HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 8:49 PM

[Halifax] Nova Centre | 65-58-58 m | 16-15-14 fl | Completed

PREMIER'S OFFICE--Expressions of Interest Sought for Development Opportunity
------------------------------------------------------------
The province and Halifax Regional Municipality are seeking expressions of interest from qualified individuals or groups for a development opportunity that includes a new World Trade and Convention Centre as a core component.

There are a number of conditions that must be met by interested parties. Among them, the building must be located in downtown Halifax and it must have a minimum of 150,000 square feet of usable space. It must be able to host multiple large conventions and several smaller events simultaneously.

"This could be one of the most exciting things to happen to downtown Halifax in quite some time," said Premier Rodney MacDonald. "The existing World Trade Centre has been an economic engine for the city and the province, but we are outgrowing the existing facility.

"As we continue to develop the downtown, it's clear more convention space needs to be part of the plan."

Since 1984, Trade Centre Limited has contributed an estimated $2.2 billion in direct expenditures, and $1.6 billion in incremental expenditures. It has also resulted in almost $100 million in tax revenues and employs 98 full-time and 300 part-time staff.

"HRM has the best of everything convention planners are looking for, from excellent dining and a vibrant nightlife, to rugged ocean vistas and peaceful getaways," said Mayor Peter Kelly. "It's no surprise that we are becoming more sought after as a convention destination of choice; a new facility could give us the capacity to welcome to HRM not only more, but even bigger conventions from around the world -- and we definitely want that business."

All expressions of interest will be evaluated and ranked against a pre-determined list of criteria. A committee will then produce a short list of respondents who may be invited to make a brief presentation. The next step would be to issue a request for proposals from short-listed candidates. The request would require more detailed information.

The expression of interest document will be available within two weeks from the Halifax Regional Municipality procurement office, 3rd Floor, Duke Tower, Scotia Square, 5251 Duke St., Halifax.

The World Trade and Convention Centre is owned by the province and operated by Trade Centre Limited.

Trade Centre Limited is a Crown corporation responsible for six business units, including the World Trade and Convention Centre.

Halifax Regional Municipality makes an annual financial contribution to the operation of the trade and convention centre.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 9:37 PM

Thats good news. Can't wait until they release more info, like where they're planning on building it, height, ect

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Thats good news. Can't wait until they release more info, like where they're planning on building it, height, ect
I suspect they don't have a clue on any of those things. Hence the wide-open criteria in the press release.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 10:54 PM

Great idea, but it does sound all rather vague. There can't be that many sites downtown that could accommodate such a building. The only thing that comes to my mind is down beside the already new convention centre, cunard centre, or wheres the waterfront wearhouse is located.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 9:31 PM
Closed account

The seaport area would likely be the most practical site for this, aside from the Herald building. My bet would be on the Herald site.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 12:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There's already something called the Cunard Centre in the Seaport area. There are multiple locations where a full-sized convention centre would fit.

As mentioned, the Waterfront Warehouse site would also be a good spot. There's a site South of Bishop's Landing before Electropolis but I think that one's a bit too small.

As I've said before, I don't think the Herald site makes sense for a new convention centre because its footprint is so small, and at any rate the owners are going ahead with other plans to be released within a couple of weeks. Midrise mixed-used buildings are perfect for that area to go along with what already exists along Argyle and Grafton.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
The seaport area would likely be the most practical site for this, aside from the Herald building. My bet would be on the Herald site.
Problem is the herald lands are privately owned and the developer in not likely to switch to a convention centre

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There's a site South of Bishop's Landing before Electropolis but I think that one's a bit too small.
I wonder what would be needed to convert the old power station building (the former Electropolis) to a convention center?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I wonder what would be needed to convert the old power station building (the former Electropolis) to a convention center?
I'm not sure it is big enough for what their looking for. Also I believe Emera/ NS power has plans for that property.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 1:46 PM

Now that I've been thinking about this idea, one underutilized prime spot is where the Trade Mart now sits. It would be no loss if that were made into the new convention center site, and there may be some additional adjacent land available when the Cogswell Interchange goes away.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I'm not sure it is big enough for what their looking for. Also I believe Emera/ NS power has plans for that property.
Emera are working on their lands accross the street, not the station lands itself.

The cost to deal with the station is extreme due to environmental issues. The rumored cost for the land and remediation would be somewheres north of 15 million.Very expensive a square foot before construction.

Lets get realistic. This will be turned around, and we will expand the current trade centre into the metro centre and then build a new stadium.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 5:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, I've always assumed that the old power station building would cost a fortune to convert. A more cost-effective approach there would be to add on some new buildings in front or along the waterfront side.

I've heard that Emera wants a new office building (I guess they are in Scotia Square?). Presumably this is what would go on the Lower Water/Morris site where that graffiti wall is currently.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post

Lets get realistic. This will be turned around, and we will expand the current trade centre into the metro centre and then build a new stadium.
I'm with SDM here. Fred and the Trade Centre have been floating Metro Centre 2 for years now, and they have always talked about expanding the convention centre into the old metro centre when that happens.

I was thinking about this..If they demol the stands in the metro centre and take out the concourses, ie. raze it to a shell, they could build a lower floor at ice-level with a post and beam ceiling for basic convention space, and above it make a vaulted hall to the roof of the arena for an airy modern space..and that should give them an additional 120K sq feet at least.. added to the 50K they have now..its right in the ballpark. I'd bet $$ its part of Fred's master plan.

Last edited by terrynorthend; Mar 30, 2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Problem is the herald lands are privately owned and the developer in not likely to switch to a convention centre
I think this might of been in the Metro, they had an article on the convention centre and the owner of the Herald site said he'll probaby revisit his plans to see if a convention centre would be possible/better. I'll have a look for it online and post it if i find it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 10:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That's been talked about for years. I agree that it seems like the most likely final result. Of course, there's still the issue of the new arena site (somewhere along the waterfront? shoehorned on the Cogswell lands?).

I hope they spend some money to fix up the Metro Centre exterior.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 10:34 PM

Herald site eyed for WTC
RACHEL MENDLESON
Metronews - Halifax

The blueprint for a multi-use development for the Chronicle Herald site is nearly complete. But the developer says he’ll contemplate starting fresh if the property qualifies to house a new World Trade and Convention Centre.

“Hypothetically, if it fits with our plans, yes, we would consider it,” Joe Remia, director of Rank Inc. said.

The city and province made a joint call Tuesday for expressions of interest for a convention centre to replace the Argyle Street facility.

Following the announcement, Mayor Peter Kelly listed the Chronicle Herald grounds among several possible sites, including the Emera property, the Cogswell Interchange and Pier 21 lands.

The expression of interest document will be released some time in the next two weeks. At that time, Remia says he’ll decide whether to officially throw his hat in the ring.

“I need to see if it would suit and what the requirements are. Of course we’re going to take a look,” he said. “I think Halifax is a great convention city, personally.”

Redrafting the plans however, would set him back substantially.

Before Tuesday’s announcement, Remia says he had intended to seek a development agreement in the next couple of weeks.

“Right now what we have is a multi-use project, which entails retail, residential, hotel and office,” he said.

He says he expects the current tenants to be moved out by late summer or early fall. With the demolition permit in hand and an environmental assessment completed, the building could be knocked down while the development agreement process is taking place.

Trade Centre CEO Fred MacGillivray said Tuesday Halifax’s inability to accommodate large conventions means business has gone to other cities instead.

“It’s time for us to move to the next level if we’re going to compete with other convention facilities across Canada,” he said.

rachel.mendleson@metronews.ca

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 10:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I really hope they decide against delaying it because as I've mentioned the Herald lands would be a terrible choice. The downtown also needs some actual construction instead of endless low-grade speculation and planning of 50 different projects. The city needs some clear leadership and priorities. There's no way a convention centre, arena, stadium, library, ferry, bridge, office buildings, commuter rail, elevator to the moon, etc. etc. are all going to happen at once.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 10:52 PM

I agree. No delays. But for more selfish reasons. I'd love to see them tear down the Herald building before summer is over. I think I'd enjoy long evenings lingering in the SUNLIGHT on the Shoeshop's patio...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I agree. No delays. But for more selfish reasons. I'd love to see them tear down the Herald building before summer is over. I think I'd enjoy long evenings lingering in the SUNLIGHT on the Shoeshop's patio...
I confess I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Sue Uteck can get a bylaw passed protecting the sun view from the Shoeshop patio.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 2:47 AM

As much as i love the idea of sitting in the sun on the patio at the shoe shop (which ive actually done ) I kinda wish they could find a way to preserve some of the old building. It does have some merit. If they were to at least keep some of the facade on argyle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth