HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:15 AM

[Halifax] Moxy Hotel & The Trinity (5415 Cogswell) | 64 m | 21 fl | U/C

News out about a new $50 million development for the ex trinity chruch site. Claims to be an as of right development and will be going 18 stories and future rental appartments. However the article discusses possibilities of some hotel or office.

Proposed by Jono developments, which has little development history to put off such a large project, so not sure if it will actually get built

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:36 AM
You talkin' to me?

Where did you read about this? Sounds like a fairly significant projects in a fairly significant area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Where did you read about this? Sounds like a fairly significant projects in a fairly significant area.
Where is this at?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:57 AM

It's where the trinity church is on the corner of Brunswick and Cogswell. Just below the staples.

Jono developments. That's metledge isnt it?!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:57 AM

news came out about this development in the allnovascotia.com

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 2:41 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting. I didn't know that something of that height could be built there as-of-right. That at least eliminates one hurdle.

This is on a prominent corner and a good building in this location could go a long way towards improving the feel of the whole area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
It's where the trinity church is on the corner of Brunswick and Cogswell. Just below the staples.

Jono developments. That's metledge isnt it?!
Oh thats right..I knew that....doh..

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 6:45 AM
we built this city

I had to do a double take when I saw 18 stories, lets hope this becomes reality.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Project strives to connect
Parts of city need to be sewn back together, developer says

RACHEL MENDLESON

Joseph Metlege wasn't alive when continuous residential neighbourhoods connected north-end Halifax with downtown.

But the 25-year-old second-generation developer says his goal with the 18-storey, $50-million, multi-use development he's planning for the Trinity Anglican Church site is to re-knit the disparate parts of the city.

"We have a very segregated community right now ... So this location is a perfect gateway to sew the north end into the downtown," said the president of Jono Developments Ltd.

Metlege and his partner on the project, engineer Norman Nahas, recently obtained a building permit from HRM for the 55,000-square-foot site, located on Cogswell Street, just off the Interchange.

The plan involves commercial uses on the ground floor and a combination of apartment units and either hotel or office space above.

"We want to create a pedestrian-friendly environment," Metlege said.

As an as-of-right development, the proposal is exempt from the development approvals process that has kept projects such as the Twisted Sisters on hold for years.

The church selected Jono from a group of developers that answered the call for proposals last year.

In exchange for the land, they are building a new church for the congregation in the new Mount Royale subdivision in Clayton Park West.

Excited about relocation

Rev. Stephen Ashton says he's "very excited" about the relocation, which has been in the works for more than a decade.

The church that currently sits on the site dates back to the 1920s. But he says the congregation has been shrinking since the construction of Scotia Square.

"Our technical parish basically disappeared under a development," he said.

Incidentally, Metlege says monolithic, concrete buildings have inspired him to show Halifax that large projects don't have to be eyesores.

"Instead of pointing at the Fenwick Towers and saying, 'Look how ugly tall buildings are,' now people will be able to say, 'Look at this project, and look how beautiful we can make projects in Halifax,'" he said.

Metlege says his project is shaped by the yet-to-be approved recommendations of HRM by Design, the regional centre urban design study.

Although he hasn't seen the most recent plans, Fillmore says prioritizing pedestrians and providing an appropriate transition to the north end are key concepts.

"They're building a building that's going to be there for a long time. It's important for it to be the right building at the street," Fillmore said.

Metlege says a feasibility study, which he expects to be complete by summer, will finalize his plans.

rmendleson@hfxnews.ca
http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=105324&sc=89

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 2:41 PM

Great news! Metledge is a very strong voice at all of the HRM by Design forums and he truly cares about this city. I'm very excited to see what this looks like. I have a feeling it will be something wonderfully refreshing for this city.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 5:49 PM
Closed account

Hopefully since this is an "as-of-right development" it will move along fairly quickly once HRMbydesign is adopted by council and Metlege finishes his feasibility study.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself here, but wouldn't it be spectacular to see two or three high rise cranes in downtown Halifax at the same time? (United Gulf 1 & 2 plus this)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 7:19 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
Hopefully since this is an "as-of-right development" it will move along fairly quickly once HRMbydesign is adopted by council and Metlege finishes his feasibility study.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself here, but wouldn't it be spectacular to see two or three high rise cranes in downtown Halifax at the same time? (United Gulf 1 & 2 plus this)
It should move quite quickly without any blockades from the public, council, urb, or anyone else who could get in the way (thank god).

And your right, that would be spectacular. I actually smirked just with the vision in my head

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 8:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There could be more than two since there is also the Centennial development and maybe some other office development will happen.

Either way, this development sounds very promising. The developers seem aware of good urban design, etc. and as-of-right developments can proceed very quickly.

This aerial shows the site pretty well:

Source

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 11:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
It should move quite quickly without any blockades from the public, council, urb, or anyone else who could get in the way (thank god).
God help this city if Pacey and the Heritage posse try to get the church registered as a heritage building. Unlikely of course, but I'll shut up before I jinx anything.

Anyway, I found another article that gives more background into the church's situation, in case anybody is interested: http://www.anglicanplanet.net/TAPCanada0711a.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
God help this city if Pacey and the Heritage posse try to get the church registered as a heritage building. Unlikely of course, but I'll shut up before I jinx anything.
Article in the current Frank Magazine discusses how the Heritage Trust is having internal problems. Alan Parish has quit the group and others are withdrawing support. Attributed to their ridiculous stand on the United Gulf project and subsequent appeal which was very badly handled. Apparently the Paceys are the main people involved with the group now.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 11:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

As far as I know there's no legal way for the Heritage Trust to prevent this development. Heritage registration only happens with the property owner's permission and only new development agreements can be appealed.

It is important to have organizations like the Heritage Trust but they should be working on the actual preservation of historic buildings.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 11:55 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Article in the current Frank Magazine discusses how the Heritage Trust is having internal problems. Alan Parish has quit the group and others are withdrawing support. Attributed to their ridiculous stand on the United Gulf project and subsequent appeal which was very badly handled. Apparently the Paceys are the main people involved with the group now.
I hate to say its a good thing that the people who are 'supposed' (and I don't use that word lightly) to protect our historical landmarks are disbanding at the seams, but in Halifax's case, it is.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 12:13 AM

I was discussing HRM by Design with Andy Fillmore the other day and he said their private consultations and sessions with the Heritage Trust were quite successful at so called "converting" a lot of the people on that side. Not the main people like the Paceys (argh) but many others.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 12:29 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
As far as I know there's no legal way for the Heritage Trust to prevent this development. Heritage registration only happens with the property owner's permission and only new development agreements can be appealed.
Fair enough then. Hopefully this proposal will have few hurtles, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is important to have organizations like the Heritage Trust but they should be working on the actual preservation of historic buildings.
Of course. Its just that the United Gulf fiasco has left a bad taste in many mouths for the HT. I'm glad to hear HRMbydesign has converted some people.

Anywho, is this project definitely going to include rental apartments and not condos? That is also a nice change for once. It would certainly be the tallest apartment building built in the area in some time.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 12:32 AM

Someone shoot Sloane, i heard a comment that she wished the developers to provide a few floors for low income housing. This lady has got to go

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth