HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 11:27 PM

Has the opening been pushed further back because of the pandemic? The anchor posts for the floating bridge are gone.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 11:03 AM

Stewart McKelvey has already moved their offices in. Good question about the public space though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I'm feeling the same thing. Or even London.
I think its down to the midrise, waterfront with juxtaposed high quality materials.
Getting the same vibe but, hate to say it, I reckon some of it's just the narrowness of the street due to construction materials.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 7:26 PM

*deleted*

Last edited by pblaauw; Apr 2, 2020 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 8:14 PM

More angles on the blog.

You may notice some streetscaping changes in the foreground of some photos. This will be a protected bike lane for Lower Water Street approved in the Regional Centre AAA Bikeways Plan. Armour Group has agreed to construct the section from MMoA to George Street as part of their street reinstatement work. Construction Plan - Regional Council Agenda - April 14, 2020

'Halifax Developments Blog (Photos by David Jackson)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
More angles on the blog.

You may notice some streetscaping changes in the foreground of some photos. This will be a protected bike lane for Lower Water Street approved in the Regional Centre AAA Bikeways Plan. Armour Group has agreed to construct the section from MMoA to George Street as part of their street reinstatement work. Construction Plan - Regional Council Agenda - April 14, 2020
That design looks like it will make it easy to collide with cyclists when they re-enter at the end of the block.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:33 AM

Great photos, thanks! I like the irregular stone seating. That cobblestone strip is crying out for some trees to provide shade, but I don't see any tree pits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That design looks like it will make it easy to collide with cyclists when they re-enter at the end of the block.
It does seem kind of dangerous. That side of the street might not be a travel lane – it could have car parking up to the intersection, which would be a little safer. But then motorists might be completely unaware of the cycle track until it suddenly merges with the roadway.

IMO an ideal fix would be to close the stub end of George Street and turn the area around the Dockyard Clock into a nice plaza with seating and trees, so there wouldn't be any right-turning car traffic.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:14 PM

A 6 foot wide bike lane but the sidewalk with the bollards at the MMOA is less than 4 feet.
Nice to know that thousands of pedestrians are less important that a few dozen cyclists.
The bike lane looks to be in place, look at the grey area level with the top of the curbs; the staff report indicates the lane would be raised 6 inches above street level. Some people believe the left turn up Prince should be banned. Trucks with 50' containers will continue to head north on Lower Water.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 8:42 PM

Sorry for the long post! Was walking around downtown today and am really impressed with Queen's Marque so far.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 3:06 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Any idea of the hotel going in this development?

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 4:43 PM

The stone/steel bench/planters and the linear lighting in the paving look pretty great.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 5:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The stone/steel bench/planters and the linear lighting in the paving look pretty great.
I like the Stewart McKelvey entrance too. I guess that's what more Muntz metal cladding might have looked like.

These finishes look up to par with what you'd expect to see in a nicer business or tourist district of a major city. Halifax is hit or miss in this area. To be fair it's not a big city and has a larger dose of this than normal for its size. To me, the new Queen's Marque finishes, or the redone part of Province House, or the Dominion Public Building or Bank of NS seem up to this standard. But the Dennis site and Chebucto Landing are not. The Grand Parade is somewhere in between, with some high quality elements and some not-so-high elements that were added ad hoc.

The waterfront still has too many empty lots but the boardwalk itself is great.

Hopefully one day all of these little pieces will all add up to a cohesive whole.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I like the Stewart McKelvey entrance too. I guess that's what more Muntz metal cladding might have looked like.

These finishes look up to par with what you'd expect to see in a nicer business or tourist district of a major city. Halifax is hit or miss in this area. To be fair it's not a big city and has a larger dose of this than normal for its size. To me, the new Queen's Marque finishes, or the redone part of Province House, or the Dominion Public Building or Bank of NS seem up to this standard. But the Dennis site and Chebucto Landing are not. The Grand Parade is somewhere in between, with some high quality elements and some not-so-high elements that were added ad hoc.

The waterfront still has too many empty lots but the boardwalk itself is great.

Hopefully one day all of these little pieces will all add up to a cohesive whole.
Did they decide not to add the Muntz metal to the exterior cladding elsewhere? I was really looking forward to that aspect of the development.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8tr View Post
Did they decide not to add the Muntz metal to the exterior cladding elsewhere? I was really looking forward to that aspect of the development.
All of the brackets are still in place so maybe they just had trouble in production? Curious that there is no sign of it yet.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:45 PM

The original renderings had the glass and some features as red. I see they are certainly not red in actuality. Did I miss where this was changed?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 5:11 PM
hi

Some details have been announced on the Queen's Marque hotel: Five-star hotel planned for Queen’s Marque in Halifax

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Some details have been announced on the Queen's Marque hotel: Five-star hotel planned for Queen’s Marque in Halifax
The video at the link you shared makes me excited to see the building finish - I doubt the hotel will affect me much, but I'm looking forward to seeing this (hopefully) add something great to the boardwalk/waterfront.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 11:40 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The video at the link you shared makes me excited to see the building finish - I doubt the hotel will affect me much, but I'm looking forward to seeing this (hopefully) add something great to the boardwalk/waterfront.
I saw some Instagram videos from somebody who got a tour and the water side looks quite nice. There’s even a patch of greenery and some trees near the stairs into the harbour.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:32 PM

Untitled by Hali87, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hali87 View Post

untitled by hali87, on flickr
Love this angle! The sandstone is a nice compliment to the neighbouring buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth