HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollistreet View Post
It is for the law firm Stewart McKelvey
Is it a helipad? I really can't tell from the angles above.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It boggles the mind to think that pathway is the main route for thousands of cargo containers to leave the Port of Halifax.
The rail line is the main route. The container terminal has been there since 1969 and Lower Water Street was a whole lot different; Irving Oil terminal, National Sea Products fish processing plant - the stench was so strong we could smell it in Dartmouth. The trucks will be travelling the route for quite some,time unless Ottawa and the province find a magic pot of money. Mike Savage had an office down there when he worked for Irving Oil.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Is it a helipad? I really can't tell from the angles above.
No. It’s an entertainment area with a full kitchen for firm functions.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollistreet View Post
No. It’s an entertainment area with a full kitchen for firm functions.
Your exorbitant legal fees at work.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 7:10 PM
Halifax Promoter!

http://canadianlodgingnews.com/openi...ph-collection/
HALIFAX — Marriott International, Inc. has announced a deal to bring its Autograph Collection brand to Halifax, Nova Scotia with a 110-room hotel to be called MUIR, Autograph Collection. The property’s developer, The Armour Group Limited, expects to open the hotel in spring 2021.

The five-storey hotel is slated to open as part of Queen’s Marque, a $200-million mixed-use development in Halifax’s historic waterfront area. The property will include a premium restaurant and lobby bar, a 1,000 square-foot event gallery, and access to an 8,000 square-foot wellness centre equipped with an array of fitness equipment, hydrotherapy and cold plunge pools, and a halotherapy salt room.

Paul Loehr.
“We’re delighted to be working with The Armour Group to open our first Autograph Collection hotel in Nova Scotia, in the much loved city of Halifax – a destination where domestic and international travellers are increasingly coming to work and play,” said Paul Loehr, regional vice-president for development, Canada, Marriott International.

“From our first meeting with Scott [Armour McCrea, CEO, The Armour Group Limited] and his team, we were impressed with their vision, commitment to quality and passion to deliver an extraordinary project for Halifax. This is also a ‘one-of-a-kind’ site with direct frontage on the water in the heart of downtown. Lastly, we loved the overall concept of Queen’s Marque, which in addition to the hotel includes residential apartments, offices, restaurants and beautiful outdoor spaces for the public to enjoy – you could envision Queen’s Marque becoming the centerpiece of the city and a ‘must see’ destination for anyone travelling to Halifax.”

Loehr added that the property will be a perfect fit for the Autograph Collection. “The Autograph Collection consumer is driven by the desire for unique and enriching experiences,” he said. “They seek high quality, thoughtful service and attention to detail that’s woven throughout the hotel experience. This is what MUIR, Autograph Collection will deliver – the hotel will pay tribute to the unique heritage and character of Halifax and Nova Scotia. Everything from the architecture to the construction materials to the design will reflect the rich history of the region.”

“We are very pleased to collaborate with Marriott International to create a new, premium destination in the heart of Halifax,” said Armour McCrea. “Our RFP process was extensive. We looked for an affinity partner whose brand aligned with our vision for MUIR. The Autograph Collection brand stood out because of our shared commitment to creating a truly unique experience that delivered a distinct sense of place.

“We are trying to create something that offers great service to the corporate customer, plus authenticity of place, uniqueness of design and culinary experiences,” said Armour McCrea. “We are satisfied with the quality of the Autograph Collection hotels, including those that are being added to the pipeline. We were impressed by the professionalism and care Marriott has shown with the hotels and their customers.

“We also decided to partner with an international hotel company because of the benefits in terms of reservations, the loyalty program, and back- of-the-house support,” he said.

The name, MUIR, is not only a common surname in Nova Scotia, but it a Gaelic word meaning “sea” or “by the sea.” “Nova Scotia is shaped by the sea; you’re never more than 70 kilometres from the sea in Nova Scotia,” Armour McCrea said. “It spoke to some of the key elements of what we are trying to deliver — something that is born of this place, speaks to Maritimers and is genuine.”

Scott Armour McCrea.
The Queen’s Marque mixed-use project will also include 142 luxury leased residences, 50,000 square-feet of premium retail and restaurant space, 120,000 square-feet of office space and 2.5-acres of public space that will feature a central plaza, an amphitheater and an extensive public art collection.

Construction of the project is largely on schedule, said Armour McCrae. The hotel has been delayed, but due to contractor concerns, not COVID-19. The office building opened in March; parts of the public areas are now open; the residences should open in September; more sections will open up during 2020; and the hotel and its significant food and beverage component are scheduled to open in late spring 2021. Construction on the whole project should wrap up by late summer or early fall of 2021.

Once open, MUIR will join the Autograph Collection’s diverse and dynamic global portfolio of nearly 200 inspiring, distinctive hotels carefully crafted with vision and passion, making each hotel singular and special.

Everything from lighting to rugs and furniture is designed as Maritime reproductions for a modern context, made in Canada where possible, said Armour McCrea. This custome-designed chair is just one example of that attention to detail and authenticity.
“We continue to refine some details,” Armour McCrae said. “We want to create unique ancillary spaces and experiences, and these exclusive, one-of-a-kind experiences will be rolled out and made public. We are also concerned with the physicality of the space, and the opportunities for the guests in the hotel and beyond.”

This signing underscores Marriott International’s growing premium portfolio in Canada, where the company now has five open Autograph Collection hotels across the country – including the Algonquin Resort in St. Andrews, N.B., Kananaskis Mountain Lodge in Kananaskis Village, Alta., Civic Hotel in Surrey, B.C., the DOUGLAS in downtown Vancouver and the iconic Hotel Saskatchewan in Regina. “MUIR brings an authentic and luxurious Nova Scotian hotel experience to our growing portfolio of Autograph Collection hotels in Canada,” Loehr said.

He added that Marriott has signed deals with four other Autograph Collection properties in Burlington, Ont., Montreal, Calgary and Saskatoon.

Desmond Acheson.
General manager Desmond Acheson joined MUIR as its first employee in February — three weeks before people started working from home due to COVID-19. While Armour McCrea is responsible for the design and building of the project, Acheson said his job is to be ready to step in once the hotel is open for business. He is looking at the service infrastructure — how staff would serve coffee; how to serve a martini. It’s too early at this time to determine how these things will be affected by COVID-19 when the hotel opens next year. “My focus is on quality and relationship to the environment; how people here operate; what they expect and what they like.”

“Food is a critical part of this — I call it the ‘theatre’ of a hotel.” MUIR’s dining options will include a three-meal a-day restaurant at street level, overlooking the plaza and the ocean; the lobby bar; and a residents’ and members’ bar on the third floor with an outdoor terrace looking out at the harbour.

“We will have a 1,000-square-foot meeting room, which will be an art gallery as well. Slowly, it is all coming together and it is just fascinating.

“I went into the showroom and thought I knew what to expect, but I felt like I was in a stateroom on a luxury liner. The whole focus is on what it feels like to be a Nova Scotian, in a modern way.”

Acheson has a resume that spans more than three decades in luxury properties in many countries including Brunei, Bahrain and Thailand. He has worked in what is now one of the other Marriott Autograph Collection hotels in Canada, then known as the Delta Lodge at Kananaskis. “I’ve been terribly lucky with the places I’ve been able to work. The goal is to have service that is understated luxury — but not all over you. If you come in tired and chilly, we will offer you a hot drink. We won’t wait for you to ask — we’ll provide anticipatory service. The guest doesn’t feel fussed over, but rather looked after. My background in various hotels around the world helped me understand how important that is.”

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 8:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 1:58 PM

I finally got down to the waterfront for the first time this summer and went to check out Queens Marque. I was very disappointed to see that access through the site is blocked off and no sea bridge is operating this year. The sidewalk on Lower Water is open now, which helps a little, but continuous water access is such an important part of the waterfront experience. I don't think they should have been permitted to remove the sea bridge until continuous access through the site could be provided.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 10:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Last edited by someone123; Aug 16, 2020 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 7:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 11:57 AM
Just 183 km north of...

This building is looking good from all angles. I'm hopeful that the wharves will be lined with floating docks to provide docking space for tourist and local pleasure boaters.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:01 PM
life in the present

Great pics thanks!! Been fun watching the progress of the Queen's Marque from here on the West Coast. Total crown-jewel in Halifax Harbour, hopefully it will set a new benchmark for quality along the Harbourfront for furture developments.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 7:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I thought this view was interesting. It shows Queen's Marque near the surface parking by Sackville Landing. I wonder if this surface parking will go away when the Queen's Marque parkade opens?

Looks like it's about 20 spots while the Queen's Marque parkade will have 300 stalls. Of course, the Queen's Marque parkade is not 100% net new public parking since it will have parking for the residents and businesses and since there was a surface lot there before.

Source

As the big surface lots disappear and more structured parking is built, I think the city should try to encourage redevelopment of the little bits of surface parking that remain. Press Block will be another example of shifting surface parking to structured parking.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 11:18 AM

Given HRM's war on motorists and their strategy to keep all cars out of downtown, parking will become less of an issue since the number of people visiting will drop considerably given that only pedestrians and cyclists will be frequenting the area.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 12:55 PM

If there was truly a war on motorists as you say, then they would just eliminate all public parking so that motorists would not come downtown. However, that does not appear to be the case.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
If there was truly a war on motorists as you say, then they would just eliminate all public parking so that motorists would not come downtown. However, that does not appear to be the case.
I truly believe Keith's vision of utopia is Halifax being one giant parking lot.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Quite the contrary, they are making it as difficult and expensive as possible to bring a car into the DT. I would not want to be in the retail or bar/resto business DT over the next couple of years. It will be deadly, partly due to HRM's measures.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 4:55 PM

^
I believe you'll find, after looking at virtially any world-class city, that a lack of cars in the city centre does not contribute to urban decline. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 8:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
^
I believe you'll find, after looking at virtially any world-class city, that a lack of cars in the city centre does not contribute to urban decline. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Keith is so consistent in his derision of anything other than driving I’m sure with some code he could turn his account into a bot.

I agree with you, but at a certain point arguing with strangers on the internet gets hard on the head.

The local businesses will be supported by the hundreds of residents, hotel visitors, and workers living and working in a space that was once occupied by empty cars.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 8:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
The local businesses will be supported by the hundreds of residents, hotel visitors, and workers living and working in a space that was once occupied by empty cars.
The shift away from surface lots has been happening in Halifax since about the 1970's. I think it has clearly been pretty positive. I remember when the Lord Nelson had a parking lot next door and of course Spring Garden Road has its Clyde Street lots which are now mostly gone. The area is more vibrant now than it was in the early 2000's and is much nicer for pedestrians.

It's a bit complicated because we have also seen a shift toward big suburban retailers (e.g. IKEA) and online shopping, plus Halifax went through economic doldrums from about 1990-2005. I believe that without infill downtown the natural retail trend would have been decline and so the net impact is bigger than what it seems.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Self-driving cars aimlessly driving around the downtown with nobody inside them is perhaps a mildly interesting plot for another CGI-filled movie but otherwise is a figment of the urban planner's imagination. Betting on keeping all those businesses alive thanks to just the singles and childless couples wealthy enough to reside downtown is similarly fictitious. If we are counting on the workers to keep them alive then you are limited to a M-F 8AM to 6PM window of opportunity and even then those people are mostly, y'know, working.

The bulk of HRM's residents do not live downtown. Actively working to keep them away from the area as HRM is doing is a sure-fire way to put whatever businesses are silly enough to locate there into a tailspin. Prepare for the reckoning over the next few years if this Council is not replaced and the HRM Planning Dept purged.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth