HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Roy Halifax in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:21 PM

I like the rendering for the most part but the front does look a bit hospital-like. A change of brick there would go along way for it to match Barrington Street.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggard View Post
is that maritime centre in the background?
Yeah, I think it is. It looks like this is for the renovation of the Bank of Montreal/Old Planet Pool building on the corner of Queen and SGR - although you can't see anything resembling the old building from this angle. Nice to see Doyle Street closed off to car traffic.

Would certainly be a nice addition to that corner - along with City Centre Atlantic addition and the New Library complex (if it ever arrives) - this would sure be one of the best - or the best - looking intersections in Atlantic Canada. Another addition/renovation to the old Royal Bank/now Starbucks building would finish it off nicely.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:56 PM

Regarding the Roy Building renderings... I have to agree... the Barrington side is pretty ugly and uninspired. As a designer, I'd go for stark contrast rather than trying to compliment. It looks like the Halifax Infirmary reborn.

I noticed they completely changed the glass on the back too. The "wave" used to be in smooth horizontal bands. Now it's in sharp vertical bands. The new pattern is maybe a little more interesting.

Nice to see the restoration at the Granville street level too with it's 'limestone' plinth. Although how much do you want to bet they're going to create it using that fake moulded 'stone' stuff that's so popular now.

Speaking of which... off topic... but people of Halifax... please stop cladding your historic wooden Victorian homes with fake stone. Ugh :-(

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:02 PM

I just read the blurb on that website. The front is apparently brick "for building code reasons". Maybe a darker brick (much darker) would look a little more modern though.

The back is apparently an "undulating aluminum curtain wall". Hmmm. Aluminum eh? I assume there's glass in there too of course. Hard to say how this would look based on a tiny computer rendering.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I just read the blurb on that website. The front is apparently brick "for building code reasons". Maybe a darker brick (much darker) would look a little more modern though.

The back is apparently an "undulating aluminum curtain wall". Hmmm. Aluminum eh? I assume there's glass in there too of course. Hard to say how this would look based on a tiny computer rendering.
Um... this is hideous.

The front is too similar to the base, and I feel like it's too tall overall. Yikes. Did I just say too tall? I'm not a ole, I swear!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Those renderings do make it look a bit better. Especially the bottom half of the Granville Facade. That looks awesome! I'm with you SDM I think the scale of the project is bad. It is too tall for that base.

On another note. I found this on their website.

It has no label. I don't know if its just a generic rendering or not. But I would love to see this project in the city.
Based on the details of the rendering i would say that is a proposal for the BMO building on Spring Garden.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Based on the details of the rendering i would say that is a proposal for the BMO building on Spring Garden.
That's right it does look like that. I like it, but I still want them to save the front of the BMO building.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Um... this is hideous.

The front is too similar to the base, and I feel like it's too tall overall. Yikes. Did I just say too tall? I'm not a ole, I swear!
Ya. Looks unbalanced.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
That's right it does look like that. I like it, but I still want them to save the front of the BMO building.
Based on the other two buildings we can see (Aliant, 2 story red stucco... and maybe a church steeple)... I don't see how it could be the BMO site. Also, what street would create that pedestrian mall be that runs beside the building?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Based on the other two buildings we can see (Aliant, 2 story red stucco... and maybe a church steeple)... I don't see how it could be the BMO site. Also, what street would create that pedestrian mall be that runs beside the building?
Doyle Street could be the pedestrian mall and the church steeple could be St. Mary's down closer to Barrington.

I just hope they fix up SGR so if this does ever happen it'll look at lot better.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 9:38 PM

Quote:
No, that's what Danny Chedrawe is proposing for the BMO on the corner of SGR and Queen. That perspective is looking at it from Queen St, across from the Port of Wines. In fact that is the Port of Wines in the far left side of the rendering. They have made Doyle St into a pedestrian mall of sorts (hence the bollards) and you are looking at the back and side of the BMO building. Right now you would see the juice stand that is on the plaza roughly where those 2 people in the rendering are standing.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 9:46 PM

Ah, I see it now, thanks guys.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Doyle Street could be the pedestrian mall and the church steeple could be St. Mary's down closer to Barrington.
Ahh yes... the view could be from behind the BOM building! Now I get it! Yes... that makes total sense. And I KNEW I recognized that little red building.

As for the mall... it would be really nice... but one thing I've always noticed (the few times I drive downtown) is that it can be very difficult to turn right on Spring Garden off Brunswick sometimes (pedestrian traffic). I always turn right on Doyle and go from there. But whatever.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 1:48 AM

They have been tweaking it. Before the glass back was curved and ran along the building horizontally. Now the pattern is more vertical. I actually kind of liked the older wavy version myself.

Edit: Didn't catch that we had spilled onto a second page and were moving onto a second new rendering. Looks like the new project could be interesting and there is certainly room to redesign Doyle Street... but if they're not going to save and respect the stone front of the BMO there is no way I can support it. The BMO is a beautiful building, is irreplacable and should be retained. Modern could work alongside it. After all, the Second Cup bit/Rogues Roost is already tacked on and BMO has made some tasteless changes to it (doors and signs). So I really hope that around the corner from that round tower lies the old stone front. To lose the whole thing would be a huge loss to the city.

Photo by me in winter from a few years back

Last edited by spaustin; Jul 31, 2009 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:40 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'll post the rendering again in the rumours thread and we can continue there.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 12:48 AM

From signs in the windows it looks like Attica might be moving in here. I think that would be great. It's encouraging that Attica is successfully building up their business in a downtown setting.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 1:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Attica was mentioned in The Coast this week. Apparently they will be using some of the Roy Building storefronts to show furniture while the building is in limbo, which hopefully won't be too much longer..

Those renderings of the addition are a bit strange. If memory serves me correctly, it has six floors on the Barrington and seven on the Granville side. I think the design of the addition could be better, but I don't think the scale is a big problem and in fact the upper part won't even be very visible from street level. It will be visible from a distance, but from that vantage point the rest of the Roy Building would not be.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 3:03 AM

I was down on Barrington today and Attica has already created displays in about half the windows. It's looks much better than it did with all that paper thats for sure.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
but if they're not going to save and respect the stone front of the BMO there is no way I can support it. The BMO is a beautiful building, is irreplacable and should be retained. Modern could work alongside it. After all, the Second Cup bit/Rogues Roost is already tacked on and BMO has made some tasteless changes to it (doors and signs). So I really hope that around the corner from that round tower lies the old stone front. To lose the whole thing would be a huge loss to the city.

defiantly, this building is an asset...I like it very much, and it adds a noble presence to SGR. I would support a tasteful and appropriate addition to it however.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 6:11 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post

Edit: Didn't catch that we had spilled onto a second page and were moving onto a second new rendering. Looks like the new project could be interesting and there is certainly room to redesign Doyle Street... but if they're not going to save and respect the stone front of the BMO there is no way I can support it. The BMO is a beautiful building, is irreplacable and should be retained. Modern could work alongside it. After all, the Second Cup bit/Rogues Roost is already tacked on and BMO has made some tasteless changes to it (doors and signs). So I really hope that around the corner from that round tower lies the old stone front. To lose the whole thing would be a huge loss to the city.

The design calls for complete demolition of this building and a cheap knockoff rebuilt like O'Carrol's and the Roy Building. This is much worse because the building is so much a part of Halifax and you will not get that level of sandstone and detail again, not to mention the replacement would be cheap concrete panels called sandstone like material. The plan calls for 8-9 floors so the existing structure could not accommodate the extra floors so the only plan is to demolish it. This is what happens when HRM doesn't care about quality heritage buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth