HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Yeeehaww. The virtual city seems to be coming a reality.
within the next 5 years, this city (downtown) is going to grow more then the past 20, due not only to us developers (obviously) but also to the modern thinking progressive attitudes of (generally) the youth.. keep up the interest.. and more importantly, COME OUT TO THE HEARINGS AND BE HEARD!!!.. also we should try to organize a voice around voting into office a mayor and councilors who share our progressive thinking for this amazingly under-utilized city.. i get so excited when i think of how great and modern this city is going to get.. we just have to stay focused!!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 3:32 PM

I am working on both the campaign teams for Sheila Fougere and James Stewie. As you all know Sheila is running for mayor. Her comments last week at the public hearing made me very happy. Her story about her first council session 10 years ago was with a public hearing for Bishops Landing. And all the people who were out last week against the tower were there saying the 7 storey tower of Bishops Landing would be the death of the neighborhood, and now its an integral part and has really helped that neighborhood. James Stewie is a young professional I've known all my life. He's going to be running against Sloan for the downtown district. If anyone on here is interested in helping out on either campaign, please send me a private message. We are always looking for new volunteers, and I'd love to have others on the team that are so passionate about development in this city.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:14 PM

Modern design and the City

I believe the planning group out of Dalhousie is organizing a "retail design centre" to promote the City's architecture and planning. A version of Toronto's Design Exchange would be welcome.

On another note. BRICK can be used successfully.
Check out the McCully Woklofts, nothing ordinary there.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 11:51 PM

Yes they are. My friends are heading it up for Frank Palermo who is in charge of the whole thing.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 11:18 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOJOE View Post
within the next 5 years, this city (downtown) is going to grow more then the past 20, due not only to us developers (obviously) but also to the modern thinking progressive attitudes of (generally) the youth.. keep up the interest.. and more importantly, COME OUT TO THE HEARINGS AND BE HEARD!!!.. also we should try to organize a voice around voting into office a mayor and councilors who share our progressive thinking for this amazingly under-utilized city.. i get so excited when i think of how great and modern this city is going to get.. we just have to stay focused!!
Any news about renders or what this thing will look like?

Cheers,

worldly

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 5:47 AM
we built this city

Would love to see some renderings/hear some news on this one.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 9:09 PM

I see that they have put a chain linked fence up around the property and have closed the sidewalks so it looks as though they are ready to break ground soon.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 9:30 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I see that they have put a chain linked fence up around the property and have closed the sidewalks so it looks as though they are ready to break ground soon.
lol we havn't even seen any renderings or stories about this. Definately one of those mystery developments. Should be interesting.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:03 PM

Sorry guys.. I got confused in the names and thought I was on the Trillium tread. Yeah I don't know whats going on with this project it would be nice to see some renderings.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wandered by this site back in August and if I remember correctly they had done some work on the old church, taking out the stained glass windows etc.

Since this is happening as-of-right the project could theoretically start whenever. I hope it moves forward soon.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 11:19 PM

They started tearing down the old church today. Should be gone entirely by Monday I would say.
I met with the developer the other day, and it sounds like a really really good project. They are still in the design stages, and are holding off for a few months with all that is going on down south.
The new building from what I understand will be of the up most quality. Unlike any other building we have seen go up in the downtown. It will be hotel and condo or apartments with ground floor retail. The hotel will be a 7-8 floor podium and the condos or apartments will be in a 10 storey tower on top of that.

I can't wait to see the final designs.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 2:40 AM

I'll hold off on my final verdict until there are renderings available.

A mixed-use building is defenitely what is needed more of in the north end thpugh.

EDIT: Can someone change the thread title to "approved" since this is an as-of-right development?

- DJ

Last edited by Dmajackson; Oct 18, 2008 at 3:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
They started tearing down the old church today. Should be gone entirely by Monday I would say.
I met with the developer the other day, and it sounds like a really really good project. They are still in the design stages, and are holding off for a few months with all that is going on down south.
The new building from what I understand will be of the up most quality. Unlike any other building we have seen go up in the downtown. It will be hotel and condo or apartments with ground floor retail. The hotel will be a 7-8 floor podium and the condos or apartments will be in a 10 storey tower on top of that.

I can't wait to see the final designs.
I'll reserve my comments till i see the final design, but fully believe this should be apartments and maybe some ground floor retail. The hotel market is becoming overdone in the city (there are up to 5 yet to go;UG, international place, salter street, Queenslanding,herald lands). Apartments gets the core what it needs, people living downtown.

As well, looking forward to seeing the proposal.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 8:20 PM

I drove by the site today and the church was all gone except for the back wall. You could see the interior finish on that wall behind a big pile of rubble. Hopefully they salvaged whatever was nice inside -- I never was in the place so I dunno what it was like.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2008, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I'll reserve my comments till i see the final design, but fully believe this should be apartments and maybe some ground floor retail. The hotel market is becoming overdone in the city (there are up to 5 yet to go;UG, international place, salter street, Queenslanding,herald lands). Apartments gets the core what it needs, people living downtown.

As well, looking forward to seeing the proposal.
I agree. it's almost like every single development has a hotel in it. the market will become saturated and a lot of these hotels will end up failing because there won't be enough demand.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 5:30 PM

I drove by this site yesterday and the church is completely gone.
Can't wait to see the concepts, this project sounds promising.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 3:43 PM

Article out in the Herald today stating the project is on hold due to the economic issues of recent.

Sad to hear this, however not surprised we are hearing news like this. I think we may hear more of this type of news for others, unfortunatley.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 4:11 PM

So they demolished the site and then put the project on hold? That's the kind of decision making that has left us with holes around this city (Birks site for example). The rules regarding demolition permits should be tightened to end needless destruction.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 4:31 PM
we built this city

Its not needless at all considering the site is moreso preped for the project to start. Because of the demo, construction will not be delayed further when the project is ready to proceed.

I just want to see a rendering.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 5:29 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
So they demolished the site and then put the project on hold? That's the kind of decision making that has left us with holes around this city (Birks site for example). The rules regarding demolition permits should be tightened to end needless destruction.
The assessment should stay the same after the building is demolished and then the lot won't sit as a pile of weeds for 20 years.

The entire demolition process is flawed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth