, contributing to a more residential look said Wheller.
Wheller said Simpson Hall has been a landmark building in the Woodside area, surrounded by both residential and commercial properties so it was appropriate to keep the neighbours informed of changes in their community.
“This can only be good for Dartmouth,” she said. “Once the new Community Focused Units are up and the area relandscaped, once the Nova Scotia Community College addition is finished and once the new shopping centre is opened, the whole of the Woodside area will be transformed and revitalized.”

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
A co-worker recently showed me the HRM Maps site.
http://www.halifax.ca/giss/index.html
It was new to me so I thought that it was worth sharing on the forum.
By using all the tools, especially the layers, you can bring up civic numbers, viewplanes, height levels (which would likely be updated when HBD is passed) and more.
I think it is great.
That's really cool and useful.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:58 PM

April 20, 2009 Public Information Meeting - St. Andrew's Centre, 6955 Bayers Road, Halifax - 7:00 p.m.

Case 01252 - Application by 3234098 Nova Scotia Limited to
rezone 6581 and 6589 Chebucto Road, Halifax (PID's 40723363
and 00116525) from R-2 (General Residential) to C-1 (Local
Business) zone. More information...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 6:22 PM

I learned yesterday that the Dartmouth Sportsplex is finally actually going to expand. I got a look at the new floor plan and they are expanding up into the parking lot directly behind the arena section of the building. They will be adding 3 basketball courts in one large open area similar to the one at the Dalplex.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth