HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Does he plan to start getting approvals and so forth or is this going to continue to be in limbo?

What else is required for this to proceed? Federal and municipal funding? It's not even really clear what the scope of this project is at this point.
From my understanding the public porition is delayed, and the private is what is proceeding (hotel/office building). I believe through articles in the past the project intends to be submitted through HRM by design in 2011.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 11:40 PM

The old brick (BioScience) building on this site was supposed to come down this fall. I'm surprised that this wasn't done yet to turn it into parking.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 3:55 PM

Good to see some "progress" here, hopefully this'll get things moving a bit quicker.

Demolition tender starts waterfront plan
REMO ZACCAGNA
thechronicleherald.ca
January 13, 2012 - 7:18pm

"The first step in the $190-million Queen’s Landing development project on the waterfront is underway.

The Waterfront Development Corp. launched a tender process on Friday for the demolition of the BioNova building at 1721 Lower Water St.

The building was vacated by Innovacorp’s BioScience Enterprise Centre, which moved closer to Dalhousie University last spring. It sits on land that will be part of the $70-million private portion of the Queen’s Landing development on the waterfront between Sackville Landing and Cable Wharf.

..."

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...aterfront-plan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Good! This'll help get the ball rollin.

It'll be quite the day in Halifax to see the entire waterfront developed, as opposed to vacant lots and surface parking.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 8:45 PM

is there a new web site for this project? The one posted at the begining does not work??

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 4:46 PM

The tender must have been awarded:

http://my-waterfront.ca/cms/wp-conte...e-Feb10-12.pdf

WDCL is closing the "Queen's Landing" parking lot (1707 Lower Water Street)for demolition of the former BioScience building. According to the notice it was closed last night and should remain closed for 6-8 weeks

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
The tender must have been awarded:

http://my-waterfront.ca/cms/wp-conte...e-Feb10-12.pdf

WDCL is closing the "Queen's Landing" parking lot (1707 Lower Water Street)for demolition of the former BioScience building. According to the notice it was closed last night and should remain closed for 6-8 weeks
A fence is going up this afternoon.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 12:02 AM
積屍氣冥界波

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
A fence is going up this afternoon.
Here it is:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:33 AM
Honored Member

Is this the building that will be demolished soon?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:45 AM
BANNED

^
Sure is!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:56 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Maybe we'll get lucky and somehow the Law Courts building will also come down.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 2:12 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Maybe we'll get lucky and somehow the Law Courts building will also come down.
I hope not, I actually like the Law Courts building. Although it is not very tall, it is a dominating building on the waterfront, as a Law Courts building should be. What is not to like? Here is the Bing Maps link.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I hope not, I actually like the Law Courts building. Although it is not very tall, it is a dominating building on the waterfront, as a Law Courts building should be. What is not to like? Here is the Bing Maps link.
They're not a bad building, but I don't like the way they block the continuity running all the way down Duke Street down to the water, unlike the clear view you have down George Street/Carmichael Street

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 6:37 AM

restore the view

Maybe we should start a new group to 'Restore The View'. We can tear down all those buildings that have reduced our view of the water.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 7:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think it's nice to have a mix where some streets have water views and others terminate with buildings. I really like how Purdy's Wharf is visible at the end of Bedford Row. It would be great to have a similar view down a couple of other streets.

This discussion reminds me of the cool plans that Breakhouse and some other design/architectural firms created for the Cable Wharf area at the foot of George Street:

Source

In the Cable Wharf case they chose to carefully preserve the view down George and frame it with new buildings. I hope this will not be just another shelved plan because it could add a lot of interest and a modern feel to this important part of the waterfront and would tie in very well with an eventual Queen's Landing development. It includes a couple of modest buildings that should not be overly challenging to get off the ground.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:44 AM
we built this city

Are there any current renderings of this development?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:54 AM
we built this city

Also, is Armour going to be able to handle Waterside and this at the same time?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 3:43 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Also, is Armour going to be able to handle Waterside and this at the same time?
I think I remember him saying that he expected Queen's landing to still be years out, in particular if both Waterside and Nova Centre go up.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 8:18 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I think I remember him saying that he expected Queen's landing to still be years out, in particular if both Waterside and Nova Centre go up.
That makes sense. On top of Waterside and the Nova Centre, the NSP building freed up space and the TD reno is likely to move forward. I am not very worried about the prospect of waiting a few extra years for Queen's Landing because downtown Halifax is getting too many new buildings!

I wish somebody would try to develop some mid-sized residential buildings in the old downtown core. I guess the Discovery Centre and Alexander more or less fit the bill. United Gulf would have been perfect had it actually been built. It is sad because the lack of residents downtown is a big part of why retail along Barrington isn't very successful, and there's a lot of demand for apartments, but there seems to be some sort of disconnect. High land prices and height restrictions probably have something to do with it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 2:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There was an article tonight about Queen's Landing. The development has been broken down into separate public and private components. One public component, a $50M naval memorial hall that would include permanent space for the HMCS Sackville, is being planned for 4-5 years in the future. New renderings should be released for the private component of the development around the end of 2012 or beginning of 2013.

I'm not sure what the story is for the Cable Wharf area but I read something about an upcoming expansion for Nova Scotia Crystal. I guess that could be a part of a new building for that area. It wouldn't take much work to turn that into a great part of the waterfront -- there are already lots of nice features there to build off of.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth