HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 9:40 PM

The amount of time this has taken to get to this point is just ridiculous. the amount of time it will take until something is actually built is even more ridiculous. What is the WDC thinking?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 9:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What is the WDC thinking?
They get to collect their paycheques either way?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The amount of time this has taken to get to this point is just ridiculous. the amount of time it will take until something is actually built is even more ridiculous. What is the WDC thinking?
Well i give the developer credit to sticking with it as the WDC extended the lease at the bio science building in 2006 (expiring 2011). Most would have pulled out. If the project was not stalled by this lease extension i truly believe a majority of the project would have been built by now.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:30 AM
Honored Member

Might there be a connection between the announcement of the Queen's landing proposal and the Nova Centre proposal on the same day by the NDP? I also read that the NDP is considering a land swap in this area next to the Law Courts building.

The reason that I was thinking about this is because I watched the Haligonia.ca broadcast of the Nova Centre financing discussions at HRM council today and heard an interesting fact - it will take about one full year to finishing excavating the two blocks for the Nova Centre (and I can add that they will be excavating 50 - 70 feet deep). So I started wondering where all that Nova Centre rock would be dumped. The Queen's landing is only a few blocks away from the Nova Centre and the Queen's Landing isn't expected to begin for at least 5 years. Could the Queen's Landing area be the planned location for an in-fill project to get rid of all the Nova Centre excavated rock? If not, then where would it be dumped?

Here is a map link http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/s723fp2lfdogoynp . The two locations are very close and were announced on the same day by the NDP ...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Might there be a connection between the announcement of the Queen's landing proposal and the Nova Centre proposal on the same day by the NDP? I also read that the NDP is considering a land swap in this area next to the Law Courts building.

The reason that I was thinking about this is because I watched the Haligonia.ca broadcast of the Nova Centre financing discussions at HRM council today and heard an interesting fact - it will take about one full year to finishing excavating the two blocks for the Nova Centre (and I can add that they will be excavating 50 - 70 feet deep). So I started wondering where all that Nova Centre rock would be dumped. The Queen's landing is only a few blocks away from the Nova Centre and the Queen's Landing isn't expected to begin for at least 5 years. Could the Queen's Landing area be the planned location for an in-fill project to get rid of all the Nova Centre excavated rock? If not, then where would it be dumped?

Here is a map link http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/s723fp2lfdogoynp . The two locations are very close and were announced on the same day by the NDP ...
Simple answer, no. Queens Landing will be removing fill as they have underground parking within the proposal.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:55 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm guessing they'd be trucking it out to Bedford or whatever.

It will be cool to watch them excavate down that far. 70 feet is quite deep.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:15 AM

Most of the rock on the peninsula is pyritic slate, Bedford is currently the only nearby dumping spot for it. An old classmate of mine works for the contracter doing the excavation on the convention center if it goes and they will be blasting much of the material.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:18 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm guessing they'd be trucking it out to Bedford or whatever.

It will be cool to watch them excavate down that far. 70 feet is quite deep.
Fingers crossed.

NC will clearly add some parking in that area...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:18 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Most of the rock on the peninsula is pyritic slate, Bedford is currently the only nearby dumping spot for it. An old classmate of mine works for the contracter doing the excavation on the convention center if it goes and they will be blasting much of the material.
Thank for the information. I guess they will need several trucks running continuously to get it out there. Is that where the excavated ground from the Trillium was trucked to?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Logical and probably correct. The Bedford Waterfront is also owned by a provincial body so if fill is still required then both projects are likely to get cheap dumping in the Basin, especially Queen's Landing.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:45 AM

Maybe they could use it to jack up Citadel Hill 70 feet or so and let us get some taller buildings downtown.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:51 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Maybe they could use it to jack up Citadel Hill 70 feet or so and let us get some taller buildings downtown.
The idea of infilling the Citadel might upset some people (me included).

On a related topic, they might find some tunnels running from the Citadel Hill down to George's Island during excavation (apparently this myth has been debunked, but you never know...)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 8:47 AM

Quote:
pffft, you and I both know, the HT would complain the the hill would be too high and would ruin the historical view from like the armories or public gardens, or something.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:06 PM

I took this from Dawn Sloane's facebook page.

Helping preserve HMCS Sackville Info and Motion for Council

HMCS Sackville is "the very last Canadian corvette" from the WWII era. There is a ship from the WWII era currently alongside Hamilton. The name is HMCS Haida and it happens to be a Tribal class ship.

The Corvettes served a huge role for our Navy during World War II. They were built quickly and in big numbers. Following construction and based on an urgent need, little time was lost before putting them into service.

Even though the waters of the Atlantic were swarming with U boats, they managed in cooperation with other ships to keep the sea lanes between North America and Britain open so the supplies could get through.

The HMCS Sackville is Canada’s Naval War Memorial. There is a move to preserve Canada’s Last Corvette in an enclosed sea water berth next to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

The Naval Memorial Trust is requesting HRM to help advance the design process by requesting a financial contribution of $100, 000 over two years.
This support would:
Provide a rationale for HRM to be a stakeholder at the table during the design process
Provide a clear signal to all concerned of HRM’s interest in the completion of the public portion of the QLP
Provide a number of benefits in common to all major corporate donors:
Membership of CNMT
Public acknowledgement of investment
Complimentary use of ship for Municipal Events

I am asking for your support to have staff generate a report with viable options for this endeavour to help preserve the Nations Last Corvette.
Examples of aid:
30,000 over 3yrs
45,000 over 2yrs
Full support in the 2011 budget

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 5:19 PM

Just a bullet highlighting funding for the following, from the provincial 2011-12 Capital Plan, page 11 at:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/finance/site-fi...lan2011-12.pdf

"CableWharf-Queens Landing project and BioScience building demolition"

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Just a bullet highlighting funding for the following, from the provincial 2011-12 Capital Plan, page 11 at:

http://www.gov.ns.ca/finance/site-fi...lan2011-12.pdf

"CableWharf-Queens Landing project and BioScience building demolition"
Seems consistent with the previous information in that the building would be coming down in 2011.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 6:00 PM
Fizzix geek

yes most tenants have now moved into the LSRI bioscience space on Summer (official grand opening will be later this year). Last time I was at a meeting in the Bioscience building on water street (a month ago) there was just a handful of places still occupied, and I think they are in the process of moving.

Just another parking-lot/hole on the waterfront, given that there are absolutely no plans to move this project forward any time soon (according to McCrea).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 7:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Does he plan to start getting approvals and so forth or is this going to continue to be in limbo?

What else is required for this to proceed? Federal and municipal funding? It's not even really clear what the scope of this project is at this point.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 7:52 PM
Fizzix geek

I am going from memory here, but I have a vague recollection of him saying it would be a while before he would do anything. The context of the article that I remember was him blaming the delays on a lack of government funding for the public portions, which he then cited as more evidence for why he thought the Nova Centre shouldn't go ahead (since it was impacting his projects). I might have the exact details of that wrong, but it was something along those lines.

EDIT: I went back and found an AllNS article from last October in which he says it will be perhaps 10 years before something is built on that site. He did in that particular article state that part of the issue was dealing with 3 levels of government in terms of funding, but it must have been another article I had in my mind where he was fuming about NC getting funding and then being able to build the office/hotel, which was going to impact his ability to do his own ones.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 9:29 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
yes most tenants have now moved into the LSRI bioscience space on Summer (official grand opening will be later this year). Last time I was at a meeting in the Bioscience building on water street (a month ago) there was just a handful of places still occupied, and I think they are in the process of moving.

Just another parking-lot/hole on the waterfront, given that there are absolutely no plans to move this project forward any time soon (according to McCrea).
There should be a limit to how many bombed out prime downtown sites you are allowed to hold hostage at one time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth